I brought home a new old sm

Old February 14th 10, 12:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Default I brought home a new old sm

Sunny wrote:
I'm glad to see I'm not odd, lots more of us sewing machine rescuers
out there. Kate, the day I see a Singer Rocket is the day I throw
out three others to make room for it. I really want one of those and
the price is usually so high. I've only seen two for sale since I
started sort of looking a couple years ago. People just don't let go
of those babies. I've never seen one in person. Think I might swoon.

Sunny

I didn't have the cash the one time I saw one, and let it go...
Cheap, too, at £150, but if you don't have it, it doesn't matter if it's
a tenner or a million!

I just keep hoping... One day it'll come. Hey, they ain't the best
sewing machine Singer ever made (there are arguments in faveour of
several models, but the 201 seems to take it on electricals, for
durability, reliability and stitch quality), but it sure is the most
STYLISH thing they ever made!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 14th 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Edna Pearl

Wow, that looks like one of my mother's machines. Exactly, except the
housing was black. I would love to have that. Congratulations on a great
find!

My mom's machines didn't actually need oiling every *day*. My machine
manual says the same thing. (Mine is a basic cast iron and steel model
that is just the same as your/my mother's machine for all purposes). You'll
quickly notice if you're over-oiling. "Every day" actually means every four
to six hours of sewing, for my Necchi.

My machine maintenance is as follows: I clean the bobbin case and race with
a soft, oily brush every time I change the bobbin. I oil the machine
thoroughly whenever I start sewing after a long haitus (months) or after a
big project. In addition to this periodic full oiling and cleaning, I oil
whenever -- and as soon as -- I feel the machine dragging or hesitating, or
if I have to reach up and turn the wheel to start it stitching. It's
usually pretty easy to see which moving parts are well-oiled and where parts
look a bit dry when you open up the machine and turn the wheel back and
forth. I just oil what looks like needs oiling and turn the wheel back and
forth with the machine open until I feel the oil has worked its way in and
the motion is slick.

My machine demands frequent oiling (by stalling or dragging) when I do FMQ;
not so much for routine sewing. Piecing patchwork really builds up the
fabric dust in the feed dogs and bobbin area very quickly, so I keep a soft,
small children's toothbrush in a plastic bag to clean that area regularly.

These machines are like the olf Volkswagen Beetles -- infinitely repairable.
There are quirks to any given machine, but these are real workhorses. I
envy your find!

ep

"Sunny" wrote in message
I went to my fav junk store today looking for old postcards and came
home short $27 but carrying a Kenmore 117.812 (circa 1948) in its
original carrying case. http://www.pbase.com/kuby/vintage_sewing_machines
Obviously this isn't my photo, but it's the same model and gives you
an idea of how it looks. Original manual in the case, all the feet
any person could possibly dream up, four bobbins, a couple needles. I
cleaned it up and gave it an oiling and she runs like a dream. It's
light enough to carry to classes and I may keep it and sell one of my
other 'extra' sewing machines. I looked on ebay and the price for this
machine is either $50 or $165. Take your pick.

I'm not a collector. I have never had a collection of anything (except
that in the pst 6 months I've been gifted by a number of people with
no connections with the beginnings of a little glass pig collection --
go figure) and I really don't like collecting because it means you
have things around that are of no use. Okay, so I have mountains
(really more like little hills) of fabric, but I could use any piece
of it at any moment that the spirit so moves me. but now I have an
embarrassing number of sewing machines, all of which work really
well.

This new puppy has a really pretty straight stitch, forward or
backward, and the feed dogs can be lowered. It's sturdy as heck. Needs
a lot, lot, lot more oiling before any real sewing. I'm headed out
tomorrow to buy a new can and a tube of machine grease for the gears.
The manual calls for daily oiling.

I know I'm not the only one with this sickness that commands one to
bring home stray sewing machines. Does anybody have more than ..... 6?
I have six SMs. I have space to use 2 of them. Four of them are
redundant. Groan.

Sunny
(buying sewing machines to avoid chewing my fingers off from stress)

Old February 14th 10, 11:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

My husband had never seen a Rocketeer until yesterday. I was showing
him pics of other old machines. As soon as he saw it, he just went
nuts and said "We have to get one of those and keep it in the living
room, open all the time." That doesn't mean I'm going out to find one
no matter the price and buy it. But I do think it means that someday
when I have a little stash of cash and spend it all when I find a good
Rocketeer deal, he won't give me a moment's question about why. And
will clear out something to make room for it in the living room.
Sometimes style does count.

Sunny

Oh, EP, thanks for the great info. I do have to jump start the machine
by turning the fly wheel. I am not going to sew on it until I can get
to the sewing machine store tomorrow for good oil and grease and a
better brush than I have.

Sunny
Old February 15th 10, 01:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

The rocketeer models are very cool. I prefer the 401 over them though.
The Rocketeer seems to be a re-styled version of the 401. The Rocketeer
seems to be a tad more frail. The pins on the side door are fragile, the
hinges on the top also can be. Both machines will serve very will though.
No zz on the 201 but what a beauty!

I sent a Rocketeer off to my son's girlfriend some months ago and a 401
to a neice. Both looked so nice, bright and well cared for. They were
each $35 at the thrift store. They are around. Just keep up the hunt.
I have moved out a lot of the machines around here. There still are more
than I need or can use because I really enjoy them but many fewer than
5 years ago. I think Irene wins on vintage machines.

We hit the Rose Bowl Swap meet this morning. 3 FW's. One for $250,
one $150 and one at $75 ( really not much to that one) All seemed
overpriced
for the condition and attachments. A couple of beautiful Sew-Handy toys
and a few other oddity machines. None came home today but I hope they
get good homes.
Taria

Old February 15th 10, 01:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dragonfly[_2_]

Yes.
Somewhere around 35-40. I'm not sure how many. Might be 45. The ones I use
the most often are an Elna with a tail (electric) from the 60s (for the
zigzag), a treadle from 1886 (White VS IIa), and a treadle from the late
1920s (Jones Medium CS).

Dragonfly

Old January 16th 16, 01:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Friday, February 12, 2010 at 8:55:36 PM UTC-5, Sunny wrote:
[...]

I have my mom's 1948 Kenmore 117.812, it is the machine I created the most on. I learned to sew on a Singer Treadle - my dad got rid of that because it was in his way. Now I have my mother in laws 1948 Singer, I have a 1956 Singer and I have a newer Kenmore from the 60's I believe, have not figured that one out yet.
Old February 23rd 16, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Hi, I just joined this groups.google.com site, am a dedicated quilter, is this SM still for sale?
thank you, pat
Old February 24th 16, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Hello and welcome to this group. Don't know how you found us, but glad you
posted. You might not realize that you responded to a 2010 post, but that's
OK. Lots of us who post to this group have a good many sewing machines, the
older ones and great new machines! We are from many different countries, so
let us know where you are. Hope to see your posts often!
Barbara in FL, USA

wrote in message

On Friday, February 12, 2010 at 8:55:36 PM UTC-5, Sunny wrote:
I went to my fav junk store today looking for old postcards and came
home short $27 but carrying a Kenmore 117.812 (circa 1948) in its
original carrying case. http://www.pbase.com/kuby/vintage_sewing_machines
Obviously this isn't my photo, but it's the same model and gives you
an idea of how it looks. Original manual in the case, all the feet
any person could possibly dream up, four bobbins, a couple needles. I
cleaned it up and gave it an oiling and she runs like a dream. It's
light enough to carry to classes and I may keep it and sell one of my
other 'extra' sewing machines. I looked on ebay and the price for this
machine is either $50 or $165. Take your pick.

(clip)