Thread colors for MQ (long)

Old January 19th 05, 06:14 PM
Butterfly

Maybe she is just trying to catch up to us...time for us to hone our skills
Butterfly
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
No kidding Ms. B! I think I created a Monster! ;P
PAT in VA/USA

Butterfly wrote:

NICE sidelined beg here ; )
Ragmop..we have another contender trying to gain on Pat and I---
Butterfly (and you thought I was still abed did you)
"Sandy Foster" wrote in message

The quilt sounds really lovely, Pat. As for those triangles, if you can
find a variegated thread with most of the same (or similar, or blending)
colors in it, I'd go for that! Of course, I love variegated threads, but
I think it would solve the problem of the white being too glaring or the
dark being too dreary. Why don't you send it to me so I can see it,
since your camera is broken? Of course, I'd prefer to see it after it's
finished.... Still, in keeping with the title you bestowed upon me, I
feel it's my duty to inspect this piece and give you the best opinion I
can. g

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old January 19th 05, 06:44 PM
Ellison

Howdy!

Yes.

Ragmop/Sandy--just watched Peter Sellers as Chance in
"Being There" VBG

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
some time ago someone here asked about using more than one color quilting
thread on a quilt. I said that while I had never done it, I thought it
would work okay. HA! I inadvertently lied. Since then I noticed that my
little Down Under Santa WH has at least 4 colors of thread. Yesterday I
was sorting UFOs and found more evidence of my duplicity.

Now I want some advice on what color to quilt a portion of a UFO. It is a
Sampler of many different 12" blocks made from HST. Each block has the
same group of HST. There are two dark colors and two light colors of
triangles, each paired with white. Quilt backing is Dark Blue print.

So far, I have SITD the sashing in Dark Blue; all White HST have stipple
in White thread. In both cases I used same color thread in top and bobbin.
Back looks real interesting with white stippling.

Now I wonder what to use on the color triangles. Those a Dark Blue,
Maroon, Light Blue, Pink. Since all the colors are in each block I am
stumped. Would White be too glaring against the dark tones? Would Dark be
too dreary on the light tones? Maybe I should hunt for an appropriate
multicolor thread? Our camera is broken, so I hope this description works.
Thanks bunches for you advice!

PAT in ccccold VA/USA

Old January 19th 05, 07:41 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Butterfly" wrote:

NICE sidelined beg here ; )
Ragmop..we have another contender trying to gain on Pat and I---
Butterfly (and you thought I was still abed did you)

No, no, no! That wasn't a beg; it was an official request as part of my
duties! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! VBG
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old January 19th 05, 07:42 PM
Sandy Foster

In article R9xHd.18218$Tf5.1103@lakeread03,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

No kidding Ms. B! I think I created a Monster! ;P
PAT in VA/USA

That's right -- it's all *your* fault!

Old January 20th 05, 07:23 AM
DrQuilter

I have to vote against the variegated thread. If you get one that goes
from pink to maroon to dark blue to light blue and back to pink, like
someone else said will not show the areas where the match is too good,
and if you are not going to use those colours, why go with a variegated
at all?

I would try different solids, e.g., red, or grey, something that will go
well with all those, will look neat in the back with the dark blue and
white, or else go with the invisble (but I hate that if the tension is
not exactly right you get those little knobs - never tried using in both
top and bobbin but wasn't someone talking about that recently?)

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old January 20th 05, 03:26 PM
Pat in Virginia

Marissa: I was wondering about those issues too. Good
reason to make a 'small sandwich' to try different
thread. I might as well make it pot holder size and get
some benefit of it. The sashing fabric is a pretty blue
floral, with touches of medium pink and green. Sashing
corners are green. I am now thinking of trying a medium
green thread for the quilting. It might add some
pizzazz from a quilt that need it!
Thanks to you and all who offered ideas. PAT

Old January 21st 05, 02:01 PM
Maureen Wozniak

I'd lay samples of thread in each of the colors of the HST's across the
block and see which you like best.

Maureen