Bead naivete

Old May 13th 04, 04:22 AM
KDK

So- this implies that there are other manufacturers of Austrian crystals.

Kathy K
"JL Paules" wrote in message
Generally you are correct but I've managed to get several of the ladies at
our local Ben Franklin Crafts hooked on beading - and especially crystals.
They have been ordering Swarovskis. They did place an order with one

company
for Austrian crystals but since the cost was so similar, they've gone back
to the real thing.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Tue, 11 May 2004 19:10:13 -0400, KDK wrote
(in message ):

I've been seeing packs of "Austrian Crystals" in the craft stores

lately -
and it's making me wonder if they are Swarovskis or not. The craft

stores
are carrying branded Swarovski's as well. Since these are in little

sealed
packages I can't feel/hold them. Makes me wonder though.

Probably not. Since I see stuff that is obviously plastic passed off as
Turquoise, and Hematine is called a "rare gemstone," I'd think that

anything
I couldn't obviously identify as suspect.

There are vendors I trust - a big craft chain isn't one of them. I'm

sure
they have lawyers that are able to get "crystals that rode in a truck

through
Austria on the way to the airport" defined as Austrian Crystals. Kinda

like
"Italian Ice" or "Bavarian Creme."

Kathy N-V

Old May 13th 04, 05:07 AM
KDK

I've noticed that Michael's, JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby are all carrying them
now.

Kathy K
"Carla" wrote in message
link.net...
I picked up a bracelet kit and a pack of crystals at the local
Michael's. They both had Swarovski on the labels. I admit I was
surprised to find them there.

Cheers,
Carla

KDK wrote:
I've been seeing packs of "Austrian Crystals" in the craft stores

lately -
and it's making me wonder if they are Swarovskis or not. The craft

stores
are carrying branded Swarovski's as well. Since these are in little

sealed
packages I can't feel/hold them. Makes me wonder though.

Kathy K
"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...

On Mon, 3 May 2004 14:19:07 -0400, Christina Peterson wrote
(in message 1083608339.926227@prawn):

We've gone round and around here about what Swarovski wants.

Apparently
they also insist that any components purchased as Swarovski not be

listed in

the list of components as Swarovski. Though I think Kathy was simply

making

a joke.

Yep. It was a joke. After all the go rounds we've had about using the

name,

I decided to almost but not quite use the preferred term of "Austrian

Faceted

Crystals."

Having been in Austria, and having some Austrian relatives, the whole

issue

makes me laugh. If I had to generalize, I'd say that whole country is

full

of people who need a good laugh, and have trouble walking with that pole

up

their butts. Some Austrians make the most snooty German look like a

long
haired, pot smoking, hippy tree hugger who lives in an old bus and

believes

in "free love."

These are people that have laws about walking the "wrong way" down a
sidewalk, and actually enforce them. There are also laws determining

when
you can mow your lawn, against resting your feet on a seating surface,

with

or without shoes, and chastize you for hanging out your laundry "the

wrong
way." If you've seen the "Sound of Music," and have been to Austria,

you'll

quickly realize that Captain Von Trapp wasn't a charicature.

I love the crystals, am not wild about the country, and will respect the
Swarovski family's insistence on calling their beads by whatever name

they
wish. (BTW, I've seen some Czech leaded crystal that makes Austrian

crystal

look dingy. Heaven help the S. company when the Czechs finally get

their

act

together and start to export it)

Kathy N-V

Old May 13th 04, 09:01 AM
Ray DeVous

You are right. The "National Geographic Photo Look" is not my desire.

Ray

Kathy N-V wrote:

On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:06:35 -0400, Ray DeVous wrote
(in message ):

I've got 40 strands of hematite in various shapes and sizes.
Interesting color and shading. Planning to use them in necklaces,
bracelets and earrings. Anyone had any problems with hematite?

None, but be careful about using Hematite in earrings. It's a dense
material, heavy for its size, and could elongate or tear earlobes. I'd only
use very small pieces of Hematite in an earring.

Kathy N-V

Old May 13th 04, 07:26 PM
Christina Peterson

This is what I know about it, too. So it would have to be tested for
molecular alignment or something I guess. Perhaps to some degree it would
be analogous to determining if silver is cast (unaligned) or worked from
soft annealed silver.

Tina

"Kathy N-V" wrote ...
I'd love to know, because Hematine (synthetic Hematite) is chemically
identical to natural Hematite. I suspect that the synthetic form is

easily
moldable, and that natural material needs to be carved, which is far more
expensive.

Kathy N-V