"An industry unraveling"

Old December 31st 04, 06:00 PM

Default "An industry unraveling"

An industry unraveling
Special Report: Foreign competition has been creeping up on U.S.
companies that spin yarn, weave fabric and sew clothing. The industry
has adjusted by consolidating, scaling back U.S. operations and
refocusing overseas.
at http://www.washtimes.com/specialrepo...2308-9087r.htm

Old December 31st 04, 06:23 PM

You're just noticing this? It's been happening since the 1940s. So
long as people in other countries are willing to work for 50 cents a
day, textile industry jobs will be shipped to other countries. The
only solution I see is to put tariffs on imports to this country, to
make them comparable in price to U.S. made things.

U.S. made goods are superior in most cases to items made in other
countries; however, we expect to be paid a just salary.

Teri

Old December 31st 04, 09:30 PM
Karen Maslowski

But as of January 1st, all quotas for importing clothing into the US
will be gone. These quotas at least held the imports down to some
degree; without them, the floodgates will open. I wonder at the
rationale (if any) of this measure. It sure seems to be the wrong way to
go, if one is truly interested in keeping businesses in the US from
going offshore.

Shaking head,
Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old January 1st 05, 12:59 AM
bckwrds

sometimes the only "cure" for outsourcing is to let the outsourcing
occur. Sure, it pains the USA pocket book for a time, but then
after the other countries who are still living in poverty will come
out of the third world state-of-being and become educated and
start making demands on their own. People from all over the
world still come to America for not only education but for
opportunity. Why? Because it still IS a land of great opportunity
and offers the best education in the world. If some of this
opportunity was available in their own country then perhaps they
still wouldn't flood into the USA. I would like to think that most
people would like to stay and live in their homeland....but just
about all parents want more for their children....so they ship them
off to the land-of-opportunity.

Time WILL cure this problem. Wealth will be spread thru out
the world in a more evenly fashion. Education will be there for
those who want it. Growth almost always equals pain....and
there's going to be a lot of grummling about it. But once this
equality occurs, companies/corporation and the people will
have a level playing field.

Yes, you can say I'm a dreamer......

Old January 1st 05, 02:47 AM

But at the same time, I see a very disturbing trend in the U.S. I have
had hundreds of students, and I can count on my fingers the ones who
had ambition and talent, and worked towards a goal. Too many students
graduated, thinking that a degree would get them a high-paying job,
even though they had no particular skill in any direction. My students
got jobs, but they had to work to get the jobs they truly wanted.
Those with business degrees and liberal arts degrees, found(find) the
going rough.

I can't help but think of New Harmony, Indiana. This is a town that
was founded by a religious group in the early nineteenth century. The
town was totally self-sufficient, from gardening/farming to shoemaking.
They even figured out how to grow lemons in a climate not suited for
them. The town became famous, and a group of elitists decided to buy
it. The Harmonions, as they called themselves, knew that they could
found another town, so were open to the purchase.

The town failed within a year, because everyone wanted to be boss, and
no one wanted to do the work required to keep the town running. This
was in the 1830s, I believe. It's now a tourist attraction, and has
been restored to its original condition.

Whenever I hear a young person say, "I want to be somebody," it's
difficult for me to stay off the soapbox and tell them they have to
work for what they want!

Teri

Old January 1st 05, 07:28 AM
Max Penn

"bckwrds" wrote in message
[...]

During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the economist Lord Keynes
mentioned the day when everybody would be rich might not be far off. "But
beware," he said. "The time for all this is not yet. For at least another
hundred years, we must pretend to ourselves and to every one that fair is
foul and foul is fair; for foul is useful and fair is not. Avarice and usury
and precaution must be our gods for a little longer still."

Old January 1st 05, 09:52 PM
Pogonip

melinda wrote:

Clothes for my DS only last a season 'cause he grows out of them.
The joy of have an 18 month old in the house!

Yes, but with families passing clothes around, and with
the great ones in thrift stores, this is an easy time.

Trouble starts in the teenage years when style and color
start to matter more. My solution to that was to put the
girls on clothing allowances. It was their choice whether
to buy one pair of shoes this month, or 10 100% wool
sweaters from the thrift store. They're both good
shoppers today....though they are creeping up on 40 years
old.

The boys were never much of a problem.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/
Old January 2nd 05, 03:30 AM
melinda

Pogonip wrote:
melinda wrote:

Clothes for my DS only last a season 'cause he grows out of them.
The joy of have an 18 month old in the house!

Yes, but with families passing clothes around, and with
the great ones in thrift stores, this is an easy time.

He doesn't get much in the way of hand-me-downs, his youngest
cousins are approaching the age of 12. Thrift/Op shops are only
good when you can find the right size and he already has preferences
on colour. We have one department store chain locally that has
reasonable prices for reasonable quality. I've made nearly all his
shorts this summer from left over pieces from clothing articles made
for adults, or fabric bought for his clothes.

Trouble starts in the teenage years when style and color
start to matter more. My solution to that was to put the
girls on clothing allowances. It was their choice whether
to buy one pair of shoes this month, or 10 100% wool
sweaters from the thrift store. They're both good
shoppers today....though they are creeping up on 40 years
old.

Mum always bought us new clothes, that I can remember. I
now will shop in Op shops. I've found some very nice LBD's
in Op shops for a fraction of what the would have originally
cost. Unless I find a suitable jacket to go with them, I will
make one to get the right colour or style.

The boys were never much of a problem.

We shall see, DS already has preferences on colour - he knows
what colours look best on him already.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

industry information kat Glass 10 February 10th 05 08:59 PM
AD: Craft Industry Experienced Web Developer/Affordable Online Stores johnwinn Beads 0 November 8th 04 10:20 PM
SoapWIRE Delivers the News for the Handmade Soap Industry Kat General Crafting 0 March 16th 04 10:55 PM
SoapWIRE Delivers the News for the Handmade Soap Industry Kat General Crafting 0 March 16th 04 09:15 PM
Textile Industry Needs Hemp Legalization American Marketplace 0 November 19th 03 11:31 AM