What is String Quilting??

Old April 18th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default What is String Quilting??

Is it quilting done with string?

Baffled...
Tricia

Old April 18th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/jclane/...20Piecing.html

Here's one explanation, Tricia!

chipper

ups.com...

Old April 18th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

AHHHHH! So it is like paper piecing only you aren't following numbers,
you are just adding each stripe on as you go.....(for the foundation
method), right?

Thanks,
T.

Old April 18th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!
My current take-along project is a pattern similar to the
first on this page using strings/narrow strips of fabric:
http://home.pmt.org/~awalter/string.html
I didn't use a foundation to attach the strips, just sewed them
together, cut them into triangles, pressed them w/ a dry iron
and a bit of spray starch to keep them in shape.
It's a great method for using lots of little scraps and
"string" strips of fabric.

http://www.quiltville.com/stringquiltingprimer.shtml

http://www.flavinglover.com/pieced_for_cover.htm

See the Depression (era) quilt:
http://www.auburn.edu/academic/other...ilt_styles.htm
I've quilted a couple of these antique tops, fun to see the variety
of prints and colors.

Of course, if you want to do this w/ string, go right ahead;
I'd call it crochet, but ...it's your quilt. ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy

On 4/18/06 9:15 AM, in article
, "Tricia"

Old April 18th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'll add to the other answers given. G
Most any quilt block can be done with "strings", make up your fabric by
sewing together strips, leftover pieces from the ends of strip sets and
what ever else you have. Cut squares, or rectangles or triangles as
needed from the pieced fabric. I've done it with and without
foundations, and they all work fine. It is a great way to use up those
pieces you trimmed off the end of the fabric piece that was 4" on one
side and 0" on the other, the leftovers from bindings or borders, or
even leftover triangles and such. any of it can be used to make "new
fabric" to use in blocks.
Traditionally something like muslin was used as a background or
"unifying" fabric, but I like using something brighter. G

Pati, in Phx

Old April 18th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I think you got it, but I wouldn't call it
paper piecing. (Why piece paper??) Most
people use thin fabric. I see the
retrospective essay about Flavin Glover
mentions paper as foundations in the1950s
String Quilts. But it is usually paper now.
Either way, I call it Foundation Piecing. PAT
in VA/USA

Old April 19th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I just used plain old unbleached muslin for my string quilt. None of
it is going to show through any where in the quilted piece.
Unfortunately I have a lot of little squares, and no plans for them as
a whole yet....but some day I might get there...

Dannielle

Old April 19th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Okay, mis-communication time. I mean like the background in something
like a star block. The center and points of string pieced fabric, the
other parts of muslin, etc. Not the foundation fabric, but fabric used
to accent the string pieced fabric in some blocks. Like string piecing
squares, then pairing with unpieced fabric to make pinwheel blocks and
so on.

Hope that helps. I did a string sampler a while back, 12 different
blocks made with all sorts of strings of fabric, from kiddy stuff to
Orientals, to batiks, Christmas, Hanuka, St. Patrick's, and more. Used
a bright teal marble to sash and in backgrounds.
Fun quilt.

Pati, in Phx

René wrote:
"Pati Cook" wrote in message
ink.net...
(Snip....) Traditionally something like muslin was used as a background or

"unifying" fabric, but I like using something brighter. G

Pati, in Phx

Pati, I'm thinking of doing a string quilt, but I don't understand what you
mean. If you use a background fabric (muslin or otherwise) why would it
matter what color it was? Wouldn't it be all covered up with the fabric
strings? It wouldn't show through, would it?

I'm finding so many good ideas for string quilts that I'm having trouble
coming to a decision of what I want to do first. So many quilts......

Thanks!

René

Old April 19th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hey, Tricia!

I'm really glad you asked that question. I've been wondering about the
string quilting process too.

I really appreciate all the messages in this thread, and especially the
samples and websites with directions. I've copied them all and put
them into a special folder on my hard drive. This might be a summer
time project for me. I sure have been getting lots of scraps lately.

Kay Ahr in Reno/Sparks, Nevada

World On A String -- Movie About Beads David Friedberg Beads 1 November 3rd 04 06:28 AM
Piggie's Quilting Winter..... Listpig Quilting 9 October 1st 04 12:39 AM
beginning machine quilting Patti Quilting 10 August 22nd 04 12:33 AM
Help!! Hand Quilting P8nPal Quilting 6 July 19th 04 06:09 PM
Quilting Design Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 1 November 24th 03 09:36 AM