Lost replies...

Old October 5th 03, 10:42 PM
-SP-

Default Lost replies...

"Peter W. Rowe" wrote in message
On , in rec.crafts.jewelry "-SP-" wrote:

Peter, may I ask why some of the posts and replies don't show in

this
thread? Do you know what's causing this at all? I've never had

this in
any newsgroup I've visited before and it's only started to happen

in
this group. Do you know if it's happening to other people too? Or

is
it just me? Sorry for the off-topic post, but this has got me

puzzled.

Thanks for any insight into this.

-SP-

SP,

Big snip g

Hope this helps.

Peter, it did, and thank you very much for your very informative
reply. It is much appreciated.

My present position is that I'm still not seeing some posts. sigh,
the wheels of industry...

For instance, in the "It's a Michael!" thread, I don't see Barrys'
first post that Abrasha addresses, only Barrys' and
Abrashas' -replies- to eachother. But, I think you're right that it's
probably a relay going down and losing the post.

Thanks again, and apologies for my late reply.

-SP-

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry

Old October 5th 03, 10:56 PM
Peter W. Rowe

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 14:42:51 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "-SP-"
wrote:

My present position is that I'm still not seeing some posts. sigh,
the wheels of industry...

For instance, in the "It's a Michael!" thread, I don't see Barrys'
first post that Abrasha addresses, only Barrys' and
Abrashas' -replies- to eachother. But, I think you're right that it's
probably a relay going down and losing the post.

SP, in the case you mention, it cannot be a relay. The relays, and moderation
of the group in general, is only a factor in the original transmission of the
message from the original poster, via their news server and then the relays, to
me. Once I approve and repost it, it's handled by the news servers as a normal
posting, the same as any unmoderated group, because the servers see a valid
approval header in the post. What that means is that if some readers see a post
(as evidenced by Abrasha's reply to Barry's post), then it means Barry's post
went properly out on the news feeds, or Abrasha wouldn't have seen it. If you
didn't see it, then the possibilities a

1. It's on your end. Your software normally downloaded the message, but for
some reason, you didn't see it. That can happen if you've got filters set to
remove spam, or sort your incoming messages into certain folders, and the
filters don't work as you expected., or it can happen if you just overlook a
posting. It happens to all of us... Or perhaps the post is there on your ISP's
news server, but for some reason, your software incorrectly flags it, perhaps as
something it's already downloaded, so not to be shown you again. Again, this
can happen. One reason can be if the connection is poor, such as if your
connection is broken during a download. It can happen that your software thinks
it got the whole mesage, when it didn't, so then it doesn't try to download it
again when you reconnect, but you don't see it properly, because it's not
correctly in your own computer's database yet. The communications protocols are
supposed to prevent this from happening, but we all know nothings if fool proof
or 100 percent certain when it comes to software. Especially microsoft
software...

2. It's on your ISP's end. Your ISP didn't get the post, or didn't correctly
add it to it's database for the group. Sometimes a post will get blocked when
an ISP's connections to the net are poor, and some link along the way fails.
But this is rare, since almost all decent news servers are connected to the net
in more than one way. That's why they call it a net... Multiple lines and
possible ways to get from point A to point B. news messages end up going all
over the place, in multiple ways, to end up reaching all news servers. news
servers keep track of the message ID numbers, and drop a post once they're
seeing it for the second time, so you don't get too many duplicates running
around forever. But there are still multiple ways for a message to get to where
it's going, so most likely the problem is with your ISP's actual news server
accidentally dropping posts it should not drop.

One "fix" is for you to read the group on another news server, such as one of
the web based news servers, like Google. That bypasses both your own news
reader, since you're reading it on the web, and it bypasses problems your
specific ISP may be having.

Hope that helps.

Peter
Old October 6th 03, 04:34 AM
-SP-

"Peter W. Rowe" wrote in message

*"1. It's on your end. Your software normally downloaded the
message, but for some reason, you didn't see it. That can happen if you've got
filters set to remove spam..."*

Phew! Thanks for your swift reply Peter!

I think It's #1. I'm presently using MailWasher, and I think that's
the problem. I'll get rid of it now. (At the end of the day, it's not
doing anything different to what I normally used to do without it,
i.e.downloading NG posts/replies, and Email too, including spam, and
then deleting it (from my client), from the server... etc.)

So, thank you again. I've seen the *sparkly* light! g

-SP-

Old October 10th 03, 03:10 PM
Cris

HIYA!

Cool Topic Header..

I have raed your post and just wondering ehat is the mailwasher?

Can you provide some info on it please?
Old November 1st 03, 05:04 PM
-SP-

"Cris" wrote in message
HIYA!

Cool Topic Header..

I have raed your post and just wondering ehat is the mailwasher?

Can you provide some info on it please?

Hi, you can find the download page and all the info you need he

http://www.mailwasher.net/

-SP-

Have I lost it? starlia Beads 22 October 21st 04 10:30 AM
OT. Lost my birdie friend. Shirley Shone Beads 28 October 19th 04 08:25 AM
OT..She lost her battle with IBC. Ray DeVous Beads 20 June 4th 04 03:16 PM
Argh - lost a whole droolworthy list. Barbara Forbes-Lyons Beads 2 January 10th 04 04:55 PM
i've lost my puppy llaa1100 Beads 1 July 1st 03 03:26 AM