Ruth McDowell Workshop

Old October 22nd 05, 04:52 AM
shhdesigns

Default Ruth McDowell Workshop

I'm thinking that 4 days is going to be just right. Can't do much in the
evening after them, but hope to get started on some sewing next weekend, if
I manage to audition all the fabrics.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
om...
I did a two day workshop with her last year, and that was about all my
brain could handle. She said that was the last two day workshop she was
doing, because two days wasn't enough to "get" her technique. Personally, I
thought it was plenty.

When possible, I try to schedule as much time in my studio after a class
as I spent in class. If I'm in class for a full day, I try to schedule a
full day of studio time afterwards. That lets me "redo" the class at home,
while it's still fresh. That seems to be the only way for me to really
internalize what I've learned. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to stick in my
brain.
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

"KJ" wrote in message
I have a friend here who wants to bring Ruth here for a workshop. I'm not
sure I have the concentration to spend 5 days working all day. I like to
learn something, then go home to my studio and implement it. Trying to
take all my materials to a workshop is really daunting.
I'll be interested to hear how this all works out for you. I'm sure it
will be great!

--
Kathyl
remove "nospam" before mchsi

"shhdesigns" wrote in message
I am, there is so much information. She suggested we might want to have
a pile of fat quarters to pat periodically because so much of today and
tomorrow is all on paper and we tend to look a bit glassed over at times.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues
www.shh.apparitiondesigns.com
"Helen in MN" wrote in message
She is the one person I would die to take a class from. Her quilts are
magnificent!
Have a very good time.

Helen in MN

--

"shhdesigns" wrote in message
I just returned home from my first day of a 4 day workshop with Ruth
McDowell. Wow!!! Last night she did a slide show and commentary. How
magnificent some of her works are. She has a great set of WebPages to
be viewed.

Today we were working from our photo enlargements and deciding between
curved or straight line piecing.

Our co-ordinators arranged to have our works enlarged to the size we
wanted the finished quilt to be by a graphic art firm. They will be
ready for us tomorrow morning!

I managed to get a copy of her Pieced Flowers book, it is now out of
print. I'm looking forward to the next 3 days. Hope to maybe have a
bit of the fabrics cut up and ready for sewing. I'm planning a 30" x
44" finished size, although I may bump it up larger when I see it
tomorrow. I'm working on a gerbera daisy design, from a photo I took
this year. She really likes you to work from original photos, due to
copyright issues.

Cheers,

Old October 22nd 05, 04:57 AM
shhdesigns

Hi Pat,
I've taken a few pictures along the way. The organizers arranged for our
works to be enlarged overnight. My piece is now about 30" x 36" if I extend
it down. I was planning on about 44", but decided that I prefer the smaller
dimension.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues
www.shh.apparitiondesigns.com
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
How exciting Sandi!! I look forward to your updates. Sort of a virtual
workshop for the rest of us.
PAT in VA/USA

Old October 22nd 05, 04:59 AM
shhdesigns

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
In article I8X5f.244370$oW2.57224@pd7tw1no,
"shhdesigns" wrote:

[...]

Wow! I can't wait to see pics of what you end up with from the class,
Sandi!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Right now I've almost finished my master and then have to trace it onto
freezer paper tomorrow. Should be auditioning fabrics tomorrow and maybe
cutting some templates and ironing on the freezer paper.

I got two piece of black foam core 20" x 30" that I'm going to tape together
to make a larger work size and pin the fabrics on as they are applied to the
freezer paper.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues
www.shh.apparitiondesigns.com

AD: Electroforming Workshop - Toledo Tinkster Beads 5 April 1st 05 02:31 AM
Kumihimo workshop Lee S. Billings Beads 5 March 14th 05 12:19 AM
Ruth McDowell books Helen in MN Quilting 11 October 10th 04 05:23 AM
Ruth in Happy Camp Coleen Quilting 0 August 16th 04 02:49 AM
Sounding clay workshop in Vermont James Clark Pottery 0 June 24th 04 02:23 PM