V & A Museum Surface Embroidery kit DMC

Old June 1st 04, 01:44 PM
sewingsusan

Default V & A Museum Surface Embroidery kit DMC

Hi! I purchased the kit in this link to ebay awhile back (the link
may not work for much longer)from a woman in England.

It is a small set of two floral surface embroidery pictures from the
V&A Museum (inspired by their collection?) - it was manufactured by
DMC and has the design silk screened onto black cotton fabric, and
includes DMC floss and seed bead accents. I just completed this
project this past weekend.

In doing so I wondered why I had not thought of it sooner in the
discussion we were having about surface embroidery kits. If a source
could be found for more kits like this one from DMC we could probably
find some additonal options for surface embroidery kits.
Unfortuantely, the V&A museum doesn't have any kits in it's online
shop, and my searching for others like this on the web turned up
empty. I emailed the seller, maybe she will be able to tell me where
she bought it. She said in her listing of this item that she had
bought it and then decided she prefers XS over surface embroidery.

I'll post if I hear back from my seller in England.
Old June 1st 04, 02:15 PM
Cheryl Isaak

I really like those! Is there a designer name listed someplace?
Cheryl
On 6/1/04 8:44 AM, in article
, "sewingsusan"

Old June 1st 04, 02:32 PM
Jacqueline

I missed the previous discussion on surface embroidery, so this has probably
already been mentioned. For those who don't know, DMC has recently released
an entire line of surface embroidery projects - some kits, some stencils for
embellishing an object fo your choice. Go to dmc-usa.com, and click on
Linea.

Also, the Mary Jane Collection includes several crewel kits that may
interest you. I think they're British kits, but they're carried in the US.
Do a search for "Mary Jane crewel" and you'll come up with some suppliers.
--
Jacqueline
Carmichaels PA

om...

Old June 1st 04, 03:31 PM
Shirley Shone

You may like to try the following websites.

http://www.cotswoldneedlecraftshop.co.uk

http://www.berlinembroidery.com/need...tingflower.htm

http://www.astitchonline.com/acatalo...ia_Albert.html

Just surfing on a wet afternoon
Shirley

In message ,
sewingsusan writes

Old June 1st 04, 03:40 PM
Jan Lennie

this link works http://www.astitchonline.com/acatalo...___Albert.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...em=2391352 47

7

Old June 1st 04, 04:12 PM
Diane Hare

sewingsusan wrote:
[clipped]
Unfortuantely, the V&A museum doesn't have any kits in it's online
shop, and my searching for others like this on the web turned up
empty.

IIRC the Boston Museum of Fine Arts has had kits for non-counted surface
embroidery based on items in their collections. The shop is not
currently available for on-line browsing/ordering. I did note that
there is also a discount outlet in Sagamore, which is useless for me,
but may be of interest to those in Massachusetts:
http://www.mfa.org/shop/retailshops.html#

The Art Gallery of Nova Scotia licenses kits of Maud Lewis' designs:
http://tidespoint.ca/crafts/fairwind.shtml

I also saw a reference to "micro-marketing" citing designing &
assembling such kits as a marketing opportunity. IIRC Gloria & Pat got
started in commercial designing by doing regional stuff for a single
gift shop.

Diane Hare

Old June 1st 04, 04:57 PM
Meredith

The important question then becomes, which side of the bridge is it on?
(For those of you not from Mass., the Sagamore bridge is one of two
that separates the main part of the state from Cape Cod and frequently
gets backed up for 5 or 6 miles on weekends.)

Meredith

Diane Hare wrote:
[clipped]

Old June 1st 04, 08:28 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On the Cape side - you need to take the exit just after the bridge and curl
back around to the shops!
I may need to check the shop next trip to the Cape to see the 'rents and DS
and DBIL.

Cheryl
On 6/1/04 11:57 AM, in article , "Meredith"
wrote:

The important question then becomes, which side of the bridge is it on?
(For those of you not from Mass., the Sagamore bridge is one of two
that separates the main part of the state from Cape Cod and frequently
gets backed up for 5 or 6 miles on weekends.)

Meredith

Diane Hare wrote:
[clipped]

Old June 1st 04, 09:19 PM
Diane Hare

So, I trust those who are interested will click the "click for map"
button. There was one there somewhere.

Anyone know if BAFA *still* has crewel kits? Back in the 1970's they
were designed by an E.G.A. member who wintered in Columbia, Missouri,
that's where & when I learned of 'em.

Diane Hare