Reading with Thunderbird

Old January 9th 08, 10:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Default Reading with Thunderbird

I use Thunderbird quite happily, using the N key to go from post to post
and the T key to skip a thread.

However, occasionally these don't work and I need to go 'by mouse' from
post to post - much more fiddley, especially with 100+ posts.

Does anyone know why - am I doing something I havcen't realised I've
done. Sometimes broadband drops out and I have to reconnect (seems to be
at peak times so possible overload on their part) but the key functions
shouldn't be affected, should they?

There doesn't seem to be any consistancy.

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
Old January 9th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Sally Swindells wrote:
I use Thunderbird quite happily, using the N key to go from post to post
and the T key to skip a thread.

However, occasionally these don't work and I need to go 'by mouse' from
post to post - much more fiddley, especially with 100+ posts.

Does anyone know why - am I doing something I havcen't realised I've
done. Sometimes broadband drops out and I have to reconnect (seems to be
at peak times so possible overload on their part) but the key functions
shouldn't be affected, should they?

There doesn't seem to be any consistancy.

Have you accidentally got caps lock in the wrong mode? That does it for
me.

Lizzy
Old January 9th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
allisonh

Sally Swindells wrote:
I use Thunderbird quite happily, using the N key to go from post to post
and the T key to skip a thread.

However, occasionally these don't work and I need to go 'by mouse' from
post to post - much more fiddley, especially with 100+ posts.

Does anyone know why - am I doing something I havcen't realised I've
done. Sometimes broadband drops out and I have to reconnect (seems to be
at peak times so possible overload on their part) but the key functions
shouldn't be affected, should they?

There doesn't seem to be any consistancy.

I use Thunderbird too and never know about the N and T functions. Always
something new to learn, eh what!

Anyway..... instead of N and T, I use the down arrow key. You can go
one post at a time or if you hold the key down you can skip over a bunch
without opening them.
HTH
Allison in Montreal
Old January 9th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

allisonh wrote:
Sally Swindells wrote:
I use Thunderbird quite happily, using the N key to go from post to
post and the T key to skip a thread.

However, occasionally these don't work and I need to go 'by mouse'
from post to post - much more fiddley, especially with 100+ posts.

Does anyone know why - am I doing something I havcen't realised I've
done. Sometimes broadband drops out and I have to reconnect (seems to
be at peak times so possible overload on their part) but the key
functions shouldn't be affected, should they?

There doesn't seem to be any consistancy.

I use Thunderbird too and never know about the N and T functions. Always
something new to learn, eh what!

Anyway..... instead of N and T, I use the down arrow key. You can go
one post at a time or if you hold the key down you can skip over a bunch
without opening them.

You can also customise your tool bar by selecting
View - Toolbar - Customise
from the menu and dragging your preferred buttons on to your toolbar.

Lizzy
Old January 9th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Just tried that and the N didn't work. Next time it happens unexpectedly
I'll try the Caps lock.

My watch stopped working so I took it in for a new bttery - turned out I
had caught the little winder knob with something and it had pulled out.
The shop just pushed it back in and the watch went! Very simple when you
can pinpoint what has caused the problems.

Thanks.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old January 9th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Thanks. I like the way the N goes to the next unread post, rather than
going through every post I have already read again. Having played I
suspect I had the Caps Lock on.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old January 15th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
S R Glickman

Anyway of deleting a post after you've read it?

Thanks

Susan

Old January 15th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Using the N key (of clicking on Next) will advance you to the next
unread message. You could try going to Tools-Account Settings-Offline
and Disk Space for the account you use for reading news groups. (I don't
use my regular e-mail account so I can mung the name that shows up in
From and Reply-to.) There is an option there for determining how long
to keep messages. Mine is set for "Don't delete any messages." I don't
know what a different setting there would do.

Julia in MN
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old January 17th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
allisonh

If you go "View - Threads - Unread" then next time you open the
newsgroup only the unread posts will show on the list. So the posts
aren't really deleted but they won't bother you as much.

Allison