Slide Pendant (Yay!)

Old September 3rd 03, 06:12 PM
Shirley Shone

That is very pretty and elegant.
Shirley

In article , Charlie
writes
I know this is a beads group, but I think these are kind of beads, after all
you thread them the same onto a necklace! Anyway, this wasn't my first, but
it was my first flowery one. The other few I've done have been pictures and
I'll have pictures soon.

The actual picture quality is terrible, I have no idea what the pink lines
are, the scanner never used to do that!

Anyway, heres the link, I'd love some feedback before it maybe goes on
ebay.co.uk.

http://www.lowfidelity.org.uk/flower_slide_pendant.jpg

Charlie.

--
Shirley Shone

Old September 3rd 03, 06:58 PM
Tink

I think 1"x1" would be cool for earrings. And I'm not a big earring person.

I did try a clamp that broke the glass, so I'm looking for other solutions.
My ex is going to a large hamfest this weekend, and I think I'll have him
search for a third hand for me. Thanks for reminding me!

Oh, and I dried a bunch of violets and other teensy flowers from my yard a
few weeks ago. I used the crystals to do it, and they turned out great.
Problem is, for those that I didn't use right away, even being kept in a
Tupperware type container didn't keep them from rehydrating in this
humidity. Maybe if I throw one of those little desiccant packets in the
container with them it will help.

--

Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Sign Up Now For Fall Workshops!
Hollows, Vessels & Florals...

"Charlie" wrote in message
Up till now I've been using a hobby clamp (a small version of a D clamp).

have though just been given a mini vice that fastens to the table so I'll

be
trying that out when it's cleaned up. Apparently you can get things

called
"third hands" but from pics I've seen they didn't look sturdy enough.

So you think 1x1" slides would be too big for earrings? I want to make a
set of necklace, bracelet and earrings.

Charlie.

"Tink" wrote in message
How do you hold them when you're soldering? I was going to try to vise

of
some sort, but held them in my fingers instead. Ow. Big ow. Part of the
problem for me, I think, is that I'm cutting the glass slides in half to
make smaller pendants. I really need to take a pic or two of what I've

been
making.

--

Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Sign Up Now For Fall Workshops!
Hollows, Vessels & Florals...

"Charlie" wrote in message
Hell yeah! My mums already commisioned me to do a set of similar

coasters
with an old photo of my aunt in for my aunts birthday! How cool is

that?
It's such a simple idea too. I'm still perfecting my techniqie but

I'm
getting better all the time. I've also arranged to it in on a family
friends workshop where he does stained glass, so I can perfect my

soldering
technique. If I'm honest, I can see this making a little money for

me!

Charlie.

"Tink" wrote in message
I love it, Charlie! Aren't those fun???

--

"Charlie" wrote in message
[...]

Get yourself a new pet!
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=ma_shihui

Old September 3rd 03, 07:03 PM
Charlie

Mine clamps got large ends to the screw bit, about 1cm square (circular) and
I only did it tight enough to hold it. Maybe you over tightened it?

Charlie.

Old September 3rd 03, 08:40 PM
CLP

Charlie I love this! They must be great fun to make. (The pattern from your
scanner is probably a moire pattern caused by incorrect resolution setting.)

--
It could work.

Live and be well,
Christy

Old September 3rd 03, 08:46 PM
Deirdre S.

I see the question is still in the realm of the theoretical.

I actually own a 'third hand', and if I get a chance to experiment,
you can expect a report.

Otherwise, how abut propping the 'sandwich' so the edge you are
working on protrudes up above the table, by putting it between two
low, but heavy objects... or routing a groove in a piece of wood just
wide and deep enough to support the slides?

Deirdre

Old September 3rd 03, 08:48 PM
Deirdre S.

Is it lying flat, or on edge when you do this?

Deirdre

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 12:34:46 -0400, "Barbara Forbes-Lyons"
wrote:

As things are tacked
together, remove the straight pins and continue the finish soldering.

Old September 3rd 03, 09:11 PM
Deirdre S.

How about dipping the business ends of the clips in Tool Magic?

Deirdre

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 21:05:55 +0100, "Charlie"
wrote:

I saw them online somewhere and I just think the other problem might be the
crocodile clips damaging the glass or solder. I think I'll stick to the
clamp / vice setup.

Charlie.

.. .

Old September 3rd 03, 09:20 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

for stained glass, laying flat. haven't tried it with slides yet.

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax