Tatting

Old July 27th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
vanmier

Default Tatting

Does anyone here Tat? I am looking for recommendations for "Tatting for
beginners" sort of sites or books. I have been looking at other Tatting
books and I am thinking about giving it a go. Any help or suggestions would
be quite helpful.

Christy

Old July 27th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary

I tat, and have made quite a few edgings for handkerchiefs, collars,
and a very large number of individual motifs used as Christmas
ornaments. I tried off and on for years to learn tatting from all
sorts of written and illustrated instructions, and all I got were
knots. Then one day I was at a craft fair and saw a lady tatting, and
she was kind enough to have me sit with her while she taught me. I
suggest you find someone to teach you in person!

Old July 27th 07, 06:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shirley Shone

This site shows how to tat.
Hope it helps
Shirley
Http://www.wcnet.org/~scwheels/page24.htm

In message .net,
vanmier writes

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old July 27th 07, 08:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

I taught myself to tat from vintage books - it was a frustrating
experience initially but one day my technique came right and I was
away. I suspect learning from a person would be easier so I'd advise
that option if you can find someone.

Mrs Beeton's Book of Needlework has instructions and patterns, you can
download it free from Project Gutenberg:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/15147
(Get the HTML copy so you have the images)

VP

Old July 27th 07, 09:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"vanmier" wrote in message
link.net...
Does anyone here Tat? I am looking for recommendations for "Tatting for
beginners" sort of sites or books. I have been looking at other Tatting
books and I am thinking about giving it a go. Any help or suggestions
would be quite helpful.

Christy

I don't tat - I don't like the result and it's too fiddly but Spouse tats.
He just picked up a book and shuttle and thread and did it.

I can't do with people who can do everything :-(

But, as I said, I don't like the results and nobody else wants doyleys these
days so they're littered around the house.

So saying, we made new lampshades in the same colour parchment for table
lamps recently. They're different sizes and shapes so to co-ordinate them we
found some crochet cotton in the same colour, but deeper, as the new painted
walls and made trim for the shades. I knitted lace edgings for one, he
tatted some for another, I crocheted a third set and he says he'll do a
netting decoration for the fourth. We like them and they've been admired by
those who have noticed them - that is those who've had them pointed out :-)

It will have to wait until the darker months though, he's busy outside when
it's light and warm, making lanterns for a Virginian museum.

So much to do - so little life left to do it in!

Mary

Old July 27th 07, 10:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 03:01:15 +0000, vanmier wrote:

Does anyone here Tat? I am looking for recommendations for "Tatting for
beginners" sort of sites or books. I have been looking at other Tatting
books and I am thinking about giving it a go. Any help or suggestions
would be quite helpful.

Christy

There is a very good video on this site Christy:
http://www.gagechek.com/slb/

While there are plenty of written instructions available this is the only
one I could find that actually shows you "how" in detail.

Have fun :-)
Bernadette

OT tatting Kellie J. Berger Quilting 15 November 13th 06 03:25 PM
tatting angel Sewing 6 June 28th 06 02:17 PM
Tatting pat berry Needlework 12 November 30th 05 11:01 AM
info on tatting Stella Fenley Yarn 9 April 5th 05 05:27 PM
Tatting instruction Sue F Needlework 3 March 13th 05 04:23 PM