Number of Strands

Old June 15th 04, 12:11 AM
anne

Default Number of Strands

I couldn't resist buying Jannlynn (sp??) Alma Lynn's Summer Angel at Michael's
for a mere $4.00 US. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the floss had been
separated on cards as well as the colors seem to correspond to DMC ones -- iow,
I don't have a clue if they've used DMC thread just that the number
designations correspond to DMC colors.

I may scrap my usual tedious translation to free style embroidery and do it as
a cross stitch project just for the heck of it despite never ever having done
counted cross stitch before.

I've read the instructions until my eyes crossed (is there a pun in there
somewhere?). They tell how many strands to use for backstitching and french
knots (one) but I didn't see anything about how many to use for everything
else. How many strands are typically used for good coverage on 14 count aida?

They said to find the center of the cloth but didn't say why. Would it break
any rules to start in the upper left corner?

About the french knots ... I'm having a hard time visualizing the beginning
needle placement in square ... do I ignore the square entirely and go through
the center of the 'box'?

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old June 15th 04, 12:38 AM
Diane Hare

anne wrote:
How many strands are typically used for good coverage on 14 count aida?

two

Diane Hare

Old June 15th 04, 01:36 AM
emerald

"anne" wrote in message
ews.com...
[...]

If you look at the legend on the chart it may have differing symbols for the
same colour depending on whether one is using one or two strands for the
cross stitches. Otherwise two or three strands are used, depending on your
preference.

They said to find the center of the cloth but didn't say why. Would it

break
any rules to start in the upper left corner?

No it wouldn't. The reason people find the centre of the cloth is so that
they can centre the design, either by starting their stitching in the centre
and working out, or by counting out to the preferred starting point. That
way there's no danger of running out of fabric.

hth,
emerald

Old June 15th 04, 02:15 AM
Rhiannon

JanLynn kits are much more user friendly than some other brands. I
believe they do use DMC thread but I could be wrong. If you are using
one strand for backstitch, you will probably want to use two for
cross-stitch. I've found this instruction often gets hidden in the long
how-to text which I rarely read.

I prefer to start in the upper left corner also. I've tried starting in
the center and it is very obvious that I use a different technique
(haven't pinpointed what though) on the top half than on the bottom
half. Before starting, measure the fabric and make sure it really is
the correct size. I've never had a problem with JanLynn but doesn't
hurt to be cautious. I usually do find the center and then count up and
over from there to start but you could just calculate how many inches
down and in from the fabric corner to start.

For the French Knots, come up in the hole, twist the knot, and put the
needle down one fabric *thread* (not a whole fabric square) away to
finish. If you do put the needle down an entire fabric square away,
your knot will be floppy and have visible "legs" showing. If the knots
are part of something geometric (such as a border), make certain you
consistently put the needle down one thread in the same direction. If
the knots represent something more random (such as flowers from a
distance), go wild and do whatever gives you the coverage you desire.
In some cases, it might look better to start the knot in the center of
an Aida square which involves splitting the ground threads when bringing
the needle up from the back, forming the knot, and putting the needle
back down in one of the Aida holes. Purely a matter of what looks best
to you.

anne wrote:
[...]

Brenda
"Nothing...I got nothing for sale."

Old June 15th 04, 02:22 AM
Seanette Blaylock

anne had some very interesting things to say
about Number of Strands:

I've read the instructions until my eyes crossed (is there a pun in there
somewhere?). They tell how many strands to use for backstitching and french
knots (one) but I didn't see anything about how many to use for everything
else. How many strands are typically used for good coverage on 14 count aida?

I use 2, but that's because I have a very strong preference for loop
starts.

They said to find the center of the cloth but didn't say why. Would it break
any rules to start in the upper left corner?

A lot of people do, but you'll want to find the center, then count
up/over to upper left to make sure the design is centered on the
fabric [I'd really hate getting to the right or bottom edge and
finding out that, for example, I had five more rows of design and only
three more rows of fabric. In less drastic situations, skimpy margins
can make framing more difficult].

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL
Old June 15th 04, 03:30 AM
Texasxsgal1

On 14 count, or 28 over 2, I usually use 3 strands, but you would have to be
sure you had enough thread
Usually I will start in the lower right corner. If it is a poem or a verse,
then I will usuall do that as it is read, from upper left to lower right.
kathy
san antonio
Old June 15th 04, 11:51 AM
F.James Cripwell

Seanette Blaylock ) writes:
(snip)
A lot of people do, but you'll want to find the center, then count
up/over to upper left to make sure the design is centered on the
fabric [I'd really hate getting to the right or bottom edge and
finding out that, for example, I had five more rows of design and only
three more rows of fabric. In less drastic situations, skimpy margins
can make framing more difficult].

Let me add another wrinkle to this idea of finding the center, and
then counting to where you want to begin; at one of the corners. If you
do this you will automatically check that the canvas count is what it is
supposed to be. We have heard stories on rctn of people not having enough
margin, because the canvas was not the count it was supposed to be. In
terms of the length of time it takes to do the stitching, taking time to
count to one of the corners is not very long. HTH.
--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old June 15th 04, 03:03 PM
anne

Thanks for all the advice.

imnsho (in my not so humble opinion) the bottom border is 'ugly-ish' -- it has
the word 'summer' on yellow background so it would be no great loss if I
miscalculated the height and didn't have enough space to include it.
Old June 15th 04, 06:58 PM
Darla

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:11:49 -0400, anne wrote:

How many strands are typically used for good coverage on 14 count aida?

It's a matter of preference. When I started XSing back in the late
'70s/early '80s, the instructions said to use 2 strands on 14 count,
so that's what I use. When I started stitching on evenweaves in the
mid-'80s, the instructions for "Amid Amish Life" as it was published
in CS&CC said to use 2 strands on the 25-count Lugana. That's what I
use now. I also usually use 2 strands on 28 over 2 (same as 14
count), but like the looks of 1 over 2 on 32 count.

They said to find the center of the cloth but didn't say why. Would it break
any rules to start in the upper left corner?

Rule #1. The floss goes through the eye of the needle.
Rule #2. The needle is moved by the stitcher from the back of the
fabric to the front of the fabric and back again.
Rule #3. There are eight different ways to combine / and \ to make X.
How you make yours is right. For you.
Rule #4. All the rest is commentary. Including how to stitch with
variegated threads and where to start.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old June 16th 04, 04:56 PM

anne wrote:
Thanks for all the advice.

imnsho (in my not so humble opinion) the bottom border is 'ugly-ish' --
it has the word 'summer' on yellow background so it would be no great
loss if I miscalculated the height and didn't have enough space to
include it.

I normally stitch with two strands on everything and one strand for
backstitch. If the bottom border is "ugly-ish" then change it to something
else. Just because it is on the design doesn't mean you have to do it the
way the designer did. Be creative.

George

--
There is no such thing as being beneath one's dignity to put in an honests
day's work. Work *is* what gives us our dignity, as well as our sense of

Number Of Strands enjay Needlework 48 February 27th 04 11:56 AM
New Ebay Listing Item number: 2377111508 D Marketplace 0 February 1st 04 09:15 PM
ISO a stock number PENDANT23 Rubberstamps 0 January 30th 04 09:15 PM
Trek Dallas Dahms Marketplace 0 November 18th 03 11:06 PM
AD: Bead Strands on E Bay Juanita Floyd Beads 0 July 5th 03 06:14 PM