Diamond Pastes

Old December 3rd 06, 11:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
AndrewK

Default Diamond Pastes

Hi

I would like to know how to make abrasive diamond pastes.

These pastes are typically used for polishing metals and metallographic

samples and are generally supplied in syringes as pastes and solutions.

I know it's a long shot but somebody out there might have a recipe.

Any help would be much appreciated.

regards
Andrew

Old December 3rd 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

AndrewK wrote:
Hi

I would like to know how to make abrasive diamond pastes.

These pastes are typically used for polishing metals and metallographic

samples and are generally supplied in syringes as pastes and solutions.

I know it's a long shot but somebody out there might have a recipe.

Any help would be much appreciated.

regards
Andrew

I dunno how much he's willing to share, but Jon Rolfe would probably be
willing to at least explain how tricky it REALLY is.
http://www.gearloose.com/

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Old December 4th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jay Rittenour

Henry Hunt explains how to make diamond compound in his book American
Lapidary. ISBN 0-937764-08 the book is US $25.00

Old December 4th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Séimí mac Liam

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote in
:

AndrewK wrote:
Hi

I would like to know how to make abrasive diamond pastes.

These pastes are typically used for polishing metals and metallographic

samples and are generally supplied in syringes as pastes and solutions.

I know it's a long shot but somebody out there might have a recipe.

Any help would be much appreciated.

regards
Andrew

I dunno how much he's willing to share, but Jon Rolfe would probably be
willing to at least explain how tricky it REALLY is.
http://www.gearloose.com/

Carl

Diamonds are way overkill for polishing anything softer than steel. I've
tried polishing silver and gold with 50,000 mesh diamonds and a Sunshine
cloth does a better job. Corundom is fine for grinding and pre-polish.
Why diamonds?

--
Saint Séimí mac Liam
Carriagemaker to the court of Queen Maeve

Old January 17th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Gearloose

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 18:12:13 GMT, Carl 1 Lucky Texan
wrote:

I would like to know how to make abrasive diamond pastes.
=20

I dunno how much he's willing to share, but Jon Rolfe would probably be=20
willing to at least explain how tricky it REALLY is.
http://www.gearloose.com/

The vehicle should be a semi-solid at room temperature, so as to
prevent settling in storage. But it needs to be thin enough to flow
through a syringe, or to be easily spread into a thin film.
The easiest formulation is about 15% diamond powder into "Crisco".
This was given me when my industrial diamond supplier retired when I
asked him how he prepared his compounds.
Another custom base can be made by melting together paraffin wax and
olive oil. Add a capsule of "vitamin E", (alpha tocopherol) to each
batch to prevent rancidity in storage. It serves as an antioxidant.
You may substitute rapeseed/safflower oil. Start with about a third
paraffin by weight. You can adjust the stiffness or hardness of the
mix as needed by adding more oil or wax. Judge the
stiffness/flowability or shear when a spoonful is cooled to room
temperature.
The diamond powder MUST be well-dispersed into the melted base. An
ultrasonic disperser is best, but unlikely to be encountered, so a
"Lightning" mixer or even a frappemaker can be used. Continue the
agitation as the melted base cools off, and when it is NEARLY
solidifying, quickly transfer it into syringes.
It will harden in the syringes, but when the plunger is presed will
flow through the nozzle, if the viscosity and shear is right.

A water-soluble form of the base can be made with carbowax=99 3000, (a
polyethylene glycol), and propylene glycol.

Here is a blurb about diamond powder quality that some dealers of mine
encountered. http://www.battlap.com/diamond.html

Diamond care [email protected] Jewelry 0 February 10th 06 04:34 PM
Some help needed on cutting diamond by laser Nicky Jewelry 1 January 3rd 06 04:18 PM
Star quilt math (you may want to keep) Listpig Quilting 14 August 16th 05 02:44 AM
"created diamond" Lawrence Jewelry 3 September 19th 04 05:14 AM
My Antwerp diamond experience and advice on price please! simon3000 Jewelry 9 May 27th 04 04:56 AM