Cape and hat for carolers

Old November 21st 05, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Cape and hat for carolers

I was asked to make a simple cap and hat for 3 carolers at my church. I was
thinking of using polar fleece for the cape. Cutting a semi circle kind of
and making a casing at the neck leaving about 4 inch for a ruffled collar.
Then for the hat I was going to use some old velvet I have with a stabilizer
and make a head band type ruffle to go across the top of their head and tie
under their chin. Does that sound like this will work. Or do any of you guys
have any suggestions?

She in PA

Old November 21st 05, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:12:54 -0500, "She in PA"
wrote:

I was asked to make a simple cap and hat for 3 carolers at my church. I was
thinking of using polar fleece for the cape. Cutting a semi circle kind of
and making a casing at the neck leaving about 4 inch for a ruffled collar.
Then for the hat I was going to use some old velvet I have with a stabilizer
and make a head band type ruffle to go across the top of their head and tie
under their chin. Does that sound like this will work. Or do any of you guys
have any suggestions?

She in PA

Sounds good to me.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old November 21st 05, 10:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

She:
You probably don't need to cut the cape as semi circle. You could
just cut WOF by the desired length + a more deluxe 6" or 8"
ruffle. Add the casing to WOF at the neck level, string ribbon
through and try it on for size, gathering as needed. When it
hangs nicely, tack the ribbon in a few places so it will stay
that way. As to the headband style hat, it will not keep the
head warm. Maybe you could make a Mob Cap type instead. HTH.

PAT in VA/USA

Old November 22nd 05, 05:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:58:04 -0500, "She in PA"
wrote:

I am planning on making a pattern out of freezer paper to see what they will
look like. I hope it goes easy and quick. Do you have any ideas?

She in PA

Draw your cape semicircle. Mid-way along the straight side you need a
cut out for the neck. You could use the back collar of a t-shirt or
other shirt to determine the curve for the neck by simply tracing
along the edge.

If you want to line the cape: Now add seam allowance all the way
around your drawing. Cut one lining and one outter layer, put right
sides together, sew almost all the way around (leave an area to turn
it inside out), turn it inside out and close the opening. For a
closure you can add seam binding or some trim along the edge of the
collar, leaving enough hanging free on each side of the collar to use
as a tie. You can also use loops of the same binding or trim on one
side of the collar and toggle buttons on the opposite side.

If you don't want to line the cape cut it out according to your
original drawing and add binding along all the edges except the
collar. Then add the binding to the collar area the same way as I
explained earlier.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at