Not entirely OT -- sewing project woes

Old October 10th 05, 07:18 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

Where someone might buy it to cut it apart and use the fabric in a quilt!

the black rose wrote:

When this thing is done, I'm giving it to the Salvation Army.

Old October 10th 05, 07:28 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Kate Dicey wrote:
Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:

Sharon Harper wrote:

ROFLOL! Someone else like me! I tried to make a pair of trousers
(labeled
easy - the islam type that go under a long tunic with a drawstring
waist).
I can do this I thought. Yes, pig's are flying everywhere because them
trousers never got finished. The legs were easy but joining them to
each
other and the waist and the ...... Hurled itno a corner never to be
seen
agains....

I once got carried away making a pair of trousers, and instead of
stitching the leg seams up singly, joined them together and made a
tube instead of 2 legs...

Suzie B

Jeans skirts are all the rage again, Suzie...

for a man???

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the (undamaged end of the) pier!"
Southend, UK

Old October 10th 05, 09:24 PM
Kate Dicey

Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:

Jeans skirts are all the rage again, Suzie...

for a man???

Suzie B

https://secure.utilikilts.com/catalog-denim-index.htm

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 10th 05, 09:26 PM
Kate Dicey

the black rose wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

Tip: sew the back sections of the thing together WITHOUT the lining
and then put the zip in! Less bulk and awkwardness to get through the
machine.

Then finish the lining as a separate garment, sew it in round the
neck, and hand stitch it round the armholes and the zip.

Too late! *cry*

I forgot to mention the SET-IN POCKETS.

And I also forgot to mention that I got so absorbed in struggling with
this thing that I burned the pork chops last night.

When this thing is done, I'm giving it to the Salvation Army.

Just have a ritual cremation for it, to go with the chunks of pig!

Old October 12th 05, 04:41 PM
Julia in MN

Sandy Foster wrote:
All of that was good training for me, but I no longer make garments of
any sort. Gone are the days of making all of my two DDs' clothes and
underwear, as well as tailored suits and dresses for me to wear to work.

I'm pretty good at figuring out how to do something by reading about it,
so I'm pretty much self-taught at sewing, though my mom did a lot of
sewing when her kids were small. I sewed a lot for my kids and myself
when they were small, but no longer do much garment sewing. I do still
make my own swim suits for water aerobics. The chemicals in the pool are
hard on them, and I can make one with about 5/8 yard of fabric and an
hour or two with the serger, so it is a real money saver.

Yay! When DD asked me the other day if I could repair the fly zipper on
DGS's school pants, I recommended the dry cleaner's repair service. LOL!
I'll take quilting any day! VBG

Same here. When my son wanted the zipper replaced in his winter jacket,
I hired someone to do it and gave him the repaired jacket for his
birthday. He thought that was a great gift! LOL!

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old October 13th 05, 01:11 AM
MB

I brought my DH's slacks w/ broken zipper to the sewing shop too !!...and I
used
to sew alot of garments and just now remembered that I used to turn the
collars on
his shirts !!..wow...that was ages ago...I doubt if anyone does that today
...or even
know that it was once done!...I feel ancient. Mary

Old October 13th 05, 01:47 AM
Taria

Mom said grandma used to turn collars. That was a long time ago.
Everytime I toss a shirt with a worn collar I feel sort of like
a slacker. The cuffs got turned sometime too if I remember right.
Too bad we are such a throw away society.
Taria

Old October 13th 05, 03:12 AM
MB

I never did turn cuffs !.... And I never mended socks. Although I always
used to mend my kids things I haven't seen
a patch on a pair of kids pants/jeans in years . Guess the kids don't
like
them mended either . Mary

Old October 13th 05, 05:22 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

When my oldest son was in high school he had a favorite pair of brown
jeans. This being the 60s he wanted me to patch them. By the time the
seventh patch was put in place I told him he was NOT wearing those
things to school anymore. The next time I saw them my daughter was
wearing them to school!

"Julia in MN" wrote in message

Sandy Foster wrote:

[...]

Euro-Pro or Craft-N-Sew Sewing Machine Catherine K. Needlework 2 August 25th 05 11:56 AM
RCTQ FAQ July 2005 frood Quilting 7 July 8th 05 01:09 PM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 September 1st 04 02:30 PM
Sewing machine feet for trade, Singer and others. Dr. Landerstein Marketplace 0 March 21st 04 05:52 PM
FA: Abundance of Vogue patterns buck16 Marketplace 0 February 20th 04 09:48 PM