Toddler Quilt

Old January 22nd 05, 01:03 AM
Mika

Crayons?! Hmmm. Well I wouldn't have thought of that in light years. I would
have been afraid it would wash out or ruin the fabric or something. I'll
have to remember that one.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"Tracey" wrote in message
om...

"Mika" wrote in message
... I want to cut letters out of fabric and
sew the letters onto blocks. But I
do NOT appliqué. What would you all do to make letter blocks?

Why not color them? You can use muslin, pigma pens and regular crayons.
Draw what you want on a piece of paper with a marker. Tape the paper on a
window, put the muslin over it and trace it with a pencil (or use a
lightbox if you have one). Outline the letters with a pigma pen. Color
directly onto the fabric. Then use an iron on medium heat, no steam to
press the crayon into the muslin. Use papertowels on the bottom, then the
fabric right side up, then more paper towels. Press. Let it cool, then
flip it over and press again.

I've done this with a few quilts, and I've washed them a couple times
without problems.

Tracey in CT

Old January 22nd 05, 01:06 AM
Mika

Ok great. Thanks again. I emailed you, did you get it? I hope I had the
right email addy.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"nana2b" wrote in message
I wouldn't mind at all. My machine should be back to me early this week.
I am in the RCTQ directory, so you can write me off list if you need to.

Linda in Plano TX

Old January 22nd 05, 01:12 AM
Mika

Ok Thanks Merry. If something happens that she can't, I will let you know
and I really appreciate your offer. We are supposed to get either 6-12" or
15-18" depending on where you draw the line. We're right in the middle of
the two predictions so who knows how much we'll get. If that makes any
sense. We got about 5" just a couple of days ago. Good thing I have enough
fabric in my stash to keep me busy for a few days. LOL.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"merrystitch" wrote in message
If Linda can't do it, please contact me, Mika. I would be more than happy
to help. My machine is sitting right here & we've got a 6-12" snowfall
predicted for tonight & tomorrow.

Merrystitch
"

Old January 22nd 05, 06:14 AM
Pati Cook

Mika, to learn paper piecing a great book is _Show Me How to Paper
Piece_ by Carol Doak. It has the foundation papers to make a small
quilt of hearts and has absolutely great instructions, along with step
by step photos. Not terribly expensive and a great way to start.

Pati, in Phx

Mika wrote:

How about paper pieced letters, Mika? Carol Doak has some great ones
(resizable to whatever dimensions you want) in her newest book: 300
Paper-Pieced Quilt Blocks.

Hey Sandy. Someone else mentioned this book. I don't have a clue how to
paper piece so I'm just going to have to get the book sometime. I've heard
my mom talk about using newspapers to piece quilts years ago. But I have
never tried it. It's on my to-do list though.

I just finished up my root canal today so I'm a bit on stress overload
right
now. That's why I need EASY.

I hope that went well for you!

It actually did go well. This was the first time in my entire life that I
have let a dentist near my teeth without the Novocain first. He finished it
without deadening my gums and it was virtually painless. I am absolutely
terrified of dentists. But it's over now and this dentist is good. So I
think I'll keep him for awhile.

Mika