Home from Houston

Old November 7th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

Default Home from Houston

Whew! I wasn't sure my friends and I would make it today, since lots of
rain was predicted, but we did! I'm exhausted and really glad to have
had the chance to go to Houston once again. It was a terrific show, but
what else is new? G I've come home to a couple of thousand messages,
so I've had to mark them all read and start fresh. G

It was wonderful to see old friends -- mostly the ones I'd met on my
very first Houston trip (Pat, Kathy, Wendy, Nancie), and it was great to
put new faces to names. Our group dinner at Josephine's was non-stop
talking (how did we manage to eat???) and loads of fun. I'm sorry I was
unable to make it to the Saturday lunch, but things happen.

Serendipity meant that I did get to see Tina on Saturday afternoon, and
I also saw Diana (from Dallas) on Thursday as she was "quilt angel-ing"
the grand prize quilt.

Breakfast and part of the morning on Saturday with Pat was wonderful;
she's a wonderful person, and I love getting the chance to see her
again. I love her new hat, too. G

I finally managed a class with Carol Doak, after four or five years of
trying -- and it was *so* worth the wait. G Carol knew I was staying
through Sunday, so she asked me to submit my block for the teacher
display, where they show the projects students are making from the
classes. I figured it was my one and only chance to have my work on
display in Houston.

I didn't buy as much as some -- more than others, though. I found one
booth with scrumptious FQs, so I bought half a dozen in blues and
yellows for my quilted diamonds. I also found some quilting stencils my
DT wants, as well as a few books (doesn't everyone buy books?) for
myself and a couple of patterns. Pat, your friend Cindi is *so* nice! I
bought one pattern at her booth to try out, and I did tell her you and I
were friends. G

Let's see -- what else? Oh, yes. I attended a couple of lectures. One
was on EQ (5 and a bit of 6), which also happened to be where I ran into
Nancie for the first time this year. G BTW, it looks like EQ6 will
work on the new Intel Macs, though this isn't official; it's just that
some beta testers are having good luck with it. I'm going to order my
upgrade in a day or two.

I'm *tired*! See you all tomorrow. G
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old November 7th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancie Roach

I echo Sandy's sentiments. The most special thing about Houston for me is
getting together with old friends and meeting new ones. Right after that
come those awesome quilts and the plethora of vendors. Both my pocketbook
and feet are feeling the aftereffects, but wasn't it wonderful!

I haven't posted in forever, but retirement is finally within view and just
perhaps I'll be able to drop in from time to time. Howdy to all the
old-timers, and Hi Y'all to the newcomers. I look forward to visiting once
again.

--
Nancie R.
Houston, TX

Old November 7th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article et,
"Nancie Roach" wrote:

I echo Sandy's sentiments. The most special thing about Houston for me is
getting together with old friends and meeting new ones. Right after that
come those awesome quilts and the plethora of vendors. Both my pocketbook
and feet are feeling the aftereffects, but wasn't it wonderful!

YES!!!!!!!

I haven't posted in forever, but retirement is finally within view and just
perhaps I'll be able to drop in from time to time. Howdy to all the
old-timers, and Hi Y'all to the newcomers. I look forward to visiting once
again.

Nancie, it's *so* good to see you here again! Running into you once a
year in Houston just isn't enough. G How long before you get to
retire?

--
Nancie R.
Houston, TX

Old November 7th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Yee-Haw! Glad to see you here, Nancie.

Didn't get a chance to check back at the show, so, please, do tell:
what'd you get at the show? Please include details of color and
yardage; I have your address. (EvilChuckle)

Ragmop/Sandy

On 11/7/06 9:07 AM, in article
t, "Nancie Roach"

Old November 7th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancie Roach

Would you believe that I bought not one scrap of fabric? I have somehow
accumulated so much that I can no longer fit it all into the storage
containers my husband built shelving for. And then I have another 12
plastic drawers full plus a couple of suitcases and two more boxes. I'm
trying to either use up some of this, or at least weed out the stuff I'm not
going to use and give it to some of my newbie quilting friends. The
situation wasn't helped by the fact that I've started hand dyeing my own
fabrics. They really build up but it's such great fun.

That's not to say that I didn't spend money -- I certain did. But mostly I
purchased books (5 of them), and thread (24 spools of Aurifil), and beads
($50+) and Thimblelady thimble and DVD (plastic, not silver), and sequins
and marking pencils and Ultrasuede, and the list goes on and on.

Retirement date is December 31. I'm going to visit my daughter and
grandsons in Oregon in January, then back home to finish up some of those
old projects.

--
Nancie R.
Houston, TX

Old November 8th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

My friend and I had a good time too and we certainly got in lots of
walking! We only ran into a very few people we knew...three for me and
a couple for her and no one from this group. We hunted both Friday and
Saturday for everyone but struck out both days. Ditched by the cool
people once again ;-)

Thursday I took an afternoon class from Donna Poster and that woman is
filled with funny stories. We had fun.

Saturday we took an all day machine quilting class with Robbie Joy
Eklow. She knows how to machine quilt but not so much on the nice
conversation. Her opening was "I cannot control the tone of my voice so
it's up to you to not get offended" sigh. The afternoon she commented
that she was in her "afternoon crabby mood" and one lady near me
murmured "then what was the morning mood called?" We did have fun and
learn a lot but she was a bit off putting and I noticed a few missing
people after lunch.

My favorite quilt was the applique one by Liuxin Newman...the quilt must
be 12 inches square which made her little leaves 1/4" or so. My friend
buzzed past it and I grabbed her arm and said "that's hand applique"
she said "oh, I thought it had to be machine embroidery" It was that
perfect.

I didn't shop much at all until the last day when I managed to order a
sewing table ;-) It will be nice to finally have my sewing machine down
in a table and even with the surface.

Currently, I'm taking a QU class on Hawaiian applique with Nancy Lee
Chong (highly recommended!) and I did get a short visit with her at the
show. Fun to talk to my teacher in person!

After a much delayed flight, broken plane seats, a fight that broke out
on a plane and then being squished by a very large women with intestinal
difficulties (pew!) it is very nice to be home!

marcella

Old November 8th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

My friend and I had a good time too and we certainly got in lots of
walking! We only ran into a very few people we knew...three for me and
a couple for her and no one from this group. We hunted both Friday and
Saturday for everyone but struck out both days. Ditched by the cool
people once again ;-)

I didn't run into many from this group, Marcella, but I did run into a
few I knew from home. G I'd have loved to have run into you!

Thursday I took an afternoon class from Donna Poster and that woman is
filled with funny stories. We had fun.

Wonderful!

Saturday we took an all day machine quilting class with Robbie Joy
Eklow. She knows how to machine quilt but not so much on the nice
conversation. Her opening was "I cannot control the tone of my voice so
it's up to you to not get offended" sigh. The afternoon she commented
that she was in her "afternoon crabby mood" and one lady near me
murmured "then what was the morning mood called?" We did have fun and
learn a lot but she was a bit off putting and I noticed a few missing
people after lunch.

Oh dear! How discouraging! I hope you wrote about this in your class
evaluation -- I suspect that if enough people did that, she'd learn that
she's the *only* one who can control the tone of her voice.

My favorite quilt was the applique one by Liuxin Newman...the quilt must
be 12 inches square which made her little leaves 1/4" or so. My friend
buzzed past it and I grabbed her arm and said "that's hand applique"
she said "oh, I thought it had to be machine embroidery" It was that
perfect.

Did you see the Japanese quilt in shades of taupe with the wheat theme?
I was blown away by that one!

I didn't shop much at all until the last day when I managed to order a
sewing table ;-) It will be nice to finally have my sewing machine down
in a table and even with the surface.

Oh, that sounds lovely! Which table did you choose?

Currently, I'm taking a QU class on Hawaiian applique with Nancy Lee
Chong (highly recommended!) and I did get a short visit with her at the
show. Fun to talk to my teacher in person!

I had a celtic appliqué class from her at camp one year -- she's very
good!

After a much delayed flight, broken plane seats, a fight that broke out
on a plane and then being squished by a very large women with intestinal
difficulties (pew!) it is very nice to be home!

Yikes! I'll bet. What airline was that with the broken seats -- I hope
you didn't get one of them! And what was done about the people who were
fighting? I live in fear of being squished by a very large person on a
flight, but adding in the intestinal difficulties seems to me to be
cruel and unusual punishment.

Old November 8th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article . net,
"Nancie Roach" wrote:

That's not to say that I didn't spend money -- I certain did. But mostly I
purchased books (5 of them), and thread (24 spools of Aurifil), and beads
($50+) and Thimblelady thimble and DVD (plastic, not silver), and sequins
and marking pencils and Ultrasuede, and the list goes on and on.

Gosh, Nancie, I wish I'd known you wanted the Thimblelady DVD; I'd have
given it to you! It's very good, but it's just not for me. I also have
one of her thimbles (silver), so if you need that particular size, let
me know. And *24* spools of Aurifil? Wow! I should have done that! LOL!

Retirement date is December 31. I'm going to visit my daughter and
grandsons in Oregon in January, then back home to finish up some of those
old projects.

Congratulations! Retirement is wonderful, and we'll hope you'll have
some time to check in here now and then.

Old November 8th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article ,
Sandy Foster wrote:

I didn't run into many from this group, Marcella, but I did run into a
few I knew from home. G I'd have loved to have run into you!

I had my eye out for both you and Jeanne (the only two I'd recognize)
but no luck. It was just so big and there were so many people.

I hope you wrote about this in your class
evaluation -- I suspect that if enough people did that, she'd learn that
she's the *only* one who can control the tone of her voice.

I did as did my friend. Hopefully others did too. My friends thought
was that she had received comments before about her sarcasm/rude
comments and rather than change her style for teaching just puts it on
the students to not get offended. Sad because she really is one heck of
a quilter.

Did you see the Japanese quilt in shades of taupe with the wheat theme?
I was blown away by that one!

Yes, that was lovely. It amazed me that the wheat wasn't braided fabric
but individual little pieces. wow.

Oh, that sounds lovely! Which table did you choose?

A Sylvia table. It's a large rectangle. I had never bought a table
because when opened they always have a cut out in the upper left
section. For quilting that would pose a problem as a larger quilt could
fall through the hole and pull. I didn't want to spend a lot of money
on a table and then have to buy or make something to fill in the hole
too. This company has tables designed by a quilter so they had several
styles that folded out into full rectangles...no holes.

Fortunately, my seat was fine but the two people in front of me were in
permanent recline - not very comfortable for them. They weren't the
only ones either...there were quite a few broken seats and I swear they
were all told at least a dozen times to "put your seat in the full
upright position" They were getting pretty tired of hearing that and
then having to remind the steward that their seat was broken. And,
every time the steward would pull their seat up like the person was
clueless.

The fight on the plane was quite amazing. A man started yelling and
swearing because the lady behind him had been kicking his seat
continually and the tray went up and down many times. The final time
she put it up and bounced him he just exploded. Then she was yelling
and swearing back and her husband leaned forward and said something and
the man started swatting at him over his head and the husband was
swatting back. I think the attendants were all hiding in the back
because they wouldn't answer the call button and there was no way you
couldn't hear it...all the passengers were sure watching! Where's that
air marshall when you need 'em? They did finally move the couple. Said
couple was on the airport shuttle to the parking lot with me. She sat
with her legs outstretched and bouncing and tripped someone boarding the
bus but she and her husband chatted the whole way about the crazy man.
I think they were all crazy.

Last time I fly Continental...I took United in but couldn't get a flight
with them home.

marcella
Old November 9th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

A Sylvia table. It's a large rectangle. I had never bought a table
because when opened they always have a cut out in the upper left
section. For quilting that would pose a problem as a larger quilt could
fall through the hole and pull. I didn't want to spend a lot of money
on a table and then have to buy or make something to fill in the hole
too. This company has tables designed by a quilter so they had several
styles that folded out into full rectangles...no holes.

Wonderful! I'll keep that name in mind in case I ever get to buy a
"real" table. G

she and her husband chatted the whole way about the crazy man.
I think they were all crazy.

Last time I fly Continental...I took United in but couldn't get a flight
with them home.

marcella

I don't blame you. It sounds awful -- and there's no excuse at all for
attendants to be ignoring a fight on board. Especially these days!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Work at home positions available worldwide [email protected] Beads 0 April 25th 06 05:28 AM
Work at home positions available worldwide [email protected] General Crafting 0 April 25th 06 05:23 AM
Yeah! DH is home - yes is this On topic Jenn in CA Quilting 7 April 4th 06 03:13 AM
I'm Home!!! Debbi Quilting 1 April 8th 04 02:48 AM
She's Home!!! mkahogan Beads 4 August 7th 03 05:47 PM