July FO report

Old July 30th 03, 04:21 AM
Karen

Right . . . here's a link to an article about it.

http://www.nzpossumproducts.co.nz/in...ybuypossum.htm

"SlinkyToy" wrote in message
My understanding is that the fur is harvested post-mortem. Introduced
possums are a pest in .au and routinely trapped and killed. Now they're
paying their way, so to speak.

"Sew-Sew Lady" wrote in message
y.com...
Okay, I have to ask...who shears the possums?

"Karen" wrote in message
.. .

"Marie C" wrote in message
om...
"Karen" wrote in message
Mine is short, too busy job-searching, but for July so far:

Two pairs of possum-fur socks
A rectangular wrap
A triangular shawl
A two pound bag of tootsie rolls
Two liters of Mountain Dew

"NoraBalcer" wrote in message
Mine list is quite as long as SlinkyToys, but here it is.

One baby blanket sent to England.
Five crochet squares to Coggie.
Two painted sun catchers.
One knit elbow protector.
One Christmas continuous granny square afghan.
One 18 month old sweater.

WIP - three afghans.

Hugs,

Nora

Karen: Could you please tell me about the possum fur socks,

what
pattern is it and what kind of yarn are you using? They sound cute.
Marie C.

They're not real fancy, just sort of standard socks, ribbed down to

the
ankle, and they're made from a yarn that is 70% Merino 30% Possum Fur.

They
make wonderful cold weather socks, as they are very soft to wear, and

kind
of fuzzy, and extremely warm, but lightweight and not bulky. I've

made
few pairs now for people, and the people I've given them to have been

really
happy with them (which is a big reason why making them is so fun).

The
yarn
is worsted weight, and called Naturally Merino & Fur, and it's carried

by
www.yarnforward.com and also www.handknitting.com . The pattern is

one
that came from Naturally as well; in fact you can order a kit that

includes
the yarn and the pattern. It has become my favorite sock yarn to work

with.

Old July 30th 03, 01:59 PM
G.Kelly

Slinky Toy you mention possums are a pest in au - do you mean Australia? (
au being our "code" at the end of some e mail addresses) I had not heard
of them being a pest here yet - they are such pretty little things .

Karen thank you for the link to the NZ article about their plague
proportions of possums (for which I am led to believe we Australians are to
blame for their introduction to NZ)

God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"SlinkyToy" wrote in message
My understanding is that the fur is harvested post-mortem. Introduced
possums are a pest in .au and routinely trapped and killed. Now they're
paying their way, so to speak.

"Sew-Sew Lady" wrote in message
y.com...
Okay, I have to ask...who shears the possums?

"Karen" wrote in message
.. .

"Marie C" wrote in message
om...

Old July 30th 03, 02:19 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:50:47 GMT, "SlinkyToy" wrote:

Ooooer, that sounds fab. And I bet you don't have to use old jumpers - odd
ends of yarn would work just as well, no?

Yeppers, it sure will. It's a great use for weaving thrums, too. I've also
used the pills from combing waste, dyed lots of yummy colors, then carded
with black wool. Garnet is my birthstone, so of course I had to learn this
spinning trick!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old July 30th 03, 02:32 PM
SlinkyToy

Ah, another goat? That explains why we're on the same page WRT so many
issues

Michelle
Who really prefers emeralds but doesn't sneeze when her DH gives her
high-grade garnets for her birthday

Old July 30th 03, 03:28 PM
Norma

Fo's - let's see..
sewing - 2 skirts
2 tops
Hardanger - table runner
2 bookmarks
Yarn - 5-6 squares for whoever

--
Star love,
Norma ;-)

Old July 30th 03, 03:33 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:32:33 GMT, "SlinkyToy" wrote:

Ah, another goat? That explains why we're on the same page WRT so many
issues

Grin.

Michelle
Who really prefers emeralds but doesn't sneeze when her DH gives her
high-grade garnets for her birthday

There are such things as green garnets, you know. A bit more rare, but very
beautiful. I have one sample of tiny green grossular garnets in their
matrix, and one opaque yellow one about the size of a chick pea, but none
of the gem quality demantoid or Tsavorite green garnets. I've sort of
started a collection of garnet crystals as raw mineral samples.

Though I do have quite a few bits of garnet jewelry, it's all red. Just
did a search on "green garnet" and came up with a lot of hits, even as
beads, so I may yet get some!

Old July 30th 03, 04:53 PM
Cher

Hi, yes I guess they would, you are just aiming at putting in coloured
noils aren't you really....cheers.....Cher

"SlinkyToy" wrote in message
Ooooer, that sounds fab. And I bet you don't have to use old jumpers -

odd
ends of yarn would work just as well, no?

"Cher" wrote in message
Oh sorry it is a US term I believe, so thought you were up with it...yep
novelty yarn. Chop up old woolies into teeny bits and blend the colours
with your combed or carded fleece. I've been having a turn out, so all

the
sweaters I no longer want I've taken the sleeves off of them, and sat

with
sissors chopping away, til I have a bag of teeny weeny bits well

actually
I've got tubs now of different colours so that I can mix what colours I
chose or just use one.

Cheers...Cher
"SlinkyToy" wrote in message
I've never heard of this garnetting - what is it? Method of producing

novelty yarn of some sort?

"Cher" wrote in message
Hey slinky, you are forever busy, sounds great too
I've just learnt about Garnetting have you done this is your

spinning
yet?
Cheers.....Cher

"SlinkyToy" wrote in message
Per my knitting notebooks I've finished

3 pair of socks
One baby sweater
One baby cap

I've also spun about 8# of fiber and scoured three fleeces

WIPs
Socks from Hell (two-color things with weird heel construction)
Mittens from Hell (two-color, only called this because I have to

tink
about
10 rounds of the 2nd mitten)
CherryTreeHill socks, which are finished but I need to snip them

for
the
afterthought heels and the thought terrifies me
Gray corrie/mohair handspun sox, halfway down the foot of the

second,
got
enough more yarn spun to finish the toes
Aran sweater, 5" or so remaining on the body before I start the

sleeves;
ribbing last!

---

---

---

Old July 30th 03, 04:55 PM
Cher

Thanks Helen, surprising what we do to keep our minds active isn't it.?
Say yes, as my DH thinks that as I'm cutting up sweaters into small bits to
re-spin them I've now completely flipped. He won't think that when he see's
the yarn produced from it.

Cheers.....Cher

Old July 30th 03, 08:01 PM
CMM PDX2

Helen wrote:

Though I do have quite a few bits of garnet jewelry, it's all red.
Just did a search on "green garnet" and came up with a lot of
hits, even as beads, so I may yet get some!

Heeheehee...if you want to see some great Tsavorite garnets for making your own
jewelry, go to:

www.firemountaingems.com

and do a search there. Yum!

NAYY, but I *do* buy beads from them to make jewelry, and just love them. Plus,
they're an Oregon company, so, y'know, gotta support the locals. Oh, and NO
SALES TAX! veg Plus they sell for wholesale prices to anyone, not just those
with a reseller's number.

Back to yarn - garnetting's an interesting technique, just one I haven't had
the time to try yet. But I got a lot of good ideas from you Helen - hadn't
thought about using waste from carding, and I keep forgetting to use my thrums,
too! ::shaking head at own obtuseness:: I mean, really; people keep worrying
about using up teeny little odd balls of yarn, and as a spinner, I'd
*forgotten* that option? Yeesh. LOL - now I'm even remembering drooling over
the idea of feather yarn, and how I've always wanted to buy peacock or ostrich
feathers to cut into little bits and card into some fiber like silk. So many
ideas, so little time. Thanks for bringing this up, Cher! I'll have to look at
some of my older sweaters not good enough for a thrift shop with a different
eye.

Monica

---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
ShipSupport Mailing List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShipSupport/