Gingerbread men

Old August 1st 07, 11:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

Default Gingerbread men

When I mentioned these a couple of months ago I promised pics when my
"paw" had healed enough to be able to knit them. Well, here you a
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=PICT0166.jpg
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=PICT0169.jpg

These are the first 3 completed ones, there are another two waiting for
sewing and wadding and one partly knitted and I still have enough yarn
left over to make about a dozen in total. They are completely child safe
as the features are embroidered on and the wadding is washable polyester.

As the completed gingerbread house was opened to the public at the end of
June I e-mailed the charity about a closing date when no more gingerbread
men would be needed. They sent a lovely reply saying they need as many
more as they can get because the exhibition will continue for several
months yet.

This is a link to the charity project.
http://www.atlanticvillage.co.uk/new...aspx?newsId=89
I think it is a wonderful example of how talented knitters are!

Bernadette

Old August 1st 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news

When I mentioned these a couple of months ago I promised pics when my
"paw" had healed enough to be able to knit them. Well, here you a
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=PICT0166.jpg
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=PICT0169.jpg

These are so cute, Bernadette! ) Toys are always nice to have available
to give to charities for needy children... especially for Christmas gifts.
When my son was still in school and they did a collection of gifts for
children, I used to send knitted slippers with a small toy (matchbox cars
for boys, and a tiny doll for girls) hidden inside one of them. )

As the completed gingerbread house was opened to the public at the end of
June I e-mailed the charity about a closing date when no more gingerbread
men would be needed. They sent a lovely reply saying they need as many
more as they can get because the exhibition will continue for several
months yet.

This is a link to the charity project.
http://www.atlanticvillage.co.uk/new...aspx?newsId=89
I think it is a wonderful example of how talented knitters are!

It says the server is unavailable at this time, so I'll try to have a look
later! Why do they need "as many more as they can get" of the gingerbread
men? Are they giving them to needy children?

By the way... I know when you mentioned the gingerbread men before, I asked
about an online pattern for them, and a url was posted.... but when I saw
the pictures just now of the cute ones you made, I went looking for the
message that I was sure I had forwarded to myself, and I can't find it
anywhere. / Could you please post the url for the pattern again? This
time I will save the pattern page to my favorites right away so I don't lose
it again. Never too early for me to start making a few small gifts for
needy children. ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

Old August 1st 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 10:28:10 -0400, Not Likely wrote:

[...]

No problem Gem. The link I posted has the pattern attached but that's
not a lot of use to you if you can't get into it ;-)

There is an error in their instructions so I amended them for my own use
and am attaching the the amended ones for you to print off.

Gingerbread Men

D.K. Wool, 1 pair 4mm Needles, polyester stuffing, contrast wool for features.
Knitted in one piece (Make2)

Finished size: approx 6 inches from top to toe.

Left Leg
Cast on 7 sts
Row 1: P
Row 2: K2 tog. K4. Kfb.(Knit into front and back of st)
Rows 3,5,7 and 9: P
Rows 4,6,8 and 10: as row 2. Break yarn leaving leg on needle.

Right Leg
Cast on 7 Sts
Row 1: P
Row 2: Kfb.K4.K2 tog
Rows 3,5,7 and 9: P
Rows 4,6,8 and 10: as row 2. Slip sts of right leg onto a cable needle then slip onto needle holding left leg. Both legs have wrong side facing on the left needle. Re-join yarn, then purl across both legs

Body and Arms
Next Row: K2 tog at both ends of row
Next Row: P
Starting with a K row, work 7 rows st. st
Next Row: cast on 7sts P to end
Next Row: cast on 7sts K to end
Starting with a P row work 4 rows st, st
Next Row: cast off 7sts P to end
Next Row: cast off 7sts K to end

Shoulders and Head
Next Row: P2 tog at both ends of row (10 sts)
Next Row: K2 tog at both ends of row ( 8 sts)
Next Row: P2 tog at both ends of row ( 6 st)
Next Row: Kfb at both ends of row ( 8 sts)
Next Row: Pfb at both ends of row (10 sts)
Next Row: Kfb at both ends of row (12 sts)
Next Row: Pfb at both ends of row (14 sts)
Next Row: K
Next Row: P
Next Row: K
Next Row: P2 tog at both ends of row (12 sts)
Next Row: K2 tog at both ends of row (10 sts)
Next Row: P
Next Row: K2 tog at both ends of row ( 8 sts)

Cast off purlwise. Stitch up and stuff. Finish with embroidered eyes and
mouth.

Have fun!

Bernadette

Old August 1st 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:48:57 +0000, Bernadette wrote:

[...]

Sorry Gem, only when I re-read your post did I notice the question about
why they want loads of them. This is what they say on the site:
quote "We still need more knitted gingerbread men as they are hugely
popular in local events that take place. Please help out if you can."
end quote

They sell them and all proceeds go to the children's hospice and to the
Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children.

BTW I've noticed the pattern I've posted hasn't come out in proper format.
If you want me to send a better copy direct to you can you leave an e-mail
address on my blog which won't show up to anyone else who books in. The
blog addie is http://bernadette1508.wordpress.com/

Bernadette

Old August 1st 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news

Sorry Gem, only when I re-read your post did I notice the question about
why they want loads of them. This is what they say on the site:
quote "We still need more knitted gingerbread men as they are hugely
popular in local events that take place. Please help out if you can."
end quote

They sell them and all proceeds go to the children's hospice and to the
Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children.

Excellent! Very good cause! )

BTW I've noticed the pattern I've posted hasn't come out in proper format.
If you want me to send a better copy direct to you can you leave an e-mail
address on my blog which won't show up to anyone else who books in. The
blog addie is http://bernadette1508.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Bernadette! I just went to your blog and posted a message, after
having a look down farther on your page. Your work is wonderful... and I am
just drooling over the white sweater you made yourself... under the one you
are working on for your son... that is SO beautiful. Anyway, I left my
email address on there for you. )

*hugs*
Gem

Old August 1st 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news

No problem Gem. The link I posted has the pattern attached but that's
not a lot of use to you if you can't get into it ;-)

There is an error in their instructions so I amended them for my own use
and am attaching the the amended ones for you to print off.

Thank you, Bernadette! Just to be on the safe side (the pattern looked fine
to me on here) I saved it to two separate folders and forwarded it to
another email address of mine. So I have it in three places... *and* I put
my email on your blog for you to send it to me there too. ;o) I'm making
SURE I don't misplace the pattern this time. LOL

*hugs*
Gem

Old August 1st 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:17:42 -0400, Not Likely wrote:

[...]

Pleas Gem, tell me I'm not having another one of my senior moments. I've
checked out my blog and your message is there - but no e-mail addie to
send the pattern to. :-D

Bernadette

Old August 2nd 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:17:42 -0400, Not Likely wrote:

Thank you, Bernadette! I just went to your blog and posted a message,
after having a look down farther on your page. Your work is wonderful...
and I am just drooling over the white sweater you made yourself... under
the one you are working on for your son... that is SO beautiful.
Anyway,
I left my email address on there for you. )

*hugs*
Gem

Pleas Gem, tell me I'm not having another one of my senior moments. I've
checked out my blog and your message is there - but no e-mail addie to
send the pattern to. :-D

Bernadette

*giggle* I did what you asked me to do, and added my email address on the
part where it asks me to do (in fact it says that it is required, but won't
show up on your blog). Gotta love the way some things are supposed to work
and don't, huh? ;o) No worries... I'll put my email address here... just
change the capitalized word for the proper symbol.

*hugs*
Gemini (who has frequent blonde moments, but a few of my friends insist I
have a blonde *life* instead) ;o)

gemsawriter AT yahoo DOT ca --- there you go, Bernadette!

Old August 2nd 07, 11:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 01:09:12 -0400, Not Likely wrote:

[...]

lol Gem. Done that and e-mail, plus pattern, is on its way to you.
Ooh! I think I prefer the sound of "blonde moments" to "senior moments" -
perhaps I'll adopt that as I certainly seem to be having more of them
lately! :-D

Old August 2nd 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 01:09:12 -0400, Not Likely wrote:

*hugs*
Gemini (who has frequent blonde moments, but a few of my friends insist I
have a blonde *life* instead) ;o)

lol Gem. Done that and e-mail, plus pattern, is on its way to you.
Ooh! I think I prefer the sound of "blonde moments" to "senior moments" -
perhaps I'll adopt that as I certainly seem to be having more of them
lately! :-D

Well I was blonde most of my life and my hair decided to try a different
colour once I hit my 20s. Not that I didn't like the colour... in real life
it was a carmel colour... however in pictures (even professional ones) my
hair turned out looking black and I hated that. Soooo, I went back to being
blonde... and now when I goof up and have a *blonde moment* I say "And that
is the reason I went back to being blonde!" LOL

*hugs*
Gem