Knitting bug -- OUCH!

Old June 4th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Knitting bug -- OUCH!

Okay, I'm knitting this dishcloth in a basketweave pattern (easy
enough), trying to do it the properly and right-handed so I can get
muscle memory into play and then with the next dishcloth I am going to
try learning Continental style, since I read lots of places that
Continental style goes faster (I felt like a centipede trying to do the
two-step trying to do it all at once), and once I started, I felt like
Dale Earnhardt at the starting line, "OH, GOODY! I'M GOING TO MAKE THIS
DISHCLOTH! VROOM VROOM! GET OUTTA MY WAY, I'M COMING THROUGH!" (I have
six rows done already, which, given that they were done twice and I
started yesterday afternoon, is not bad.)

Then I know I said I would make a baby sweater for my neighbor, but in
looking at the patterns you ladies posted and going down a few rabbit
trails, I found something that is MUCH, MUCH better and close to
something I've done before on my knitting machine so it feels MUCH more
comfortable to try, and I know it will be much better received by a
mother of a newborn baby boy (and will still be fine for a girl if her
ultrasound is wrong LOL): their first pair of blue jeans.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTblu.html

I remember when my oldest (a son) got a teeny tiny cowboy outfit with
teeny tiny blue jeans for a birthday or Christmas present, and we were
ecstatic that he had something "REAL BOY" to wear. (When he was
newborn, someone gave us a Wrangler brand denim diaper cover with the
pocket and label on the back, hee hee hee.)

So I'm going to put the sweater on hold. I can see myself making these
little blue jeans and finding a baby vest pattern (shouldn't be too hard
to find) to knit in a tan-colored (hopefully reminiscent of leather)
yarn to make an adorable baby outfit for a little boy (there just aren't
that many around, and there are always cute girl things out there) and
knitting one or two up ahead of time to have them ready if I need them.
Old June 4th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Melinda wrote:

Okay, I'm knitting this dishcloth in a basketweave pattern (easy
enough), trying to do it the properly and right-handed so I can get
muscle memory into play and then with the next dishcloth I am going to
try learning Continental style, since I read lots of places that
Continental style goes faster (I felt like a centipede trying to do
the two-step trying to do it all at once), and once I started, I felt
like Dale Earnhardt at the starting line, "OH, GOODY! I'M GOING TO
MAKE THIS DISHCLOTH! VROOM VROOM! GET OUTTA MY WAY, I'M COMING
THROUGH!" (I have six rows done already, which, given that they were
done twice and I started yesterday afternoon, is not bad.)

Not bad. I've also been told that Continental knitting goes quicker,
but I can't seem to get my hands to cooperate; my left hand is
completely inept, or so it seems. I just plod away and get the results
I like.

Then I know I said I would make a baby sweater for my neighbor, but in
looking at the patterns you ladies posted and going down a few rabbit
trails, I found something that is MUCH, MUCH better and close to
something I've done before on my knitting machine so it feels MUCH
more comfortable to try, and I know it will be much better received by
a mother of a newborn baby boy (and will still be fine for a girl if
her ultrasound is wrong LOL): their first pair of blue jeans.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTblu.html

Those are so cute!!

I remember when my oldest (a son) got a teeny tiny cowboy outfit with
teeny tiny blue jeans for a birthday or Christmas present, and we were
ecstatic that he had something "REAL BOY" to wear. (When he was
newborn, someone gave us a Wrangler brand denim diaper cover with the
pocket and label on the back, hee hee hee.)

When my son was a baby I made sure he wore regular boy clothes when we
went out, and only had him in little onesies and sleepers at home. I
think I bought most of his clothes at Penney's back then; they had
inexpensive jeans and cords down to size 6 months, so I picked up a few
of each and matching t-shirts.

So I'm going to put the sweater on hold. I can see myself making
these little blue jeans and finding a baby vest pattern (shouldn't be
too hard to find) to knit in a tan-colored (hopefully reminiscent of
leather) yarn to make an adorable baby outfit for a little boy (there
just aren't that many around, and there are always cute girl things
out there) and knitting one or two up ahead of time to have them ready
if I need them.

There you go! And this is something that will go relatively quickly and
isn't too difficult in terms of shaping, and I love the fake seams on
the jeans.

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old June 4th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shawn

Thank you!! My step-sister and cousin both had baby boys recently and
these are great gift ideas!!

Old June 4th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Madelaine

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
Okay, I'm knitting this dishcloth in a basketweave pattern (easy
enough), trying to do it the properly and right-handed so I can get
muscle memory into play and then with the next dishcloth I am going to
try learning Continental style, since I read lots of places that
Continental style goes faster (I felt like a centipede trying to do the

I've tried two or three times to learn continental. I can't get my
usually utterly consistent guage to be anything like consistent. I'm
saying no two stitches have the same guage! I gave up, since I'm not
into knitting for speed anyway.
Madelaine
Old June 4th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Jun 4, 2:27 pm, Madelaine wrote:
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

Okay, I'm knitting this dishcloth in a basketweave pattern (easy
enough), trying to do it the properly and right-handed so I can get
muscle memory into play and then with the next dishcloth I am going to
try learning Continental style, since I read lots of places that
Continental style goes faster (I felt like a centipede trying to do the

I've tried two or three times to learn continental. I can't get my
usually utterly consistent guage to be anything like consistent. I'm
saying no two stitches have the same guage! I gave up, since I'm not
into knitting for speed anyway.
Madelaine

Yeah, Madelaine, I am like that, too. I'll stick to what I feel
comfortable with.

Higs,
Katherine

Old June 4th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

The real virtue of knowing both styles of knitting is when you want to knit
Fair Isle or stranded and want to carry a yarn in each hand, it is much
easier. (For straight knitting, I do find Continental a bit faster, but
often I get better tension, carrying the yarn in my right hand.

If you just need to finish a lot of objects, or want to knit in the most
ergonomic way possible, use a knitting sheath or knitting pouch.
Instructions have been posted in this forum. (However, the more people that
I teach to knit this way, the more I realize that most established knitters
need several hours of lessons to really get the knack of using a knitting
sheath.) I intend to do a video some time this summer.

Aaron

oups.com...

Old June 5th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

[...]

Oh those are soo cute....I love the rolled up cuffsG

Old June 5th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Jun 4, 5:43 pm, "Aaron Lewis" wrote:
The real virtue of knowing both styles of knitting is when you want to knit
Fair Isle or stranded and want to carry a yarn in each hand, it is much
easier. (For straight knitting, I do find Continental a bit faster, but
often I get better tension, carrying the yarn in my right hand.

Yes, I have done that, using the Philosopher's Wool video.
But for regular knitting, just do whatever works, I think.

Higs,
Katherine

Old June 5th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

knitting is not a BUG , it is a way of life !!!!!
and it`s size is HUGE
mirjam ]

Old June 5th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
knitting is not a BUG , it is a way of life !!!!!
and it`s size is HUGE

Well, the same as I can make quilts but I am not a quilter, I am sure
that I can knit without it becoming the entire focus of my life as well.
I have too many interests and curiosities to be able to let any one
thing take over it all. Even when I homeschooled, it was not the
all-encompassing-and-overarching focus of our lives, just one part of it.

My partly-completed dishcloth (18 rows in 2 days) is sitting with the
needles poked in the top of the yarn cone watching me from on top of the
printer waiting for me to have time to do a few more rows (am just
practicing good knitting habits -- English style after hearing that
there are a number of knitters here who do English and feeling that I
can take the step to do Continental later -- on this one doing a 3 x 3
basketweave with a 3 stitch/row garter border around in in colors that
are dying for me to find the time some day to make a sweater for myself
from the same kind of yarn) and I got notified today that my Rowan Denim
yarn (for baby blue jeans) has been shipped.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

OUCH Polly S. Beads 6 February 1st 07 03:57 PM
ouch! WitchyStitcher Quilting 50 January 4th 06 05:35 AM
ouch!! [email protected] Yarn 20 October 21st 04 03:08 AM
Mom & Sis/colour - ouch norma woods Yarn 5 December 30th 03 01:56 PM