Pattern ?

Old September 13th 05, 03:46 PM
vangink

Default Pattern ?

I am currently in the process of adding original patterns of my own
creation to my jewlery crafting website...I am having some issues with
file size and was wondering if anyone would take a look at the site and
give me their opinion. One thing I am thinking of doing is going to an
outside photoblog site to host a larger pattern. For example, the
pattern I have up now is listed at

http://www.gardenandhearth.com/Jewel...e-Patterns.htm

and at the print me link of

http://www.gardenandhearth.com/Jewel...pelli-Pattern=
..htm

But i do not feel the print me link is even useable...I was considering
placing the link to this instead:

http://vangink.buzznet.com/user/?id=3D1662304

Any opinions?

Thanks

Christina VanGinkel

http://www.gardenandhearth.com/JewelryCrafting.htm
=20
http://www.gardenandhearth.com/BudgetGifts.htm

Old September 14th 05, 01:41 AM
C Ryman

Your Free-Patterns.htm page does not appear to have anything on it.

--=20
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old September 14th 05, 01:41 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:46:17 GMT, "vangink"
wrote:

I am currently in the process of adding original patterns of my own
creation to my jewlery crafting website...I am having some issues with
file size and was wondering if anyone would take a look at the site and
give me their opinion. One thing I am thinking of doing is going to an
outside photoblog site to host a larger pattern. For example, the
pattern I have up now is listed at

http://www.gardenandhearth.com/Jewel...e-Patterns.htm

and at the print me link of

http://www.gardenandhearth.com/Jewel...opelli-Patter=

n.htm

I think I'm the only beadweaver who regularly reads here. Most of
them are in rec.crafts.beads.

I think the pattern size is okay, I could make it from that, it's a
very simple pattern. The "print-me" link just gives a black & white
larger pattern and you can print from your browser.

--=20
Marilee J. Layman

Old September 14th 05, 01:41 AM
Harvey

Have a look at this link:

http://www.eclipsme.com/pattern.htm

I saved your color pattern as a gif with 16 colors, resulting is a file =
size=20
of around 10k.

The larger greyscale patterns was also saved as a gif with 4 colors, for =
a=20
file size of under 30k.

How you do this depends on your paint program. I use photoshop elements.=20
Others can probably provode a link to explain this, but go ahead and copy=
my=20
images, if it helps. I will keep them up for a bit.

Harve

Old September 14th 05, 01:41 AM
mbstevens

=

http://www.gardenandhearth.com/Jewel...pelli-Pattern=
..htm
=20
But i do not feel the print me link is even useable...I was considering
placing the link to this instead:
=20
http://vangink.buzznet.com/user/?id=3D1662304
=20
Any opinions?
=20
Thanks
=20
=20
Christina VanGinkel
=20
http://www.gardenandhearth.com/JewelryCrafting.htm
=20
http://www.gardenandhearth.com/BudgetGifts.htm

Your question is a little confusing, but I can tell you this:
Look at the image at
http://img3.buzznet.com/assets/users...y-msg-1126619=
008-2.jpg

It is a large .jpg image that really only needs two or three=20
colors. You could convert it to a two color .gif or .png image=20
that would be about an order of magnitude smaller in filesize,=20
and would load almost instantly. .Jpg images are fine for=20
photographic subjects, subjects with 3D shading, and such.=20
Images composed of flat areas of color should be done with .gif=20
or .png, using the least number of colors possible. I suggest=20
you cozy up to
the free Gimp software or the easier to use Irfanview so that=20
you can get the best download times from your images. Here's
a good article on .png:
http://www.hackles.org/etc/png.html

Also remember that .jpg images can be saved in different=20
qualities, and that such images with only a few colors can=20
usually be saved at a filesize that is only 1/3 to 1/2 the size
of a full quality image -- and the difference would be invisible
to a human viewer.
--=20
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com/

Old September 14th 05, 05:31 AM
A & L Lane

"vangink" wrote in message
[...]

I know very little about web design as I am strictly d-i-y and learn by =
my
many mistakes but I found the first page very slow to load (I am on 128k
speed so would be terrible at dialup speed) but the pattern page loaded
quickly and I dont see a problem there. However, getting your own domain=
is
very cheap and a cheap hosting plan does not cost much extra and this =
would
give you much more control over page size, ads, etc. A lot of people =
really
dont like pop-ups either. Seems to me that it is the Garden & Hearth
system that is slowing things down rather than what you are specifically
doing on your part. If you go your own way, you have much more control =
and
can promote your own brand much more effectively.
I have a blog as a supplementary news thing to my main site and I find it
quite good - havent tweaked the template yet to integrate more fully to =
my
main site (hope to get around that one day) but it seems to work ok - am
getting lots of cross visitation. I am using Blogger (because it is =
free)
but if you go to a more sophisticated blogging provider, then it would be
probably better for you. I dont do the Adsense ads there but you can if =
you
want to. Sorry not to be more help - liked your site and will read it =
more
thoroughly now.

Cheers from Andrew and Leah Lane
Aussie Sapphire - producer of quality blue Australian sapphires.
See our web site and blog for more information on our operation:

www.aussiesapphire.com.au
http://aussiesapphire.blogspot.com/
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Aussie-Sapphire

Old September 14th 05, 04:16 PM
m3rma1d

Marilee J. Layman

I think I'm the only beadweaver who regularly reads here. Most of them=

=20
are in rec.crafts.beads.

*COUGH*

"You are not a beautiful & unique snowflake.. You are the same decaying=20
organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost=20
pile. "--Tyler Durden, in Chuck Palahniuk's 'Fight Club'

:-)

I started out with beads/weaving beads as a child... I think it's how =
alotta=20
people come into the "beyond the craft shop" forms of jewelry making,=20
really.

I still do some weaving & lace/netting types of bead work... I travel a=20
whole lot, and it's one of the hobbies I can work on during a flight that=
=20
the TSA hasn't banned...

Keeeeeee-rist, I best not talk about it loudly... they may decide to =
snatch=20
my scary-rounded-tip-children's scissors & super-thin yet =
possibly-dangerous=20
needles next time I'm passing thru the checkpoint!

-- m3rma1d
--
www.creativespill.com
To reply in email, remove my panties.=20

Old September 15th 05, 02:24 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:16:43 GMT, "m3rma1d"
wrote:

Marilee J. Layman

I think I'm the only beadweaver who regularly reads here. Most of =

them=20
are in rec.crafts.beads.

*COUGH*

"You are not a beautiful & unique snowflake.. You are the same decaying=20
organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost=

=20
pile. "--Tyler Durden, in Chuck Palahniuk's 'Fight Club'

:-)

LOL I guess you don't post enough.

Child's hat pattern M. Burwell Yarn 6 July 1st 04 05:25 PM
Modifying a pattern Slinky Yarn 5 May 10th 04 11:58 PM
New FREE downloadable PMP 4 crossstitch pattern "Country Kitchen" available :O))) Misty Needlework 0 March 14th 04 12:54 PM
New FREE downloabable cross stitch pattern in PMP 4 zip file - art nouveau window to spring ! Misty Needlework 1 February 3rd 04 12:52 PM
New FREE downloabable cross stitch pattern in PMP 4 zip file - Sweet valentine :OD ! Misty Needlework 0 January 30th 04 08:36 PM