Baking thin pieces of clay

Old September 27th 05, 01:00 AM
Charles Woolever

Default Baking thin pieces of clay

I tested baking a piece of Sculpy III tonight. I have some 1"x1"x 1/16"
thick squares I'm making. The temp for Sculpy is 275F and 15 minutes for
1/4" thick. So, based on my one fourth that thickness, I baked for 1/4
the time. I burned it up! Any ideas on how long to bake this?

Also, I tried two different methods to transfer an image to the squares.
One was to burnish the B&W laser printer image to the square, let sit 5
minutes, and then bake the square with the paper on it.

The other was to burnish the paper onto the clay and then blot it with
gin. Let sit for 20 minutes and then bake.

Both methods created the most faint purple image on the clay, which then
burned up in the oven.

I need help. Thanks.

Charles
Old September 27th 05, 01:54 AM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Charles,

Did you test the temperature of your oven with an oven thermometer? Most
toaster and kitchen ovens can be off by 25-75 degrees. Let the oven
thoroughly preheat, then place the thermometer in the center of the oven
rack and let it equalize for at least 20 minutes, then adjust the oven
temperature accordingly and retest. Although the recommended temp is
275, you can lower it and bake for longer as well.

You can get scads of good info he
http://www.glassattic.com ,http://polymerclaycentral.com, and
http://www.pcpolyzine.com for dozens of tips, links and tutorials.

----------
Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay & Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

Nurturing doesn't end at birth: breastfeed, co-sleep, babywear.

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness.
(Dave Barry)

Need quality, inexpensive web hosting? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com. Shopping carts, blogs, image galleries, content management and more!

Old September 28th 05, 01:11 AM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Charles,

If you check the glass attic site, there are many tutorials for transfers.

----------

Charles Woolever wrote:

I tested baking a piece of Sculpy III tonight. I have some 1"x1"x 1/16"
thick squares I'm making. The temp for Sculpy is 275F and 15 minutes for
1/4" thick. So, based on my one fourth that thickness, I baked for 1/4
the time. I burned it up! Any ideas on how long to bake this?

Also, I tried two different methods to transfer an image to the squares.
One was to burnish the B&W laser printer image to the square, let sit 5
minutes, and then bake the square with the paper on it.

The other was to burnish the paper onto the clay and then blot it with
gin. Let sit for 20 minutes and then bake.

Both methods created the most faint purple image on the clay, which then
burned up in the oven.

I need help. Thanks.

Charles

Kinda off-topic, but no good clay groups to post to Phil Pottery 12 April 30th 04 12:39 PM
Some experiments I have been trying..... Ray Jones Polymer Clay 5 March 26th 04 09:26 PM
thin clay... Bead Sprite Polymer Clay 8 October 2nd 03 02:37 PM
? about finishing Polymer Clay pieces Karleen/Vibrant Jewels Beads 26 September 24th 03 07:45 PM
Busy clay morning... Karlee in Kansas Beads 4 July 16th 03 08:36 PM