Ok crafty people - what would you do with this

Old February 9th 04, 09:04 PM
Caryn

I've always been fascinated by the Quakers

The energy in the room during silent worship is amazing. It's hard to explain
that it's something you can actually feel, but you can.

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old February 9th 04, 10:12 PM
Caryn

Okay, I never heard the term "Friends" to describe Quakers. I actually
haven't
the foggy about their religious order, either. Is it Christian?

Most are. The founders definately were.

However, there is a lot of leeway allowed, at least in my division of
Quakerism. There was a rift generations ago, and there are now three different
brands of Quaker.

My mom calls her self a Quaker Jew, and runs a newsletter for others who came
to Quakerism from a Jewish background.

My personal belief is that the Inner Light is God/Allah/Jesus/Yahweh, etc, and
it doesn't matter what name you prefer to call him, as long as you seek the
Inner Light, it's ok with Him/Her! :-)

Caryn (who hopes this makes sense and doesn't start a whole new arguement over
religion!)
Old February 10th 04, 01:18 AM
Momjws1

My personal belief is that the Inner Light is God/Allah/Jesus/Yahweh, etc,
and
it doesn't matter what name you prefer to call him, as long as you seek the
Inner Light, it's ok with Him/Her

Caryn, that's a beautiful description of what I believe.

Jane in WV
Old February 10th 04, 03:59 AM
Alison

Driving in Manhattan tonight, I saw a sign on a large church that was
closed for repairs "Services will be held on Sundays in Central
Synagogue till construction is complete." And the temple we go to has
some services in a church since its space is very limited. That's my
idea of everyone seeking for the inner light in whatever way they can.

Alison

How nice. If we'd all meditate, the world would be calmer. We'd have space in
our heads so we can fit in there. The mind, it's a huge place.

Old February 11th 04, 12:02 AM
Ellice

On 2/9/04 10:59 PM,"Alison" posted:

Driving in Manhattan tonight, I saw a sign on a large church that was
closed for repairs "Services will be held on Sundays in Central
Synagogue till construction is complete." And the temple we go to has
some services in a church since its space is very limited. That's my
idea of everyone seeking for the inner light in whatever way they can.

Wow - that's a reversal from the usual order of shared space. The synagogue
I used to go to has a large Catholic Church on the other side of the parking
lot. For years, high holiday services were held in the church - at least the
Erev Rosh Hashanah, and first day, same for Yom Kippur - Kol Nidre and then
morning service. Now for some unknown reason to me, that synagogue has
shifted to sharing with a different church. When I was growing up, my
family's synagogue had such a large sanctuary, and could expand into the
social hall, plus had a chapel (remote viewing) so we never had to use
another space. But, my friends all went to a synagogue that had gotten so
large in membership that they would rent out the movie theater (old style,
single, very large) for the holidays. It was a rotation - sometimes all the
kids went to the theater, sometimes it was just a lottery for families.

But, Allison, I like your thought.

ellice