Fishing Line For Stringing

Old June 10th 05, 02:48 AM
Fenrir Enterprises

Default Fishing Line For Stringing

Has anyone used any of the newer brands of fishing line for stringing
thread? Most books I've read on beading say fishing line 'doesn't hang
as well' as nylon beading thread, but some of the newer types are more
string-like and seem to hang well rather than being hard, unflexible
cord. It's also /much/ cheaper than buying beading cord. The only
problem I see is most of the premium types that have the most
thread-like feel are not clear and have odd colors that would look
strange if you didn't have the beads strung tightly enough that you
can't see the cord at all.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.
Old June 10th 05, 07:31 AM
Carla

I use Fireline almost exclusively now for stringing. The grey one
(looks black on the spool) isn't very noticeable at all once strung. It
knots better than many of the beading strings/wires I tried. If you try
it, be sure to purchase from a sporting goods/fishing store. Bead
stores carry it now, but it costs more.

Cheers,
Carla

Old June 10th 05, 03:39 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

I use Fireline in the 6# test version and love it for seed bead work.
For basic strung items, I still use SoftTouch beading wire.

Barbara
Old June 10th 05, 07:10 PM
Diana Curtis

Barbara, or may I call you Barb? Does the 6# test come in monofilament
as well as braided and if so which is the right stuff for seed bead work?
Diana, you may call me Di ;-)

Old June 10th 05, 07:59 PM
Polly S.

Diana Curtis wrote:
Barbara, or may I call you Barb? Does the 6# test come in monofilament
as well as braided and if so which is the right stuff for seed bead work?
Diana, you may call me Di ;-)

You're just so silly... {{{hugs}}}

Polly
just don't call me cracker!!!

--
don't spook my groove...
icq 13968113
Old June 10th 05, 08:42 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

It's a multistrand fiber, it doesn't appear to be braided. 6# works
wonderfully well for brick & peyote with delicas. I can pbt the beads
several times before getting to much in the hole and the needle getting
stuck.

You can call me Barb or you can call me Barbara...just don't call me
Barbie or late to dinner. ;-)
Old June 10th 05, 08:42 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Jon says that his family has been in FL for so long that they really
aren't crackers, but matzas.

B.

Old June 11th 05, 12:32 AM
Polly S.

Diana Curtis wrote:
What about Ester?

hehehe as long as I don't have to wear it!!!

Oh! I finally started tumbling some beads!!! When I told vj, her
reaction was wonderful... I still laugh when I think about it. She did
not know you could tumble clay and responded accordingly... panicked and
horrified that I would try such a thing!!! It was sweet and priceless!

I also learned that timers do no good when you turn them off and then
ignore or don't reset them!!! No harm done, as it was just to remind
me to check them. Two hours later, when I remembered, they were good.
I'm doing a finer tumble tonight. This is time consuming but still
easier than hand sanding, and not as messy as I expected!!!

--
Polly

--
don't spook my groove...
icq 13968113
Old June 11th 05, 03:30 AM
Diana Curtis

Hand sanding.... arent your hands smooth enough as it is? I have a palm
sander. I can barely hold onto things my hands are so glossy!
Ok.. kidding aside. I dislike sanding anything small by hand. Its part
of why I dont make things that need to be sanded. Molds are good,
sanding bad.
Let me know how your tumbled batch turns out.
Diana