Moth eaten baby sweaters!!!!!!!!!!

Old November 23rd 04, 07:16 AM
Linda

Default Moth eaten baby sweaters!!!!!!!!!!

Hi---I knit two darling sweaters for my twin granddaughters and pulled them
out of a drawer today and they have moth holes in them. The only sweaters I
made with Super Wash Wool.....

I don't have anymore of the yarn, so was wondering how everyone "patches"
their holes. I was going to use clear, nylon thread....any suggestions????

--
Have a Great Day!!
Linda

Old November 23rd 04, 03:38 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Linda,

I don't have any ideas for you, but what a thing to have happen to the sweaters
and for twins too.

Hugs,

Nora

Old November 23rd 04, 03:57 PM
Wooly

Little appliques?

And of course you have to check EVERYTHING in ALL the drawers and
closets. Clothes moth larvae eat all protein fibers, tho they like
wool the best. Your silks are at risk too.

Old November 23rd 04, 05:07 PM

"Linda" wrote in message
newstBod.3289$Nh1.2433@trnddc09...
Hi---I knit two darling sweaters for my twin granddaughters and pulled
them out of a drawer today and they have moth holes in them. The only
sweaters I made with Super Wash Wool.....

I don't have anymore of the yarn, so was wondering how everyone "patches"
their holes. I was going to use clear, nylon thread....any
suggestions????

I'm so sorry! Moth damage is so frustrating.

I've never tried it, but I found a possible solution while reading the posts
on 'Needle Felting" in this newsgroup. I googled and found this link
http://www.hookedonfelt.com/

On the very bottom of the page there is a kit whose description reads "This
needle felt kit is just exactly what you need to mend those lovely knitted
wool sock that happened to develop a whole in the heel or toe. With this
kit, and a small amount of wool roving, and two minutes time, your feet can
be warm and toasty again". Now, doesn't that sound like an idea for mending
ALL sorts of holes in woolen knits? Depending on where the holes are, you
might even fit in some sort of design element.

Old November 23rd 04, 10:57 PM
Richard Eney

In article ptBod.3289$Nh1.2433@trnddc09, Linda wrote:
Hi---I knit two darling sweaters for my twin granddaughters and pulled them
out of a drawer today and they have moth holes in them. The only sweaters I
made with Super Wash Wool.....

I don't have anymore of the yarn, so was wondering how everyone "patches"
their holes. I was going to use clear, nylon thread....any suggestions????

Does the nylon thread leave a stiff, scratchy end when you tie it off?

After putting the sweaters in the freezer for 24 hours (to kill moth
eggs), I think I'd find a compatible set of colors and darn them, then
embroider flowers in enough places to make a pleasant effect (not just
over the holes).

And I'd store them in plastic bags. I know it's heresy but where moths
are involved, I'm a heretic.

=Tamar

Old November 23rd 04, 10:59 PM
spampot

L wrote:
"Linda" wrote in message
newstBod.3289$Nh1.2433@trnddc09...

Hi---I knit two darling sweaters for my twin granddaughters and pulled
them out of a drawer today and they have moth holes in them. The only
sweaters I made with Super Wash Wool.....

I don't have anymore of the yarn, so was wondering how everyone "patches"
their holes. I was going to use clear, nylon thread....any
suggestions????

I would be afraid that nylon thread would eventually cut through pure
wool. Are the holes in spots where, say, embroidering a flower with
crewel wool would look good?

I'm so sorry! Moth damage is so frustrating.

I've never tried it, but I found a possible solution while reading the posts
on 'Needle Felting" in this newsgroup. I googled and found this link
http://www.hookedonfelt.com/

On the very bottom of the page there is a kit whose description reads "This
needle felt kit is just exactly what you need to mend those lovely knitted
wool sock that happened to develop a whole in the heel or toe. With this
kit, and a small amount of wool roving, and two minutes time, your feet can
be warm and toasty again". Now, doesn't that sound like an idea for mending
ALL sorts of holes in woolen knits? Depending on where the holes are, you
might even fit in some sort of design element.

Oh, cool! Noting this down. Thanks!

Destashing - posting to group Rachel Gasperson Yarn 3 June 14th 20 06:58 AM
Sweaters Karen in MN Yarn 3 January 22nd 04 06:25 AM
The Rewards of Gifting a Baby Quilt Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 4 September 21st 03 01:42 PM
baby boots size Anna MCM Yarn 9 September 17th 03 03:33 PM
Stampola Newsletter - July 7, 2003 Mindy at Stampola Rubberstamps 0 July 8th 03 05:35 AM