dangers of lead

Old December 22nd 03, 06:25 AM
kasfam

Default dangers of lead

I have done some reading on lead solder and lead came. Some material is very
subtle, mentioning to clean the area well and wash your hands after use.
Other material I read puts fear into me, I am now leary of any small cut I
have. I have been doing soldering in my kitchen and they also mention not to
do this in any area where food it cooked.

What are the chances of lead poisining when this is just a hobby? And am I
starting to get a bit paranoid?

Old December 22nd 03, 05:38 PM
Kalera Stratton

In article n7wFb.12476$6b2.7664@edtnps84, "kasfam"
wrote:

I have done some reading on lead solder and lead came. Some material is very
subtle, mentioning to clean the area well and wash your hands after use.
Other material I read puts fear into me, I am now leary of any small cut I
have. I have been doing soldering in my kitchen and they also mention not to
do this in any area where food it cooked.

What are the chances of lead poisining when this is just a hobby? And am I
starting to get a bit paranoid?

Don't do it in your kitchen: heating lead releases lead fumes, particles
from which will settle on your food prep surfaces. Wash your hands after
working, don't eat while working, and keep hands out of your mouth while
working, and you should be fine. The biggest danger of lead is through
ingesting it.

--
-Kalera

---------

http://www.beadwife.com
auctions at http://www.snurl.com/1sfe
Old December 22nd 03, 06:44 PM
Dennis Brady

Yes, you're getting paranoid - any without need. I'd suggest it's
without cause, but your paranoia is probably being fueled by the
extensive propaganda being distributed by the many companies lobbying
to have lead banned so they can sell you their much more expensive
alternatives. To compound the confusion, these lobbyists have managed
to enlist (or somehow "convince" to support them) the EPA. A coupla
of years back the EPA was telling us handling lead could poison us by
being absorbed thru skin pores. This has been since debunked. Last
year they advised lead heated to 900 deg F could produce a lead vapour
that could be inhaled. The studies that reached that conclusion were
tested lead heated to 900 CELSIUS not fahrenheit. At that temperature
lead evaporates.

So far the only verifiable scientific evidence is that the only way to
get lead poisoning is by ingesting it. Don't eat it and you'll be
fine.
Old December 22nd 03, 09:58 PM
Kevin Archibald

Lead Poisoning is caused by INGESTION of Lead, or the breathing of
Lead fumes.

Ingestion is very possible by not washing your hands before you eat
something, but lead fumes is HIGHLY unlikely in this hobby/trade.
Lead boils at 3164.0 °F. (Your soldering iron won't put out that kind
of heat).

This same topic has been discussed in the Shooting community for
years. It all boils (no pun intended) to the above 2 methods of
getting the lead into your system.

_kevin archibald

Old December 23rd 03, 12:01 AM
Gimpy

"Dennis Brady" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I couldn't agree more!!! Ad to this the hype over disposing CRT's where
the EPA
claims (with no scientific basis) that the lead will "leech out of the
glass". But why is it
they "conveniently" overlook other types of glass that have higher
proportions of lead
(AKA "crystal") and that people are ENCOURAGED TO DRINK FROM???

Methinks the EPA is subject to effects of lead poisoning themselves (or
at least it
surely appears so)! Drinking too much Champagne from crystal (see - jamjars
ARE
better)? (sorry - another thread.)

Will

Old December 23rd 03, 01:00 AM
Mike Beede

In article , Dennis Brady wrote:

This has been since debunked. Last
year they advised lead heated to 900 deg F could produce a lead vapour
that could be inhaled. The studies that reached that conclusion were
tested lead heated to 900 CELSIUS not fahrenheit. At that temperature
lead evaporates.

According to my admittedly brief search, the boiling point of lead
is 1740 C. I guess that there's probably some slight loss of mass even
at room temperature, but is there anything significant at 900 C?

What are these things that "they" want to replace lead with? Are you
just talking about in the realm of stained glass, or do you mean in
general?

Just curious.

Mike Beede
Old December 23rd 03, 01:01 AM
Mike Beede

In article , Gimpy wrote:

But why is it
they "conveniently" overlook other types of glass that have higher
proportions of lead
(AKA "crystal") and that people are ENCOURAGED TO DRINK FROM???

Long-term storage especially of alcoholic beverages in lead crystal is
*not* encouraged. Too bad, because I used to have a couple
decanters that were really nice for congnac.

Mike Beede
Old December 23rd 03, 03:14 AM
Bent Pedals

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 06:25:23 GMT, "kasfam" wrote:

I have done some reading on lead solder and lead came. Some material is very
subtle, mentioning to clean the area well and wash your hands after use.
Other material I read puts fear into me, I am now leary of any small cut I
have. I have been doing soldering in my kitchen and they also mention not to
do this in any area where food it cooked.

What are the chances of lead poisining when this is just a hobby? And am I
starting to get a bit paranoid?

4 or 5 years ago I had a blood check done for lead, after
talking with the doctor. After 15 years of stained glass work the test
came back and showed I had *less* lead in my system than averages for
males my age . . .

I personally think it's a non issue if you use common sense
and wash after working with it.

Pure common sense preventative measures should be more than
adequate I would think . . . .

Old December 23rd 03, 04:02 PM
DDKites

So does everyone agree that kaleidoscopes would not be an issue or would you
use an alternative on the off chance that a child might put it in their
mouth. Even small sun catchers might end up in a kids mouth. Or am I being
paranoid now?

Old December 23rd 03, 04:37 PM
Moonraker

"DDKites" wrote in message
So does everyone agree that kaleidoscopes would not be an issue or would

you
use an alternative on the off chance that a child might put it in their
mouth. Even small sun catchers might end up in a kids mouth. Or am I being
paranoid now?

Yes.

You can make things fool proof. You can't make them damn-fool proof.

real lead flashing - for dolls houses stephen chester Doll Houses 5 November 9th 04 05:23 PM
Stretching lead Bart V Glass 7 December 17th 03 04:49 AM
solder not adhering to lead M. Paradis Glass 1 November 19th 03 10:54 PM
Moving shop to FL. Would like to clear out inventory of glass and lead... G^2 Glass 9 October 13th 03 01:31 AM
Use of Brass Coated Lead Came Gloria Glass 3 August 19th 03 05:26 AM