Thing for cast iron skillet handle

Old November 15th 18, 08:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

Default Thing for cast iron skillet handle

The other day, on one of the many cooking shows on YouTube, I saw one of
the cooks with a insulated cover over the handle
(https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lodge-Ho...E&gclsrc=aw.ds)
that could just be left on the handle so the cook did not have to get
down one of his pot holders every time he needed to move the skillet
while cooking.

I figured that I could make one, but got to wondering if I needed to
purchase some insulbrite or if "regular batting," which I have, would
work. However, when I was at the dollar store, I looked through their
potholder/oven mitt section and decided to just get a potholder, fold it
over and sew it closed.

I haven't made something in my skillet to test it yet, but it looks like
it will work pretty well. I measured it, and it is 7" by 7" (before
sewing shut), which makes it just a little bit longer than the handle on
the skillet. I don't know if the batting in it is something like Insul
Brite, or if it is just regular batting, but I have used potholders or
oven mitts from the dollar store and they work just fine. Part of the
binding is folded over in a loop so I can hang it on a hook or cabinet
door handle if I need to put the skillet in the oven for making corn
bread or whatever. The potholders over at the dollar store come in sets
of 2 so I have a potholder that I did not sew to put over a handle that
I can use for putting hot pots/pans on the counter or whatever I might
need a regular potholder for. There were several different patterns and
colors available, and although how well it works or does not work
probably isn't affected by what color/pattern it is, I choose to get a
black one to match the skillet. All in all, much cheaper and
multipurpose than buying a "handle cover" from Amazon or Wal-mart or
Homedepot or whoever.
--
My Yonkoma: https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian0...57680223526176

The E-mail associated with the account is a "spamcatcher" account that I
got to every couple of months to empty out, and anything sent to it will
not be seen for probably several months, if it is seen at all.
Brian Christiansen
Old November 15th 18, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Hello Brian,
I would make me one if I were you since you already have the insulbrite.. The other kind of hot pads have a lot of padding which would be bulky if you folded it over. This is a great idea especially on pans and skillets that have metal handles. Just a thought.
Sandy$
Old November 24th 18, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

I had one of those and threw it away. After a couple of uses, it stuck to the extremely hot handle. When I peeled it off, the inside was black and burnt. It was only used on the gas stovetop, never in the oven. I now have a Lodge brand silicone handle guard which I prefer, but stovetop only.

Denise in NH
Old November 27th 18, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

I bought some handle pot holders many, many years ago from Cost Plus. I don’t use them a lot, but they have held up really well. I do have a gas cook top. I’m sure your Dollar Store version will hold up as well.