Socks: sport weight or sock yarn?

Old December 24th 03, 02:47 PM
Knitterbugs

Default Socks: sport weight or sock yarn?

Hi everyone;

I've never made socks before, but I want to give it a try. Most of the sock
patterns on the web call for sport weight yarn. Can someone tell me the
difference between sport weight and sock yarn? I'm thinking the sport weight
might be thicker, but I'm just guessing. I was think of starting with the tube
socks on Frugal Haus.

Thanks for your help,
~Pam

Knitterbugs
http://journals.aol.com/knitterbugs/knittingblog
Old December 24th 03, 03:08 PM
Slinky

What most people call "sock yarn" (Opal, Regia) is closer to
"fingering weight". Sportweight is a bit heavier. If it helps, I
generally knit "sock yarn" at 8-9 stitches per inch, and sport weight
at 6-7.

Old December 24th 03, 05:59 PM
Agres

We love her dearly, but Slinky is an "Elite" knitter! I think she has
forgotten just how hard that first pair of real-knit-in-the-round socks
are.

When I first tried socks, I made several false starts with thin yarn, but
the first pair of socks that I actually completed were boot socks made out
of a thcker yarn ("2 ply", 215 yards/ 4 oz knit at 17 stitches/ 4 inch). Big
stitches make it easier to see what is going on, easier to pick up stitches,
and progress is fast so there is some immediate gratificaation. The fist
sock pattern that I actually completed is free at
http://knitting.about.com/library/bldadsocks.htm. I'm sure that these are
not the socks you were dreaming of when you decided to knit a pair of socks.
Oh, No! They are more like algebra homework that you do just to gain basic
skills. The same pattern knit with a chunky yarn like Lopi makes a nice
thick warm house sock. Frankly, my first pair took a couple of days due to
some false starts, but now I can do a pair in an evening.

Aaron

Old December 24th 03, 06:55 PM
Slinky

Well, in the FWIW department, I still hvae the first pair of socks I
made. I used Regia 4-faedig (4-ply) in one of the self-striping
colors. The base color was black, which was hell on the eyes. I
hadn't yet gotten clueful about sock knitting so when the book I had
said "knit at as tight a gauge as you can to improve wear blah blah" I
took it literally. Those socks ate several bamboo needles, and they
stand up on their own due to the small gauge of about 16spi.

They also don't fit any human in existence, including the the-small
child for whom I made them.

I use them as an example of what not to do when knitting anything, but
particularly socks.

I've loosened up considerably since then!

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:59:52 GMT, "Agres"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old December 24th 03, 07:20 PM
Slinky

wrote:

We love her dearly, but Slinky is an "Elite" knitter!

PS -- "Elite" I am not, but I will own up to being a yarn snob *g*
Old December 24th 03, 07:37 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:20:13 GMT, Slinky wrote:

PS -- "Elite" I am not, but I will own up to being a yarn snob *g*

Sputter!
LOL!
Noreen

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.
Old December 24th 03, 08:14 PM
Katherine

Aaron,
I am with you. I think that a beginner should start with a heavier weight
yarn. Joan's Woolease Socks (do a google for the pattern) are made with
worsted weight, and they are ideal beginner socks.
Katherine

m...

Old December 24th 03, 08:24 PM
JudyTurpin

Aaron,
I am with you. I think that a beginner should start with a heavier weight
yarn. Joan's Woolease Socks (do a google for the pattern) are made with
worsted weight, and they are ideal beginner socks.
Katherine BRBR

My first pair were boot socks for me made with LOPI.
They are wonderful under my field boots which have room for thick warm socks -
and I have worn them for years. I then made some boot socks for my son when
he was a college student in upstate New York ( I guess it must have been almost
10 years ago) and he loved them too as he wasn't used to the snowy winters. My
last pair though were scrumptious socks made with fingering weight sock yarn
that kept my feet warm while out working on a political campaign this fall. I
have done some sportweight socks prefer them either thicker or thinner.
JCT

Sock Yarn littlewings67 Marketplace 0 January 20th 05 10:08 AM
Fun Fur, Sock Yarn, Cottons, Other Yarn for Sale ellbee Marketplace 0 April 6th 04 03:12 PM
My yarn addiction Elsa Yarn 24 December 17th 03 05:30 AM
Yarn Weight Catagories DA Yarn 5 December 6th 03 03:02 AM
Sock and Fingering YARN? Kitty Fluff Yarn 6 December 6th 03 01:03 AM