Pattern problem -- I need someone who can think better than me

Old January 19th 05, 04:17 PM
Violet \F'loonslayer\ Volfie

Default Pattern problem -- I need someone who can think better than me

I found a nice little site that has a BoTM for free on it. The problem is,
I can't print out the pattern so I've been drafting up the blocks from the
instructions. I'm having a problem figuring out one piece of the pattern
and I need someone who thinks more mathematically than I do to tell me if I
am making the pattern right.

If you would be so kind, go to: http://www.animas.com/bASKETcASE/index.html
and click on the instructions for the December templates and then on the
second "template" line. The pattern piece is labled as a 2" diamond and
it's NOT a diamond. I finally figured out the angle (I think it was 60
degrees iirc) but please tell me: if I simply use the correct angle and make
a pattern piece that is 2-1/2" long *as measured along the angled line*, am
I getting the right size piece? Or does it have to be drafted differently
because of the angle?

I could make it, of course, but that would waste FABRIC. *gasp* I did
make it out of paper blocks and while all the pieces fit together okay,
there seems to be a size difference between the upper part of the backet and
the lower part.

Sorry if this was very confusing. Not only can't I figure out anything
mathematical *ever* but I can't talk straight today either.

TIA,
Giselle

Old January 19th 05, 04:39 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Violet \"F'loonslayer\" Volfie" wrote:

I found a nice little site that has a BoTM for free on it. The problem is,
I can't print out the pattern so I've been drafting up the blocks from the
instructions. I'm having a problem figuring out one piece of the pattern
and I need someone who thinks more mathematically than I do to tell me if I
am making the pattern right.

I'm probably not the right person for this.... I'm curious, though;
why can't you print it out? If it would help, I could email you the
file, but I suspect you already have that or you wouldn't be able to be
as specific about the problem as you are.

If you would be so kind, go to: http://www.animas.com/bASKETcASE/index.html
and click on the instructions for the December templates and then on the
second "template" line. The pattern piece is labled as a 2" diamond and
it's NOT a diamond. I finally figured out the angle (I think it was 60
degrees iirc) but please tell me: if I simply use the correct angle and make
a pattern piece that is 2-1/2" long *as measured along the angled line*, am
I getting the right size piece? Or does it have to be drafted differently
because of the angle?

You're right that it's not a diamond. It's a parallelogram, IIRC my
terminology. I'd draft the 2" piece exactly and then add the 1/4" seam
allowance all around. It sounds the same as drafting the 2.5" piece, but
there could be glitches, as there are for triangles.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old January 19th 05, 04:57 PM
Valkyrie

If the problem is that you don't have a printer you can a few things to get
around that. Zip on over to a friend who does have a printer and print it
out on theirs. Places like Kinko's will print it out for you. Many will go
online with their computer and print it out for you or you can mail the file
to them and they will print it. The third would be to ask somebody in this
newsgroup to print it out and then send it to you in snail mail.......I've
heard rumors that the women in these quilting/sewing newsgroups will do all
kinds of things with the promise of chocolate I'd be more than happy to
print it out and mail it to you but my printer died (actually was killed)
when I moved and it hasn't been replaced yet.

If somebody is going to print and mail this for you DO NOT put your address
in the newsgroup post......correspond privately in email to make the
arrangements.

Val

Old January 19th 05, 04:58 PM
Violet \F'loonslayer\ Volfie

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
In article ,
"Violet \"F'loonslayer\" Volfie" wrote:

I found a nice little site that has a BoTM for free on it. The problem

is,
I can't print out the pattern so I've been drafting up the blocks from

the
instructions. I'm having a problem figuring out one piece of the

pattern
and I need someone who thinks more mathematically than I do to tell me

if I
am making the pattern right.

I'm probably not the right person for this.... I'm curious, though;
why can't you print it out?

No printer. Well, I have one, actually, but it's having a nervous
breakdown or something. I wants to insist I'm not feeding it paper when I
am.

But when I looked at the files I downloaded to Acrobat, they didn't look the
right size either. They look too big. I thought it would be easier just to
draft them -- until I got to this one.

Giselle (thanks for offering, tho'! )

Old January 19th 05, 05:07 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

To me it does not look like the two distances marked as 2" are both the
same???

Not on the templates, and not on the picture of the finished block.

However, if they really mean that, I think you need to measure 2 and 7/8
along the angled line. But this is based on both horizontal and vertical
measurement being 2" (which I think is wrong).

Another idea, if you are fiddling about with paper pieces anyway:
Measure the _finished_ length of the top of the basket. Divide by two.
This should be the finished length of the angled side of you leaves.

Assuming the 2" horizontal is correct, this should be pretty easy. If
not, it looks like the horizontal finished length is 1/3 of the finished
length of the background rectangles on the side of the block.

Does this make any sense at all???

Hanne in London

Old January 19th 05, 05:12 PM
Roberta Zollner

It's definitely 45 degrees! The easiest thing might be to draft the whole
block, so you have a guide to what goes where, then trace off each piece
separately, and then add a quarter inch all around.
Why can't you print a pdf file? Forgive me, I'm nosy. But even if you did
print it, you might end up re-drafting anyway if your printer is a little
bit off.
Roberta in D

Old January 19th 05, 05:47 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

Doh, you're right, it is 45 degrees.

If the basket is from a 4" square (finished), then the long side of the
parallelogram should be 2 and 7/8 (finished).

Hanne in London

Old January 19th 05, 07:35 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Hanne Gottliebsen wrote:

To me it does not look like the two distances marked as 2" are both the
same???

Not on the templates, and not on the picture of the finished block.

I thought the same thing, Hanne, so I printed out the template. Once I
remembered to have it print without any size adjustment for the paper,
it came out to 2" finished *exactly*! Could've fooled me, though!
Old January 19th 05, 08:21 PM
Violet \F'loonslayer\ Volfie

Hanne Gottliebsen wrote:

To me it does not look like the two distances marked as 2" are both the
same???

Not on the templates, and not on the picture of the finished block.

I thought the same thing, Hanne, so I printed out the template. Once I
remembered to have it print without any size adjustment for the paper,
it came out to 2" finished *exactly*! Could've fooled me, though!

So what was the measurement on the angled line? That's the million dollar
question!

Giselle (on the printed one, I mean)