Röhmertopf?

Old November 20th 05, 06:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Röhmertopf?

wrote in message
oups.com...
As a former chef ( now pottery nut and teacher) I found this whole
subject very interesting and thought I might add my 'two peneth' of
knowledge: The idea behind all of these 'oven used' cooking vessels is
that the whole process of cooking is slow, and the effect on the food
might be compared to that of 'heat work' on pots in a kiln. The heat of
the oven will kill most germs (but I can understand peoples'
dislike/distrust of the patina or 'seasoning' that appears on the
cooking vessel); normal cleanliness aplies to these pots as it does
with cast iron, stove top, cooking pans and woks that have 'seasoning',
if in doubt slowly heat the pots (empty and dry) in the oven when using
the oven to do a high temp roast! Low temperature glazes will not make
the vessels more hygenic to use as eventualy all such glazes will have
some (albeit microscopic) crazing which can harbour debree/dirt, more
so than if left unglazed.
This method of cooking does add something to the flavour and texture of
the food; it used to be a great way to cook mutton (a tough but
flavoursome meat) but it's rare to find mutton anymore as most
suppliers sell only year old lamb.
Sincere apologies to any vegetarian readers!

In New Zealand you can still get mutton and hogget regularly. It does have
more flavour. One of our supermarkets sells goat which benifits from long
slow cooking too )

Old November 20th 05, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Hi all, I think that slow cooking would work just as well with the tin
foil option, but as Xtra News mentions there are subtle differences;
(apologies if this next bit sounds a bit gross) the porous nature of
these pots means that, with fatty foods such as mutton and goat, some
of the unwanted fat is taken up by the pot.
I havn't had goat for ages, the last time was when an African friend
made me a goat curry, delicious!

My mother tells me that during WW2 it was not unknown for people to
build slow cookers using a crate and bails of straw, I think that once
well heated the pot was placed in the straw and allowed to continue
cooking on the residual heat!

Old November 20th 05, 06:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

In article .com,
plodder writes
Hi all, I think that slow cooking would work just as well with the tin
foil option, but as Xtra News mentions there are subtle differences;
(apologies if this next bit sounds a bit gross) the porous nature of
these pots means that, with fatty foods such as mutton and goat, some
of the unwanted fat is taken up by the pot.
I havn't had goat for ages, the last time was when an African friend
made me a goat curry, delicious!

My mother tells me that during WW2 it was not unknown for people to
build slow cookers using a crate and bails of straw, I think that once
well heated the pot was placed in the straw and allowed to continue
cooking on the residual heat!

As a matter of interest I have a book dating from the wartime/post-war
period which contains details of the straw oven and various other
traditional/scarcely old-fashioned tips and wrinkles.

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old November 20th 05, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Xtra News" wrote in message

"Bubbles" wrote in message
Interesting that you say unglazed is better than glazed, since crazing
actually seems to retain bacteria better than unglazed pottery.

Also, I am wondering if the slow-cooking can just as well be done in a
normal open "pot" with aluminium foil over it at a lower heat? The
benefits of cooking over time are great, that I know. But need we
insulate the food with a röhmertopf in order to get the same effect as
simply lowering the temperature and waiting an hour extra?

My topf is still leatherhard and it can go either way - keep wet, finish
and fire - or wet thoroughly and recycle. I would appreciate your input
on the usefulness of this pot - as compared to the power usage, heavy
cleaning job and storage space required.

Thanks!

Marianne

Apparently the shape of the Rohmertopf makes the steam circulate
differently which creates more tender moist food.

Ah bugger, I meant to say the shape of the tagine, with the cone )

Old November 20th 05, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Steve Mills" wrote in message

As a matter of interest I have a book dating from the wartime/post-war
period which contains details of the straw oven and various other
traditional/scarcely old-fashioned tips and wrinkles.

--
Steve Mills
Bath
UK

When doing my search for fireclay to use on the stove top I came across how
to make brick for a stove that was really rather neat. The brick is made
with half clay and have sawdust (actually that was one of many recipes). I
had remember reading about using this mixture for building kilns as well.
So much to play with... so little time...

Donna

http://www.repp.org/discussiongroups...e/vcstove.html

Old November 21st 05, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Xtra News" wrote in message

Apparently the shape of the Rohmertopf makes the steam circulate
differently which creates more tender moist food.

Ah bugger, I meant to say the shape of the tagine, with the cone )

All the ones I saw on the net had the cone on. I am supposing it is about
the same shape inside?

Marianne