Book review "Hobo Quilts"

Old April 22nd 10, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Default Book review "Hobo Quilts"

Sorry, but I can not recommend that you purchase "Hobo Quilts" unless
you are willing to calculate how to make the blocks yourself. Please
read on.

Hobo Quilts by Debra G. Henninger is the fourth in a series by Krause
Publications which combines historical writings with sampler quilt
block patterns. The first two books were by Rosemary Youngs and
contained quotes from dairies and letters written during the Civil
War. Each quote was accompanied by a quilt block. The blocks had
nothing to do with the quote but the combination was interesting. The
books sold very well both to those interested in Civil War history and
to quilters. The books had line drawings of the quilt blocks but no
instructions. Rosemary sold a companion CD which had to be used in
conjunction with Electric Quilt to produce templates or foundation
drawings.

The third book was "Farmer's Wife" by Laurie Aaron Hird. The written
text was exerts from letters written in the 1930's answering the
question, "Knowing your life as a farmer's wife would you recommend
that your daughter marry a farmer?" The text was very interesting if
you are at all connected to farming. The format of the book was the
same as the first two but a CD was included which printed templates
only. You could not change the size of the blocks or print foundation
drawings. Many of the CD's were damaged in shipment. Just this month a
companion CD has been released which runs in conjunction with Electric
Quilt. Now for an additional $20 you can print templates or foundation
drawings in any size.

Because I had enjoyed the first three books I eagerly bought "Hobo
Quilts" the day it arrived at the store. The blocks are not your
typical sampler quilt blocks. Each block graphically reproduces one of
the symbols in the secret language of riding the rails. This is the
way hobos communicated with anyone traveling behind them. The symbols
would tell them if they would receive food at a certain house, if this
was a good place to camp or if the local sheriff would run all hobos
out of town. The quotes are from actual hobos writing about their
experiences riding the rails prior to 1940. Many photos of the period
are also included creating a very interesting book. The blocks are
again given as line drawings but under each drawing is listed the size
pieces which are needed to make the block. If the block is to be
appliqued that is noted under the drawing and you are instructed to
trace the line drawing. I thought the addition of the piece sizes was
great until I started to make the blocks. The sizes on many of the
blocks are wrong. The pieces don't fit together or if they do the
block is not the correct size when you are finished. I have emailed
the publisher and will report back when I hear from them.

Until this pattern situation is solved I would not recommend that you
purchase "Hobo Quilts".

Susan Price
Old April 22nd 10, 03:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Thank you, Susan. The books sound both very interesting and annoying. So
glad you've warned us about the quilt block trauma. Polly

"Susan Laity Price" Sorry, but I can not recommend that you purchase

Old April 22nd 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

On Apr 21, 7:30*pm, Susan Laity Price
wrote:
[...]

I greatly appreciate your comments. Not that I'm going to launch into
another project like this now, but for future reference.
joan
Old April 22nd 10, 02:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ginny

Thank you for your review, Susan. I might add that the "mother" of
these books was "Dear Jane" by Brenda Papadakis, which has only line
drawings of each block - a CD was later added, allowing the quilter to
print templates, resize, etc. Rosemary was an early member of the
online DJ community.

Like you, I enjoy books like these which have a little bit of history
- letters, diaries - also authors like Barbara Brackman who do
extensive research into the Civil War era in the US and its connection
with quilting.

Unlike many new quilters who prefer a detailed pattern with cutting
directions, I don't mind working with a "life-size" line drawing. I
was annoyed that "The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt" did not even show
that. All the originally included CD did was print out templates, one
to a page (what a waste of paper!)

Another book I bought about the same time as FWSQ was "Sylvia's Bridal
Sampler" by Jennifer Chiaverini. This book doesn't have the historical
connection as the others, but has excellent directions for 140 six-
inch sampler blocks. There are rotary cutting directions, plus 40
pages of templates and paper-piecing foundations. You don't have to be
a follower of Jennifer's Elm Creek series of novels to appreciate this
book.

Ginny, enjoying my school vacation week - I will actually spend part
of Earth Day digging in the garden

Old April 22nd 10, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Susan, when Rosemary Youngs' first book (Civil War Diary) came out she
started a yahoo group for it. She paper pieced all the blocks, so it
was a straight out print a copy of the block to make it.
I started supplying rotary cutting instructions for the blocks. But
ran out of steam part way through. sigh
Many of those blocks had odd divisions that were very difficult to
make with rotary cutting. (they are 6" finished blocks, but many are
done on a 5x5 grid. So the "unit size" is 1 1/5 inch. not easy to
measure.)
I think I got Civil War Love Letters, but haven't even looked at it
much.

I like reading these types of books, but making the blocks may be more
than I want to do. G

In some cases I tend to redraft the blocks to fit better. G

Sounds like Hobo Quilts is the same way. A good read, but not a good
pattern book. G

Pati, in Phx