Quilting Group dynamics

Old August 5th 03, 06:03 PM
frood

But, I don't want to be a non-profit org. I want a bunch of people getting
together for fun. :-)

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Kathy in CA" wrote in message
I think it's commendable that you want to start a quilting group As a
non-profit org though there should be dues, a constitution, officers.
Otherwise it's just a bunch of people getting together for fun. gently

snipped

Old August 5th 03, 06:22 PM
Donna in Idaho

There's no way I would organize as a non-profit, Wendy, if I were you. Like
I said in an earlier post, one of our local groups gets together every week.
No rules, no officers, no nothing but getting together to discuss quilting
(or anything else anyone can think of to talk about!), have a show and tell
& just generally have a good time.

--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!
.com...

Old August 5th 03, 06:49 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Really! All that other stuff sucks the fun right out of it!

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

.com...

Old August 5th 03, 07:59 PM
Jennifer Hepworth

You won't know until you try it! Have a one-on-one conversation with
the other members to ask what her expectations are and make a list -
look at the differences between their ideas and your own - then decide
what you can offer to please the majority. If someone expects to watch
while you make her a quilt - then there is something wrong somewhere.
Consider also hiring a babysitter to watch the young ones so that the
mothers won't be distracted during your times together.
You should probably also check your house insurance for accident
coverage of any youngsters while under your roof under these
circumstances.
Jennifer in Ottawa

---------
Group: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting Date: Mon, Aug 4, 2003, 11:58pm
(EDT+4) From: (frood)
OK, I asked this question at my Quilt University discussion forum (class
is on teaching quilting classes), but I didn't like the tone of the
Here's the thing. After my (highly successful) book club meeting,
several of the neighborhood women suggested a quilting group. Since some
of the women are complete beginners, they may need some help getting
started. I thought the group would be a good place for this to happen. I
am happy to help in any way I can, including teaching somebody how to
make a quilt. However, my QU class is all "don't be taken advantage of"
and "you'd better charge money for that" and that sort of thing.
I would like to start a quilting group around here. I'm interested in a
group that meets at least once a month, does show and tell, perhaps
offers opportunities for creating group or individual charity quilts,
and does like a secret santa kind of thing at Christmas. People could
bring something to work on, or not, as they wish. I want a casual group,
where kids can tag along if childcare is unavailable for members.
Thoughts? Advise?
--
Wendy
http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm de-fang email address to

Old August 5th 03, 08:39 PM
Don/Gen

I'd love to find a group like you're proposing. I say go with your original
thoughts and plans. It sounds as if you have a lovely neighborhood.
Gen

"frood" wrote in message
.com...
I am comfy with helping out my neighbors, just as they help me out. I have
been the happy recipient of many baby-sitting hours, use of dryers and
washers when mine were fritzed, rides back and forth, groceries fetched,

and
I have provided similar favors.

I think if we start a quilting group, I'm hoping every person will offer
advice and support in whatever way they can. Some will know more about
quilting, others will have awesome cheese and sausage grits recipes!

I would like to do meetings in each other's houses, like the book club

does.
But if somebody can't host, somebody else could step in.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
"Butterfly" wrote in message
What are "YOU" comfy with?
Are you in it for the fun/friendship/sharing quilty things or are you in
it for '$ gain'
What do "YOU" have time for Can you also allow the 'extra time' that the
absolute beginners need Can you 'trade' 'newbie' teaching time for maybe
baby-sitting time--or they bring 'dinner' for all of you instead of $
Will it be only at "your place" or can you take turns meeting in
different homes??????????
Butterfly (can "YOU/your family" live with your decision)

Old August 5th 03, 10:15 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
This is like some of the "bees" that branch out from our
larger quilt guild, more relaxed, more fun, more personal,
and FEWer rules.
How many times has the fun been organized right out of something
by all the rules and regs? Too many!
Simplify, Simplify, Simplify!
So, Wendy, if you're organizing it (however loosely), and it's going
to be at your house, you make the rules, right?
Have fun! Enjoy! And Keep It Simple, Sweetie!

Ragmop/Sandy---all in favor of "just a bunch of people getting together
to have fun" ;-D
"Donna in Idaho" wrote in message
There's no way I would organize as a non-profit, Wendy, if I were you.

Like
I said in an earlier post, one of our local groups gets together every

week.
No rules, no officers, no nothing but getting together to discuss quilting
(or anything else anyone can think of to talk about!), have a show and

tell
& just generally have a good time.

--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator
Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!
.com...

Old August 6th 03, 10:50 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Would you consider moving somewhere along the Calif./Oregon line?
--
Ruth in Happy Camp
"frood" wrote in message
.com...
Nah, I've got one of those now, plus RCTQ. I don't want rules and regs and
points of order. I want some friends to play with. :-)

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Debbi" wrote in message
Wendy,

Sounds like you want to start a guild. When my guild started 10 years

ago,
group of ladies (about 10) planned out a meeting, then put an ad in the
local paper. They expected 20 people max to come. They had 150 at that

first
meeting. We now have over 525 members. Great way for newbies to enjoy
learning about quilting while the oldies get to share and also learn new
ideas and techniques.

Debbi in SO CA

"frood" wrote in message
.com...
OK, I asked this question at my Quilt University discussion forum

(class
is
on teaching quilting classes), but I didn't like the tone of the

I know this group much better, so I know how to judge your responses

better.

Old August 6th 03, 10:53 PM
taria

If I remember right there are some really neat old houses in
Yreka
Taria

"Debbi" wrote in message
Wendy,

Sounds like you want to start a guild. When my guild started 10 years

ago,
group of ladies (about 10) planned out a meeting, then put an ad in the
local paper. They expected 20 people max to come. They had 150 at that

first
meeting. We now have over 525 members. Great way for newbies to enjoy
learning about quilting while the oldies get to share and also learn new
ideas and techniques.

Debbi in SO CA

"frood" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm
Old August 6th 03, 11:31 PM
frood

I'm thinking of serving bourbon, since it will all be Southern ladies. That
ought to keep things fun!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Ruth in Happy Camp" wrote in message
Maybe: Start with a small group. Start by letting them know you are new

this, that you don't know how it will turn out, that you reserve the right
to throw up your hands in despair if it turns out to be more than you
bargained for.
I'll bet you'll all have a lot of fun.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old August 6th 03, 11:32 PM
frood

Nope. Never moving again. However, there is a house for sale down the
street, if you wanted to move here! :-)

--

"Debbi" wrote in message
Wendy,

Sounds like you want to start a guild. When my guild started 10 years

ago,
group of ladies (about 10) planned out a meeting, then put an ad in

the
local paper. They expected 20 people max to come. They had 150 at that

first
meeting. We now have over 525 members. Great way for newbies to enjoy
learning about quilting while the oldies get to share and also learn

new
ideas and techniques.

Debbi in SO CA

.com...