Shiny facest

Old November 6th 03, 03:38 PM
Sjpolyclay

ok. Sounds like its not the heat, not the clay.What about the tls and the
diluent....did you shake/stir more/less either of those things? Use a brush
still wet from washing?

I'm fearing that its going to come down to my Mom's theory---it all has to do
with the way you were holding your mouth at the time. Can-openers, machines of
all sorts--they only work right when you hold your mouth right. (According to
Mom)
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old November 6th 03, 03:41 PM
Jeanne Rhea

Dawn, if you need something to put a satin or matte finish on the clay, try
Golden's Polymer Varnish with UVLS. It comes in Satin, matte and gloss and
I love the stuff.

Now before I go further, this is all my opinions from my testing and
experience up to now.

Golden Polymer Varnish comes in Matte, Satin and Gloss so Flecto-
Varathane just lost a customer. I much prefer Golden Polymer
Varnish over Flecto. I can see no advantage to using Flecto now
over this product. Golden flows better, more consistent thickness,
has a lot fewer bubbles, does not separate out so it has to have
heavy duty mixing. It really does appear to become part of the clay
with a little heat and very hard. I think it is harder to scratch
it than the Flecto---although I cannot be certain. I tried to test
this, but this is a very hard thing to test accurately.

The Golden Polymer Vanish matte is the first
truly matte finish product that I have ever found for use on polymer
clay. It is sooooo matte that I cannot even describe it! So go get
some. I cannot believe I have
hassled with Flecto when this product was out there! The bottles
say that the Golden can be thinned with water 20-40% for brushing
and up to 100% if spraying. I tried to thin it, but like it as it
is better. And the different types---gloss, matte, and satin can be
combined to get the perfect sheen you are looking for. For more info
http://www.goldenpaints.com/polvar.htm

--

http://www.heartofclay.com
eBay auctions
"Dawn" wrote in message
. com...
This was the final bake just to add the TLS.. Everything had already been
baked several times. I used the same method for baking as I always do and
had done on this figure. They were alone in the oven and I was using the
same batch of clay that other figures had come from. The I tried a higher
temperature bake on some test clay. The clay was scorched around the edges
but the area that I applied the TLS mix to was still matte.

--
Dawn Stubitsch
http://www.thumbprintkids.com
"Sjpolyclay" wrote in message
Dawn, was anything else in the oven with it?

Maybe you have checked all the baking variables , though I'm still

wondering
about a short temp flux---high heat does sometimes melt the clay into
shiny-ness before scorching it.

Next would be the clay itself---was it sitting around, or fresh out of

the
wrapper? Did you try the reoccuring experimental pieces out of the very

same
clay?

Old November 6th 03, 10:42 PM
Randie Feil

Hi,

I used to work in a coffee store where the espresso beans varied
in their oiliness depending upon how humid the weather had been on
the day they were roasted. I wonder...do you recall what the weather
was like on the day the face was shiny? Or were you cooking or doing
laundry or something else that might have created greater humidity
that day? (I'm suggesting this without knowing if humidity has any
visible effect on baking clay and finishes, mind you...has anyone
ever noticed any?)

Randie

Old November 7th 03, 01:13 AM
Dawn

I really don't know what may have affected this. I've racked my brain to
find even the tinyest thing that I did differently than I usually do and I
just can't. I have been doing this for a couple of years now under all kinds
of varied conditions, seasons, temperature, humidity, etc. and this has
never happened. I've used TLS with diluent many times and it was always
matte. I even went so far as to mix in some Fray Check that I had on my
table thinking that maybe I reached for that accidentally in a moment of
claying stupor but it just bubbled up and had no shine. I don't think I'm
going to find an answer to this one until it happens (if) again and I can
figure out the difference. In the mean time if it happens to any one else
I'd like to know. Maybe they can pin point a cause.