Blanket stitch (handmade or machine-made)

Old June 14th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Default Blanket stitch (handmade or machine-made)

Betty Vereen Hill wrote:

Joy, I know how to thread my machine for twin needles, but for the life of
me,
I can't comprehend how one uses double threads in the bobbin. The mind
reels, LOL. Would you please enlighten me? Thanks for the tips.

Betty

You don't: you use a single thread and it zigzags between the two top
threads.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old June 15th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:23:13 -0400, "Betty Vereen Hill"
wrote:

I can't comprehend how one uses double threads in the bobbin.

I just wind it from two spools at the same time. Once the threads got
out of synch and I had to cut them off the bobbin, but usually there
is no problem at all. It's important to tie the ends of the threads
in an overhand knot to keep them together.

From Rough Sewing, file 026:

To wind a bobbin with double thread, thread your machine
as for twin needle work as far as the place where the needle
path diverges from the bobbin-winder path, then treat the
two threads as one from there on. You would expect two
threads going through one tension device to wind unevenly,
but I've never had any difficulty. After you cut the
threads, knot the ends to keep them from getting out of
synch -- and further mark this bobbin as being double wound.
Since this knot is in the waste thread that will be behind
the presser foot when you start sewing, there is no need to
cut it off before sewing.

[parenthetical remark snipped]

When you remove the bobbin from the machine after using
it, tie another knot in the ends of the remaining thread.
If ever one thread gets a wrap ahead of the other, the two
threads will snarl each other and you'll end up cutting them
off the bobbin. (A seam ripper is convenient for this
procedure.)
If your machine doesn't have two spool pins, you'll have
to improvise. I've heard of stacking two bobbins on a
single spool pin, but I think it would be easier to put two
spools on a knitting needle thrust through a shoe box.

My thread dispenser is a knitting needle thrust through a box of
3 1/2" x 2 1/4" pinfeed cards. It was cluttering up the sewing room
anyway, and I figured it might as well earn its keep. Haven't
dispensed thread from it lately, but I still use it to store spare
balls of thread. (Since I have to mail-order 100/6 cotton, I get half
a dozen balls at a time.)

Joy Beeson
--
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- needlework

/

Old September 29th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
merrow

merrow had written this in response to
http://www.sewgirls.com/textiles/Re-...made-1581-.htm
:

the blanket stitch machine...

http://store.merrow.com/Model-18E-Me...B001AVPDNW.htm

the Folks from Merrow

wrote:

I can't comprehend how one uses double threads in the bobbin.

I just wind it from two spools at the same time. Once the threads got
out of synch and I had to cut them off the bobbin, but usually there
is no problem at all. It's important to tie the ends of the threads
in an overhand knot to keep them together.

From Rough Sewing, file 026:

[...]

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.sewing - 3612 messages and counting!

kmskuba sewing machinery Quilting 0 March 28th 06 02:57 PM
sewing machinery sewing machinery Beads 0 March 27th 06 03:27 PM
sewing machinery sewing machinery Beads 0 March 27th 06 03:26 PM
sewing machinery sewing machinery Sewing 0 March 20th 06 11:17 AM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 November 3rd 04 12:47 AM