cementing PVC fabric

Old June 13th 04, 04:48 AM
ccc31807

Default cementing PVC fabric

What is the best product to use to join two pieces of PVC fabric?

This needs to be absolutely water tight, so I can't sew it. It also
needs to be able to take a fair amount of stress, so I can't just tape
it.

Thanks, CC.
Old June 13th 04, 07:52 AM
Kate Dicey

ccc31807 wrote:
What is the best product to use to join two pieces of PVC fabric?

This needs to be absolutely water tight, so I can't sew it. It also
needs to be able to take a fair amount of stress, so I can't just tape
it.

Thanks, CC.

Why not sew it and then tape the seams with seam sealing tape?

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old June 13th 04, 03:11 PM
pas

ccc31807 wrote:
What is the best product to use to join two pieces of PVC fabric?

This needs to be absolutely water tight, so I can't sew it. It also
needs to be able to take a fair amount of stress, so I can't just tape
it.

Thanks, CC.

contact cement? I'd calla sales rep of an industrial manufacturer and pick
their brains!!

penny

Old June 13th 04, 10:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

On 12 Jun 2004 20:48:43 -0700, ccc31807 wrote:
What is the best product to use to join two pieces of PVC fabric?

My guess is either solvent or heat welding, but I'd talk to the manufacturer.

Old June 14th 04, 01:46 PM
Riteous Right Reverend Mahmoud Bin Changstein

To do it right you need to use an ultrasonic welder

Old June 14th 04, 04:10 PM
ccc31807

Kate Dicey wrote in message ...

Why not sew it and then tape the seams with seam sealing tape?

Thanks. Three questions:

1. Can you suggest a brand?
2. Where can I get it? Craft store, fabric store, hardware store?
3. This is intended for an outdoor application. How durable is seam sealing tape?

Thanks again. CC.
Old June 14th 04, 04:34 PM
pas

ccc31807 wrote:
Kate Dicey wrote in message

Why not sew it and then tape the seams with seam sealing tape?

Thanks. Three questions:

1. Can you suggest a brand?
2. Where can I get it? Craft store, fabric store, hardware store?
3. This is intended for an outdoor application. How durable is seam
sealing tape?

Thanks again. CC.

you will have to get samples of all the different kinds to see what works
best. I know of at least five different types meant to bond with everything
from three layer goretex to polyurethane. If you use the right tape and the
right process, you should get a good bond. Personally I'd go with learning
what's involved with the welding and seeing if you can duplicate it at home.
Are you making Drybags?

Have you talked to Outdoors Wilderness Fabrics? They sell heat sealable
vinyls and can probably give you some pointers
www.owfinc.com

penny s

--
Specialty Outdoors
Modification & Repair of Outdoor Gear & Clothing

Old June 15th 04, 01:20 AM
ccc31807

Actually, I'm making a 3-5 gallon water carrier.

I go hiking several times a year, and buy water carriers at stores
like KMart and WalMart for about $10.00. The quality is not high, but
they have done their job and will last a season or two. The last one I
bought was a Coleman brand, and is so poorly designed that it did not
even hold water adequately, not to mention a stress leak within one
season.

I'm just tired of paying $10.00 for sub-standard merchandise that I
can make for myself for a couple of dollars worth of materials and an
hour or two, and I'm too cheap to pay $20-30 for one of the real good
kinds.

I'm just going to do a simple cylinder, seal it at the bottom with a
flat seam, put a zipper (or snaps or velcro) at the top, and use a
plastic cock that I've saved from a previous water carrier. The bag is
long gone, but the cock works perfectly.

Old June 15th 04, 01:28 AM
pas

ccc31807 wrote:
[...]

that being the deal, I'd sew it on an industrial machine, and then use
Aquaseal to seal the seams. It comes in a tube.

What does OWF say about welding/heat sealing, seeing as they sell the
fabric?

penny

Old June 15th 04, 07:46 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

Please, please, please check first to make sure that the PVC you are
intending to use is of food grade quality! Otherwise, you might be getting
a lot more in that drinking water than you bargained for! Not all plastics
are made alike or meant to last without breaking down. For example,
disposable water bottles (Dasani, Evian, etc.) are produced to be single use
containers. Studies have shown that re-using these containers without
washing them in very hot water and detergent leads to bacterial build up in
the drinking water. However, the same studies have also shown that when
washed adequately to destroy the bacterium, the plastic of these containers
starts to 'break down', releasing chemicals into the water! In the long
run, you might be better off to buy the more expensive containers or
continue with the cheaper ones.
Cynthia
om...

quilt shops in NY Terbear Quilting 8 April 6th 04 08:41 PM
Squishie Fabric Quality Mika Quilting 21 April 3rd 04 04:18 PM
Pirates o' the South Pacific Swap frood Quilting 27 January 25th 04 12:04 AM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
Super Fabric Bargains, July Pat in Virginia Quilting 8 August 27th 03 03:14 AM