Slide Pendant

Old September 5th 03, 11:51 PM
Jalynne

ROFL, Kathy....those bits of paper are fun to play with, specially when combined with
beads...just you wait to see what i come up with next. I was supposed to make some
stuff today, but i'm having a bad pain day, so stuck in bed hand sewing. Tomorrow,
perhaps, i'll be able to sit at the table.
--
Jalynne

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 14:45:25 -0400, Helen C wrote
(in message 9R46b.366200$Ho3.54581@sccrnsc03):

You're not THAT far away. 20 miles? Nothing. Beyond walking distance so
if that's a problem...... We drive up there from Albany (a little over an
hour depending on traffic) so coming from Portland would be a cake walk.
But, this is coming from someone who LOVES to drive.

I have to set you Portlandians up with my SIL. She's a sweetie, loves kids,
loves to drive, and was recently laid off. Her only fault is that she finds
beading to be boring. But we're even: I couldn't scrapbook for the life of
me. All those little bits of paper -- ugh.

If you guys are interested in making a new friend (she starts out shy, but is
a total sweetie), write me off list.

Kathy N-V

Old September 6th 03, 02:38 AM
Helen Page

Deirdre S. wrote:
It *is* expensive. And melts at a higher temp. Go for the lead-free
for something like the slides, I'd say.

I had a thought about soldering without burning yourself, tho -- Do
you spoze the slide-sandwich would fit between the blades of a
computer-type heat-sink -- you know, the ones with sticky-up fins? and
do you think the heatsink would then draw the heat away from the glass
and dissipate it quicker? Plus being conveniently the right shape to
support the glass while you work on it?

If I were back in my old stomping grounds, I'd go straight to Axman
and get one to experiment with -- cheap. But here in Portland, I have
no idea where to go for cheap electronics-type surplus. And I am too
cheap to pay postage from Sci&Surp at the moment.

Try ebuyer.com for these, it's where we get our computer bits. Like
QuickFind code: 60680 (assuming the fan part detaches ok) $10.25 with free
shipping. QuickFind Code: 78266 ($7.63) and QuickFind Code: 36221 ($8.75)
say heatsink but don't have pics to check.

I could have a look and see if we have a spare one lying about, and weigh it
to see how much it would cost to post... LMK...

--
Free sweets: http://www.winsweets.co.uk/?ref=hummingbird

Old September 6th 03, 05:16 PM
Deirdre S.

No, I used to go 50 miles from where I lived in Minneapolis to visit a
town with two good bead stores within easy walking distance of each
other (Northfield).

I just had the mistaken idea that it was much further away than 20
miles. I said I was geographically impaired, and wasn't kidding.

Deirdre

On 06 Sep 2003 00:55:30 GMT, uppies (Dr. Sooz)
wrote:

You're not THAT far away. 20 miles?

20 miles is nothing. (Maybe 20 miles is farther in Minneapolis?)
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old September 6th 03, 05:32 PM
Deirdre S.

Thanks for the offer, but I suspect if I put my information nets out,
or drive to Wilsonville ... I'll be able to look and pick up, which is
useful when you are using something for a purpose for which it wasn't
actually intended.

I want to see how high the fins go, for example, to be sure I could
get at the edge of the slide pendant above them, if it was resting
between the fins on its side.

Deirdre

Old September 6th 03, 09:02 PM
Helen C

Just plan a good block of time to do it in. That store is HUGE!! And a lot
of computer tools can also be used for beadwork G And those little
storage compartment/tool boxes. Every time I go there, I usually see way
more I want then I can afford (I would REALLY like my own computer)

Later,

Helen C

Old September 7th 03, 09:25 PM
Deirdre S.

If I get there, I'll give a report on what kinds of bead-adaptable
stuff I turn up. Thanks again for the recommendations, everyone.

Deirdre

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:02:50 GMT, "Helen C"
wrote:

Just plan a good block of time to do it in. That store is HUGE!! And a lot
of computer tools can also be used for beadwork G And those little
storage compartment/tool boxes. Every time I go there, I usually see way
more I want then I can afford (I would REALLY like my own computer)

Later,

Helen C

.. .

Old September 7th 03, 09:45 PM
Kandice Seeber

This is my husband's favorite store in the whole world. He still looks at
the ads when we go to Portland.

One caveat - some of the stuff at Fry's is refurbished, so be careful of
that. Also, some of their customer service people are no knowledgeable at
all, so know your stuff when buying.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

] But here in Portland, I have
]no idea where to go for cheap electronics-type surplus. And I am too
]cheap to pay postage from Sci&Surp at the moment.

Fry's Electronics
WILSONVILLE, OR
29400 SW Towncenter Loop West
(503) 570-6000
FAX (503) 570-6018

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
-----------
It's not what you take, when you leave this world behind you;
it's what you leave behind you when you go. -- Randy Travis

Old September 8th 03, 01:16 AM
Jalynne

I'll have to agree with that. And I grew up in the SF bay area, where San Jose is a
zoo, as well as SF itself. I'll have to say, Tacoma and Seattle traffic is "only a
little crowded" compared to Portland and the SF area.
--
Jalynne

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Kathy N-V
:

]Wuss. I had heard that plenty of times, but this Boston driver found it to
]be a piece of cake. A little crowded, but certainly nothing horrible.

then you haven't been on I-5 in Portland at 4:30 on Friday night.

-----------

Old September 8th 03, 03:05 AM
Kandice Seeber

Exactly.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old September 8th 03, 03:08 AM
Kandice Seeber

The I-5 corridor is really bad during rush hour because you have all the
city locals driving and then you have all the semi trucks and travelers
because the freeway is the only main way from Canada to Mexico through
Washington, Oregon and CA. So on Friday nights you have all three of them
trying to get where they are going all at once. It sucks.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

And don't drive there during any kind of rush hour whatsoever - I-5 is

hell
during rush hour.

Wuss. I had heard that plenty of times, but this Boston driver found it

be a piece of cake. A little crowded, but certainly nothing horrible.

Traffic Jam Story: The Southeast Expressway through Boston is legendary

for
its hideous traffic jams, which can make the 6 miles from my house to
Downtown Boston last three hours. I normally use public transportation,

but
there are some places where you simply have to drive.

One day, I was stuck in a terrific traffic jam; the kind where you turn

off
the engine and just listen to the radio, because there's no sense

overheating
the car or burning a tank of gas going nowhere. All of a sudden I heard
horns and hooting and yelling from the drivers in the car around me. I
quickly looked up to see what was causing the excitement.

A very fashionably dressed woman had decided that she wasn't going to make

it
to the next exit, so she got out of the car, pulled down her slacks and
relieved herself right there in the street. She then looked around at all
the surrounding drivers, acknowledged their catcalls with a little wave,

and
got back in her car with all the dignity in the world.

Me? I probably would have whizzed in my car before I did that.

Kathy N-V

And then there was the time I nearly crashed into a Porta-potty, sitting

in
the middle lane of the South Station tunnel. Not exactly what you'd

expect,
but it would have been a handy thing for that lady.

Microscope Slide Pendants - huh? mªdcªt Beads 41 February 17th 04 06:56 PM
Slide Pendant (Yay!) Charlie Beads 32 September 9th 03 03:46 AM
AD: Floral Fantasy Garden Pendant CrystalLuv Beads 0 September 4th 03 06:32 PM
AD: 8/22 Aurora Auction, Bali, and ICHTHYS Pendant at eBay Marilee J. Layman Beads 0 August 22nd 03 09:13 PM
More Microscope Slide Pendant Questions :-) Dr. Sooz Beads 2 August 4th 03 08:09 PM