Janome New Home Combi 10 Overlocker/Serger

Old April 13th 08, 03:45 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,uk.rec.crafts.sewing
Tim Steele

Default Janome New Home Combi 10 Overlocker/Serger

I was cleaning up my old sewing machine today having not used it for a while
and discovered something odd about the overlocker.

It's a while since I used it for overlocking and I had some difficulty
inserting a needle. I found that the tip of the needle brushes against the
looper tip when the machine is operating - that can't be right, surely?

I've found an adjustment for needle height but if I back the needle off so it's
higher and doesn't contact the looper tip then it doesn't make stitches because
the looper misses the thread underneath. So I've put it back where it was. It
does successfully produce overlocking, with no unusual noise in operation, but
I feel slightly uncomfortable cranking the machine through and watching the
looper deflect the needle as it goes by.

Perhaps this is normal? I have checked the needle is straight.

Tim
Old April 13th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,uk.rec.crafts.sewing,alt.sewing
Wayne Hines

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:45:02 UTC, Tim Steele
wrote:

I was cleaning up my old sewing machine today having not used it for a while
and discovered something odd about the overlocker.

It's a while since I used it for overlocking and I had some difficulty
inserting a needle. I found that the tip of the needle brushes against the
looper tip when the machine is operating - that can't be right, surely?

It's not unusual for the tip of the lower looper to brush the needle as
the looper moves to the left. However, if the looper is striking the
needle as it moves to the right, that could cause trouble. Also, the
upper looper on some machines will deflect the needles as it moves to
the right.

If the needle is striking the looper as the needle moves down something
needs to be adjusted.

gwh

Differential feed on a serger / overlocker ? Andy Dingley Sewing 5 February 19th 05 01:10 PM
Janome Serger 634D pami Quilting 2 November 28th 04 04:12 AM
Overlocker/Serger Ophelia Yarn 23 May 7th 04 08:27 AM
Serger Progect Book. 56 Great serger ideas! madhatress Marketplace 0 July 31st 03 01:48 AM