A Question Regarding Stranding / A Bit of OT!

Old November 20th 03, 06:14 PM
Brian D

Default A Question Regarding Stranding / A Bit of OT!

Hi everyone:

Wheww at last I am back online and able to read the posts here. My 16 yr old
had the wonderful idea of disconnecting something at the back of our
computer (please don't ask for details lol) and while completing that task,
let the cpu slip about 3 inches off of our computer desk....grrrrrrr! And
you guessed it, he heard a noise and when we turned our computer
on....nothing but a beeping noise. Turned out to be something that came
loose and wasn't a major problem....thank goodness.
On to my question about stranding......
How many stitches do you leave before stranding the different colours? I am
leaving it at 3 stitches for the most part but have looked back on my work
now and wonder if 2 would have looked better on the inside. Or, is it
possible that if I stranded over 2 stitches I may have run into it being a
bit tight and in turn puckering? I did these fairisle type sweaters non-stop
for my other 2 kids but have totally forgotten some of the trade secrets to
having them turn out perfectly! No doubt I'll have another question to post
once i get to the grafting under the arms lol!

Donna from Ontario, Canada
Who is enjoying a very sunny and fairly mild day today....yahoooo!

Old November 22nd 03, 12:41 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:14:03 -0500, Brian D wrote:

[...]

Welcome back, Donna!
I am hopelessly LOST with your question, as I haven't done any fairisle
since testing for TKGA over 28 years ago! *someone* will come through, am
sure!
Hugs,
Noreen

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.
Old November 22nd 03, 01:08 PM
SlinkyToy

wrote:

How many stitches do you leave before stranding the different colours? I am
leaving it at 3 stitches for the most part but have looked back on my work
now and wonder if 2 would have looked better on the inside. Or, is it
possible that if I stranded over 2 stitches I may have run into it being a
bit tight and in turn puckering? I did these fairisle type sweaters non-stop
for my other 2 kids but have totally forgotten some of the trade secrets to
having them turn out perfectly! No doubt I'll have another question to post
once i get to the grafting under the arms lol!

I think you're really asking how long you can FLOAT a color before you
need to TWIST it to prevent an overly long float.

I've been known to make floats as long as 7 stitches in a hat, but no
more. If I've got a 9st or more float coming I twist the unused color
twice on the float.

In sweaters and gloves I wouldn't carry a float for more than 4
stitches without a twist.

Now it is true that wool yarns will eventually mat down and the floats
won't pose the snag hazard they do when fresh, but I just don't want
to risk it...
Old November 22nd 03, 01:28 PM
Sonya Cirillo

Hi Donna!

Well 'technically' most will say float no more than 5 stitches - I
always preferred 2-3 (depending on yarn weight) - then I found a book
called "Fair Isle Simplified" which uses a method of working with a
color 'in' each hand and the carry question is taken care of because the
method incorporates the 'carry'.

Well darn - I had seen the technic on-line, then saw the book at the
library and finally found it on sale and now own it, but darn if I can
find the on-line directions again (been a while). . .

Anyway the book is: "Fair Isle Sweaters Simplified" by Ann and Eugeen
Bourgeois, Fiber Studio Press, ISBN 1-56477-311-6
http://www.philosopherswool.com/ there is a video clip under
Books/Videos which might show the technic - I didn't take the time to
download and look. . . soooooo you might check and see if your library
happens to have this book. . . even without the two-handed technic there
are some inspiring patterns in there!

Sorry - more than you wanted, I'm sure

Sonya

Brian D wrote:
Hi everyone:

snip

Old November 22nd 03, 04:03 PM
Aud

I float max 3 stitches (in very spesial cases: 5 st.) before twisting. That
is what I learnes from my mother, and that works OK with me!
AUD ;-)
--

"Brian D" skrev i melding

Old November 22nd 03, 06:32 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Donna,

I agree with Aud, my mom told me no more than 3 before twisting and it always
laid down flat.

Hugs,

Nora who is also having a warm sunny day.
Old November 22nd 03, 06:39 PM
Els van Dam

In article , SlinkyToy
wrote:

I would think that that is a "try it out" thing. btw (Standing is
twisting the threads even when you are not changing the colours, to avoid
long loops on the wrong side of your knitting).

I would indeed knit no more than three st and do a twist of yarns. Try
not to do it to tightly and you should be fine with your tension.

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old November 22nd 03, 06:42 PM
Els van Dam

In article , Sonya Cirillo
wrote:

Donna stranding and weaving is also shown in "Readers Digest Complete
Guide to Needlework". I bought this book at a book sale for a dollar. It
is full with great instructions.

Els

[...]

Brian D wrote:
Hi everyone:

snip

Old November 22nd 03, 06:44 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Aud"
wrote:

I float max 3 stitches (in very spesial cases: 5 st.) before twisting. That
is what I learnes from my mother, and that works OK with me!
AUD ;-)

Aud, I guess it also has to do with the thickness of the yarn you are
knitting with, fine yarn small stitches longer floats....

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old November 22nd 03, 07:25 PM
Aud

Yes, Els!
You are right!