Pecan Pie recipe

Old January 11th 11, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary O'Neill

Default Pecan Pie recipe

My mom was given a bunch of pecans and she wants to make a pie.
The only recipe I tried didn't turn out. We need a tried and true recipe
if anyone has one.

To stay on topic, I'm making my husband a quilt. It's the first one I've
made him, but not the first time I've sewn for him This is the first
quilt I've made in two years. Been ho hum about sewing over that time.
I've only been mending. I feel good about this though and have bought
even more fabric to add to my "To Do" list.

--
Mary O'Neill
Customer Service Rep
Old January 11th 11, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:33:07 -0700, Mary O'Neill wrote:

My mom was given a bunch of pecans and she wants to make a pie. The only
recipe I tried didn't turn out. We need a tried and true recipe if
anyone has one.

To stay on topic, I'm making my husband a quilt. It's the first one I've
made him, but not the first time I've sewn for him This is the first
quilt I've made in two years. Been ho hum about sewing over that time.
I've only been mending. I feel good about this though and have bought
even more fabric to add to my "To Do" list.

Tried and true for a first time pecan pie?
I would recommend buying a bottle of Karo syrup and using the recipe on
the label.
I prefer using dark, other people prefer the light.

If you manage to find a bottle without the recipe, here it is:

http://www.karosyrup.com/recipe_details.asp?id=485

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old January 11th 11, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

On Jan 11, 12:33*pm, Mary O'Neill wrote:
My mom was given a bunch of pecans and she wants to make a pie.
The only recipe I tried didn't turn out. We need a tried and true recipe
if anyone has one.

To stay on topic, I'm making my husband a quilt. It's the first one I've
made him, but not the first time I've sewn for him *This is the first
quilt I've made in two years. *Been ho hum about sewing over that time.
* I've only been mending. *I feel good about this though and have bought
even more fabric to add to my "To Do" list.

--
Mary O'Neill Customer Service Rep
Medical Data Services
nonformulary.com
nohealthinsurance.net

Here's the one I've used for years and it always gets rave reviews:

3 egg lightly beaten with fork or whisk
3/4 dark corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup pecans
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell
3 tablespoons melted butter

Combine eggs and corn syrup, mix well. Add sugar, salt, and vanilla
and stir well. Let stand 5 minutes. Meanwhile spread pecans evenly
on bottom of pie shell. Stir melted butter into syrup mixture and
pour over the pecans, covering each one. The pecans will rise to the
top. Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes until center is firm.

I've never had this recipe fail. It's delicious! Donna
Old January 11th 11, 10:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Thank you, NM, for aiming Mary to the best recipe. I was busy cooking when
her request came in and couldn't leave the stove for long. Now let me add a
few Indian tricks. ( I am authorized to say 'Indian tricks' since I did
indeed learn them from a precious grandmother who was Lakota.)
Here goes: prevent that pie pastry from getting soggy. Preheat the
oven to 350°. Lightly paint the empty pastry with a little beaten egg
white. Place the pie pan on a cookie sheet and pre-bake it for about 5
minutes. This is sort of like coating the pastry with varnish but there is
no good recipe for edible varnish.
If you will mix the eggs and brown sugar together before you mix in
anything else, you can conquer any rocky sugar lumps before they become a
problem.
And finally: If the pie crust is getting too brown, gently sneak a
sheet of aluminum foil over the top of the pie. When cooking time is up,
turn the oven off, open the oven door just a little and let the pie 'set'
there about 15 minutes more.
How you let the pie cool is important. Don't put it on a cold granite
counter. Try to find a QI and draft free place for at least 5 hours. Many
a nice pecan pie has turned to pecan pie soup because it was cooled or cut
in haste. Polly

Old January 12th 11, 12:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary O'Neill

NightMist wrote:
[...]

Thank you NightMist. I'll pass this on to my mom and save it for me in
the future!

Mary O'Neill
Old January 12th 11, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary O'Neill

Thank you Polly for the added suggestions. I'll pass these on to mom
too and save them for me! My first and only pecan pie was edible with a
spoon

Mary O'Neill

Old January 12th 11, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary O'Neill

dealer83 wrote:
[...]

Thank you Donna. These are the recipes that I often look for, tried and
true. I'll pass this along to my mom too. Let her decide which she
wants to try. I'll stash this one away with the others too.

Mary O'Neill
Old January 12th 11, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article ,
Mary O'Neill wrote:

My mom was given a bunch of pecans and she wants to make a pie.
The only recipe I tried didn't turn out. We need a tried and true recipe
if anyone has one.

To stay on topic, I'm making my husband a quilt. It's the first one I've
made him, but not the first time I've sewn for him This is the first
quilt I've made in two years. Been ho hum about sewing over that time.
I've only been mending. I feel good about this though and have bought
even more fabric to add to my "To Do" list.

This is our favorite. It's from Cooks Illustrated magazine.
Unfortunately, there site requires a fee to see the recipe. But,
someone posted a very abbreviated version online

http://www.richphelan.com/recipes/pecanpie.htm

You want to pre-bake the pie shell before starting that's why the recipe
in step three says "warm" because the shell will be warm still by the
time you pour in the filling.

If you like a pretty pie, you can certainly top the pie with whole
pecans after pouring in the filling rather than having all the nuts
chopped.

The heating of the filling is really the secret to a nicely jelled pie
rather than one that runs all over your plate.

marcella
Old January 12th 11, 02:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Well! It appears that there's just nothing to be done but to have a pecan
pie competition. Y'all come. We have 14 pecan trees and should be able to
supply all who want to prove their skill. ( Actually, our annual pecan crop
is about 4 pecans in really good years but we still have plenty ready for a
pie contest.) Polly

Old January 12th 11, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

Polly and all, my husband was asking me what I was doing when I was
typing out my recipe. When I told him, he got this wistful look on
his face, so I knew a pie was in the making. I went out to the
kitchen and made one right then and there. We are lucky enough to get
a big box of pecans every year from our daughter, who lives in the
south. So...pecan pie was tonights dessert and I'm in a sugar
comatose state. A pin would make me pop. It was luscious, firm, not
runny, crunchy toasted pecans on top....now, aren't you all just ready
to make one? Donna