Combining knitting with crocheting

Old August 13th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Padishar Creel

Default Combining knitting with crocheting

On a future project, I am considering knitting a bedspread afghan with
seed stitch and slipping the first stitch on each row in order to have
a nice tight stitch to do a crocheted border around the entire afghan.
Has anyone seen a pattern something like this that combines crochet
with knitting?

I am thinking about using Lion Brand Wool-Ease® Thick & Quick®: (or
equivalent) http://cache.lionbrand.com/yarns/we-thick.htm to make
the bedspread afghan. I want to make this for my eldest daughter and
she has a queen size bed. My question, is that I want a 6 inch
contrasting crocheted border with a single color seed-stitched internal
panel. I would love if'n you talented color coordinated folks would
help me pick a light color center panel with a darker colored border
and tell me how much of each yarn I would need to complete such a large
project. I have flex needles that can be configured to knit any width,
so I don't need to do separate center panels and then stitch them
together later. I can do the center panel as one piece. I would be
using the recommended needle and hook sizes for this Lion yarn - Size
14 needles for knitting and Size N hook for crocheting.

Thanks for your help, and happy hooking and needling to all of you!

Padishar Creel

Old August 13th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary

I have made several afghans with knitted panels, squares, or whole, and
edged with crochet. It works very well.

Old August 13th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On 12 Aug 2006 21:28:57 -0700, "Padishar Creel"
spewed forth :

On a future project, I am considering knitting a bedspread afghan with
seed stitch and slipping the first stitch on each row in order to have

All I can see are the miles and miles and miles and miles of Martyr
Stitch...

I'm turning out "yardage" stockinette for baby blankets on one of my
antique flatbed machines using baby-weight superwash wool. Ladies in
the hospital's volunteer brigade crochet or knit on edgings, but they
have a beaded edge to work with because of the nature of the
machine-knitted fabric. I much prefer picking up and knitting or
crocheting into a chained slip-stitch edging when given a choice of
initial construction method.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old August 14th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article . com,
Padishar Creel wrote:
On a future project, I am considering knitting a bedspread afghan with
seed stitch and slipping the first stitch on each row in order to have
a nice tight stitch to do a crocheted border around the entire afghan.
Has anyone seen a pattern something like this that combines crochet
with knitting?

Not exactly like that, but when I first started knitting in the 1960s,
virtually all patterns had a narrow crocheted edge. It's not at all
unheard of. American single crochet (UK double crochet) is almost
the same as binding off, anyway.

I am thinking about using Lion Brand Wool-Ease® Thick & Quick®: (or
equivalent) http://cache.lionbrand.com/yarns/we-thick.htm to make
the bedspread afghan. I want to make this for my eldest daughter and
she has a queen size bed.

Thick & Quick on US size 14 needles ought to work up fairly quickly,
even for a queen size. That'll be a thick and heavy afghan.

My question, is that I want a 6 inch contrasting crocheted border with
a single color seed-stitched internal panel. I would love if'n you
talented color coordinated folks would help me pick a light color center
panel with a darker colored border and tell me how much of each yarn
I would need to complete such a large project.

snip
I would be using the recommended needle and hook sizes for this Lion
yarn - Size 14 needles for knitting and Size N hook for crocheting.

Not having the yarn and needles, all I can say about gauge is that you'll
have to swatch. Crochet is said to take three times as much yarn as
knitting, to cover the same area. Seed stitch will take up a little more
than stockinette because of all the purling. Swatch with the yarn in the
pattern you'll be using - a six inch square should be enough - mark the
spot where you stopped knitting, and rip it out and measure the length of
the yarn with a yardstick. Then multiply by the number of six-inch squares
in the intended top panel, and that's how many yards of the light color
you should plan to have.

For the crocheted border, swatch again, or maybe you could just allow
three times as much yarn as you would have used to do the border in seed
stitch, plus some extra. It's best to swatch; so much depends on the
pattern!

I'm terrible at colors; I would use neutrals, maybe an off-white, cream,
or eggshell shade of white for the center and a tan or even chocolate
brown for the crocheted edging. My reasoning here is totally practical;
edgings tend to get more wear and tear and pick up more dirt than the
center, so a dark color will extend the time between washings. If you
do go with a brighter color, use one she likes - there are lovely dark
jewel-like shades of all colors: emerald green, amethyst purple, burgundy,
garnet red, etc. I would definitely not use variegated yarn; it obscures
the pattern.

=Tamar