Norton-ectomy

Old September 7th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Default Norton-ectomy

We have taken organization and cleaning up to a new level. I called the
store where we bought out computer stuff and asked the tech dept to
recommend someone to come clean out all of the installed things I hate.
Number one on the list was Norton, two was Spy Sweeper. Three was anything
that AOL had ever touched.
I wanted the system I speak fluently - WordPerfect; not what Microsoft
piles on. I enjoy Webcrawler. It just does what you ask it to without
blinding you with ads and stuff you don't need or want.
Ahhhh.
Hot dog! Naturally, the computer store recommended some wonderful
people. Very thorough, qualified, well-mannered. Even knew how to rub the
Yorkie in just the right spot and patient about finding our group here. They
were so skilled and quick it was nearly blinding. Wow.
It's just unreal how much faster the computer can respond without having
to carry all that dead weight around. My goodness. Outrageously dumb of me
to be miserable when the computer could be un-installed and re-installed.
Not quite as dumb as sewing on a $ 6,000 SM with a dull needle. (Wondered
if I could get this on topic, didn't you?) Polly

Old September 7th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

Good for you, Polly. Had I known you needed to do that, I'd have come down
to visit and cleaned up your PC in good fashion. I do that on a routine
basis for others. Whenever I get a new PC, first thing I do is to reformat
the hard drive to get rid of all the installed stuff that expires in 90 days
anyway. I then install what I want (kinda favor the Microsoft Suite of
products though). I like Ad-aware and SpyBot for keeping the advertising
crap out of my hard drive. I use Qurb for spam and McAfee for firewall and
virus protection that my ISP provides as part of the service (notice, I
didn't say "free"). Never did like Norton anyway - to quirky with some of
my other programs.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/

"polly esther" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]
:
:

Old September 7th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

No, no, Alice. You were supposed to say that you never, ever made one
stitch on the SM with a dull needle. I didn't know that you can actually
buy a nekkid computer and have installed only what you want. It's like
buying a SM with a high-level of embroidery capabilities. If you want it -
go for it. If you are never, ever going to use it - no need for it to be in
the way or budget. Polly

Old September 7th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Hi, Polly! What a coincidence, I just wiped all the Norton stuff off my old
computer, and set up both new and old with the new Windows OneCare. I like
that program for its transparency, and it "plays well with others" which the
Norton stuff didn't do. But I won't be sure about its efficacy till I have
used it for a while.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green