Boston Area Jewelry Making classes! Yippee!

Old August 11th 04, 12:29 PM
lgreene

Default Boston Area Jewelry Making classes! Yippee!

why all you had to do was ask!! Metalwerx is just about 1 mile from my
house...i go there often. As a matter of fact it just had a seminar day
sponsored by Ganoksin that was really quite nice.

Quite a number of people rent their bench space there.

I've been to both the BCAE and the CCAE...nice classes.

Actually, you can get to Metalwerx via Public Transport...a train to a bus,
or if someone's really nice, and can get to around here, i could always be
the private transport.

Metalwerx is women owned, and the work the two owners do is outstanding...as
is most of the work the others do.

Lots of basic classes like soldering, chain making, etc.

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
I did some research and just found _three_ places here in the Boston
area that offer beginner's metalworking classes.

Boston Center for Adult Education (www.bcae.org): Offers all sorts
of course for pretty reasonable sums of money ($70 - $110) Courses
run during evenings, weekends or during the day. Seems to run the
gamut from silversmithing (beginner, intermediate and advanced) to
knotted beaded necklaces and PMC. There's even a class on vintage
costume jewelry! (Oh Becki B -- vintage jewelry -- calling you!)

Cambridge Center for Adult Education (www.ccae.org): Even more
courses than in Boston, and the prices are similar. Lots of
glassblowing and beadmaking stuff here, too. Between these two
places, you could get a darned good education in making jewelry.

--- Both places above are accessible by public transportation ---

There's another option, not on public transportation, and not a
non-profit, but it looks pretty darned good as well

Metalwerx (www.metalwerx.com) Lots more expensive than the two
places above, but classes are limited to twelve people, and they
offer some things you aren't going to find elsewhere. I found a
class for plique-a-jour enameling (a form of enameling with no metal
in the back of the frame, so it looks like stained glass), PMC
certification, Hydraulic Die Forming - all on consecutive weekend
days, so you can get the whole deal at once. Also includes more
traditional 6-8 week evening class structure on loads of jewelry
making topics.

--------------------------------

All have classes registering for the fall term, beginning next month.
As much as I'd like to sign up, I think I'm being _way_ too
optimistic that my pain/mobility issues will be resolved within a
matter of weeks, at least enough so I could take the classes. But
there's a winter term, and a spring one after it! (heh, heh, heh)

Happily, this also seems to be a way to find a way to source good
bead places in the area, although I sure have developed my online
sources to a point where I'm not bead-deprived at all. ;-) I really
want to learn the silversmithing stuff, the enameling stuff and glass
slumping. Oh yes, PMC when I have a spare five minutes.

That the classes are on the subway line just is a bonus for the two
non-profits. Waltham is about a 45 minute ride for me, when I can
drive, and with the schedules they post for the weekend seminar
classes, I'd rent a hotel room for the night in the middle, so I
wouldn't wear myself out with more than just the class.

[Doing a virtual happy dance!] I'm so, so happy that there is an
outlet for me to learn more about my art just waiting for me, as soon
as I get well enough to take advantage of it. Talk about motivation.

Obligatory Poor Bob Moment: Feel sad for my poor, long suffering
husband. He will have to listen to me talk about jewelry, rant about
invisible mistakes I made in technique, and watch me spend large sums
of money on toys that do not interest him. These courses are timed
to coincide with Manda's chemistry and calculus courses during the
school year at MIT, so he'll be home doing laundry while the kid and
I are going to go buck-wild, learning new skills.

Because neither Manda nor I is capable of learning something new and
shutting up about it, he'll get to hear us discuss every detail
endlessly. Poor, poor Bob. He won't even be able to complain to his
dad, because Nick was a metalworker for 50+ years. Grandpa will be
delighted that _someone_ in the house will know the skills, even if
just playing with jewelry, instead of building big ships and such.
hehehehe.

Kathy N-V

Old August 11th 04, 01:33 PM
JavaGirlBT

I love the concept of BCAE and CCAE - what a great resource. I took my first
lampworking class through BCAE with Marj Bates in Scituate. They also have a
cool cheese-tasting course - yum!. DH and I wish there were something
BCAE-like here in Southern NH, but there isn't.
-Ellen

Old August 11th 04, 11:23 PM
lgreene

I bought my first ever lampwork from Marj...she had open studio last
weekend, but a friend from NJ was here, and he and I had planned to go, but
so many other things diverted us.

I still see her at shows every now and again...she is a hoot.

Lisa