newbie looking to buy an electronic knitting machine...

Old February 9th 04, 12:26 PM
Terri

Default newbie looking to buy an electronic knitting machine...

I have never owned a knitting machine and would like to get into it
for a business but I have no idea of where to start. I plan to be able
to make sweaters and afghans, etc... and I would like to have a
machine that can do cables as well as all of the knit and purl
stitches. Can anyone make a recommendation for a good starter machine?
There are no retailers in my city, the closest is a 2 1/2 hour drive
so any help any can give me would be appreciated.
Old February 9th 04, 07:59 PM
Pogonip

Terri wrote:

I have never owned a knitting machine and would like to get into it
for a business but I have no idea of where to start. I plan to be able
to make sweaters and afghans, etc... and I would like to have a
machine that can do cables as well as all of the knit and purl
stitches. Can anyone make a recommendation for a good starter machine?
There are no retailers in my city, the closest is a 2 1/2 hour drive
so any help any can give me would be appreciated.

Any knitting machine can make cables, because it is not
automatic. You have to take stitches off the needles and
move them by hand. It is not difficult at all.

I would suggest a good solid punchcard machine, such as a
Singer/Studio/Silver Reed. Bond machines may be more
readily available, but are much more limited in function
and more difficult to use from what their owners report.

If you are not near a dealer, you will need either some
very good books (like the Tami Nobuyuki workbooks) or
some videos, depending on your learning style.

You don't say where you are, which is of importance. You
might try a Google.com search. You'll come up with such
pages as http://www.burles.com/machine.htm,
http://www.clearwaterknits.com/ and http://charmknits.com/
which should keep you busy for a while. I would suggest
you get your first machine from a dealer who has checked
out the machine and guarantees it.

Good luck, and come back.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old February 10th 04, 01:21 AM
terri

Sorry for leaving out where I am from. I am in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
Windsor is not a city for crafters so I am relying on kind people like
yourslf for information on what to do. I will check out the links you gave
me and see if it helps me out. I will look at the punch card machines but I
am also going to look at the electronic machines. Do you have any knowledge
of the E-6000 or a good electronic machine? Thanks for all of your help
and I will let you know what I end up with..

Old February 10th 04, 04:48 AM
StoneMoon

Hi
I don't have an electronic but I do have a Passap. They are
wonderful machines, very robust. The only place to get them in
Canada, retail, I think is www.passapcanada.com.
I found that you really need lessons though. So it would be best
to find someone close who can teach you.

Louise

"terri" wrote in message
: Sorry for leaving out where I am from. I am in Windsor,
Ontario, Canada.
: Windsor is not a city for crafters so I am relying on kind
people like
: yourslf for information on what to do. I will check out the
links you gave
: me and see if it helps me out. I will look at the punch card
machines but I
: am also going to look at the electronic machines. Do you have
any knowledge
: of the E-6000 or a good electronic machine? Thanks for all
of your help
: and I will let you know what I end up with..
:
:
:
:
[...]