Toddler Quilt

Old January 20th 05, 07:43 PM
Mika

Default Toddler Quilt

I have a tiny friend in Vermont that I'm going to make a quilt for and need
some suggestions. His name is Jordan, he is 3 y/o and is not well. He was
born with a kidney problem that resulted in him having both kidneys removed.
Because of this he has to have dialysis daily and has been hospitalized
numerous times. At the moment he is waiting on a kidney transplant, his dad
is donating a kidney. The last time I talked to his dad a couple of weeks
ago, Jordan was in the hospital due to seizures and high blood pressure.
Mike told me that the transplant could take place at any time in the near
future. Jordan also has a 2 y/o sister at home. I'm going to make matching
quilts for them so when Jordan goes to the hospital he can take his with him
but Tasha can have one like it to feel close to him. The thing I want to do
to make them different from each other is to put their names on the quilts.
This is where I need help.

I want to cut letters out of fabric and sew the letters onto blocks. But I
do NOT appliqué. What would you all do to make letter blocks? I don't have
an embroidery machine (yet) otherwise I would just embroidery the letters on
blocks and go from there. I've seen some really neat decorative fonts for
embroidery machines. Geez I can sooo not wait until I get my embroidery
machine but I digress. So all you wonderful Goddess's of Quilts, please help
me out here and give me some suggestions. I'm at a loss. I need something
EASY to sew with EASY directions.

I just finished up my root canal today so I'm a bit on stress overload right
now. That's why I need EASY.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

Old January 20th 05, 08:08 PM
Anne

Mika,
Do you paper piece? It is dead easy to paper piece letters. At least two
of Carol Doak's books have alphabet blocks -- Easy Paper-pieced Keepsake
Quilts, ISBN 1-56477-109-1;and the new one, 300 Paper-pieced Quilt
Blocks, ISBN 1-56477-534-8

Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm

Old January 20th 05, 09:48 PM
Mika

Unfortunately Anne, I have never paper pieced and have no clue where to
start or how to do it. I will check at JoAnn's this weekend and see if they
have either of the books. I still have my mailer with a 40% off coupon and a
new book would be a good way to use it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old January 20th 05, 10:03 PM
georg

Mika wrote:

I want to cut letters out of fabric and sew the letters onto blocks. But I
do NOT appliqué. What would you all do to make letter blocks?

I would take graph paper and draw the letters and Piece them. The
occassional triangle is likely needed. But a grid of 5 wide and 7 high
can do most letters.

-georg
Old January 20th 05, 10:11 PM
Moira Riddell

Mika, just starch the fabric you want to cut out the letters for, use a
tempory spray adhesive on the wrong side, and then use a zig zag stitch wide
enough to cover the edges and hey presto, that is all there is too it, other
than the placing of the letters. The starch will give you control of the
stitching, and can be washed off with no problems....

Moira

Old January 20th 05, 11:12 PM
nana2b

Hi Mika, If you can wait a few more days, I would be happy to embroider
their names on the block and send them to you. Tuesday my Bernie 200E died
in the middle of a design. I do have the Deco 650 as a backup if you want
them ASAP. Let me know if I can help you out!

Old January 20th 05, 11:43 PM
Adella

I can't answer your question but I just want to tell you what a lovely
idea this is!
I know your efforts will be deeply appreciated.

Old January 20th 05, 11:46 PM
Sandy Foster

In article , "Mika"
wrote:

snip
I want to cut letters out of fabric and sew the letters onto blocks. But I
do NOT appliqué. What would you all do to make letter blocks? I don't have
an embroidery machine (yet) otherwise I would just embroidery the letters on
blocks and go from there. I've seen some really neat decorative fonts for
embroidery machines. Geez I can sooo not wait until I get my embroidery
machine but I digress. So all you wonderful Goddess's of Quilts, please help
me out here and give me some suggestions. I'm at a loss. I need something
EASY to sew with EASY directions.

How about paper pieced letters, Mika? Carol Doak has some great ones
(resizable to whatever dimensions you want) in her newest book: 300
Paper-Pieced Quilt Blocks.

I just finished up my root canal today so I'm a bit on stress overload right
now. That's why I need EASY.

I hope that went well for you!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old January 20th 05, 11:50 PM
Violet \F'loonslayer\ Volfie

"Mika" wrote in message
[..] The thing I want to do
to make them different from each other is to put their names on the

quilts.
This is where I need help.

I want to cut letters out of fabric and sew the letters onto blocks. But I
do NOT appliqué. What would you all do to make letter blocks?

[..]

How about the technique they use to put applique on sweatshirts? Use the
iron-on adhesive paper on the fabric, cut out the letters, iron them to the
quilt and then outline the letters in washable puffy paint? That will give
a nice texture to the quilt that the kids might enjoy, too. And it's
durable because someone gave me a sweatshirt with that sort of applique on
it and I washed and wore it forever.

Giselle

Old January 21st 05, 03:10 AM
Tracey

"Mika" wrote in message
... I want to cut letters out of fabric and
sew the letters onto blocks. But I
do NOT appliqué. What would you all do to make letter blocks?

Why not color them? You can use muslin, pigma pens and regular crayons.
Draw what you want on a piece of paper with a marker. Tape the paper on a
window, put the muslin over it and trace it with a pencil (or use a
lightbox if you have one). Outline the letters with a pigma pen. Color
directly onto the fabric. Then use an iron on medium heat, no steam to
press the crayon into the muslin. Use papertowels on the bottom, then the
fabric right side up, then more paper towels. Press. Let it cool, then
flip it over and press again.

I've done this with a few quilts, and I've washed them a couple times
without problems.

Tracey in CT