Snap tape

Old September 24th 04, 06:38 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

"Tom Farrell" wrote in message
om...
"Cynthia Spilsted" wrote in message

snip Right, that I knew. I'm curious, do you have any strong opinions on
buttons on toddler day-wear? I'm inclined to avoid them, but wondered
if people felt it's not a problem.

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/

For my own children, I generally avoided buttons for both the safety
concerns (any bought item with buttons I re-stitched the buttons to make
sure they were secure) and self-dressing issues. There is enough
frustration in a two year old's life without them having to fight buttons
when their fine motor skills are not ready for them!
Some of the girls' dresses buttoned up the back, and Michael had one or two
shirts but that was about the whole of it: tops were mainly pull-on as were
pants. We had a few items that snapped or zipped up, but pull-on/off ruled
in our house. It made the routines of the day a little easier to manage and
helped them learn to dress themselves. Of course, sometimes these things do
backfi my older daughter had a thing for dresses but a November
birthday. On her 3rd birthday she was cross because I insisted on pants to
go to the indoor playground. I thought the argument was settled - until I
heard laughter behind me in the foyer of the 'Growing Space'. I put my baby
down and turned in time to see an item of clothing flying through the air
accompanied by "I told you I didn't want to wear pants!". My daughter had
not stopped at removing her coat and boots: she stood starkers in the entry
of the Space in full fury. I finally fixed the dilemma of winter weather
clothing by sewing reams of lace on all her pants! (Now, this same daughter
goes around in 'army look' and still looks feminine!).
My biggest problem with toddler clothes was lack of selection for little
boys: I had a problem with GI Jose and Ninja Turtles on everything. It was
either plain and boring or violent and mean for little boys. I finally
bought plain jogging fleece, sewed some outfits and put my own pictures on
them with fabric dye sticks and fabric markers. The 'dinosaur panorama'
jacket is coming back to our house to be passed on again: it has gone
through at least five little boys and is still going strong. The zipper has
had to be replaced about three times but the rest of the jacket is in
excellent condition.
Cynthia

Old September 24th 04, 10:33 PM
Taria

I tried not to use buttons on fronts of toddler and under sized
clothes. Choking danger always something to think about.
Some kids do not like buttons. A niece of mine hated anything with
buttons so everything for her had zippers.
Small baby sleep wear is so inexpensive and there are so many great
styles available I would probably not sew them anymore. Gowns
with french hand sewing, specialty stuff and smocked outfits or dresses
is where you can get a lot more for your time and trouble IMO.
Taria

Old September 25th 04, 03:15 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

The sleepers that I should have copied cost $75 each at a place called "Sir
Nicholas & the Toad" in Vancouver, BC. The only reason that I had them was
they were handed down to my daughter from a dear friend with very wealthy
family. I still regret not copying the style - and I have enough on my
plate that a trial and error version is not a high priority....
I sewed a lot for my own toddlers - and most of my first-born's clothing.
For friends, I concentrate on more unique items such as making their first
Halloween costume, fun bibs or patchwork stockings for the family. I think
Tom's idea of the Polartec sleepers is wonderful because those are only
available in the high-end stores and are priced far higher than their worth.
Most 'blanket' sleepers on the market are rather horrid affairs...
Cynthia

Old September 25th 04, 03:43 AM
Taria

Here in So. Cal. you could cook a poor wee one if you put them in
enough fleece! Guess I am sort of spoiled and don't much understand
really cold weather.
My kids are 20 and 22 and I sewed almost everything for them but there
is just so much more available now.
Taria

Old September 25th 04, 05:40 AM
Emily

I would never make anything of fleece for small children, except maybe a
jacket for casual wear when they are over 5 and will be supervised by an
adult. It just doesn't seem safe, espcially for sleepers. Most of the time
when my children were young, we were living in IL, WS, and CO, they slept in
safe flannel and never seemed to need anything heavier.
This is just MOHO.
Emily

Old September 25th 04, 07:53 AM
melinda

Tom Farrell wrote:

[snip]
Last but not least: No buttons on infant or toddler sleepwear, please! It
is a safety issue because kids will swallow almost anything!

Right, that I knew. I'm curious, do you have any strong opinions on
buttons on toddler day-wear? I'm inclined to avoid them, but wondered
if people felt it's not a problem.

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/

As a mother of a 15 month old boy I can honestly say that buttons
are a pain in the neck, he wants to be off playing, not standing
around waiting for buttons to be done up.

PS. He must know when I'm typing about him, he always wants
my undivided attention when I'm half way through typing my
post.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old September 25th 04, 07:57 PM
Tom Farrell

"Emily" wrote in message ...
I would never make anything of fleece for small children, except maybe a
jacket for casual wear when they are over 5 and will be supervised by an
adult. It just doesn't seem safe, espcially for sleepers.

What's the difference between covering them with a blanket and putting
them in a sleeper that's made of... well, of blanket?

Most of the time
when my children were young, we were living in IL, WS, and CO, they slept in
safe flannel and never seemed to need anything heavier.

Safe flannel? You mean that stuff that bursts into flame at the
slightest hint of a spark?

No fabric is perfectly safe and hardly any are outright dangerous. The
key factor in most cases is for the parents to observe how warm or
cool it is and ensure that the child is wearing it when appropriate.

Polartec comes in thicknesses ranging from thinner-than-flannel to
over half an inch thick, so it's great in regard to you being able to
choose just how warm or cool you want the fabric to be when you get
it. They do, in fact, make Polartec prints specifically designed for
babies.

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/
Old September 25th 04, 08:30 PM
Trish Brown

Tom Farrell wrote:

"Emily" wrote in message ...

I would never make anything of fleece for small children, except maybe a
jacket for casual wear when they are over 5 and will be supervised by an
adult. It just doesn't seem safe, espcially for sleepers.

What's the difference between covering them with a blanket and putting
them in a sleeper that's made of... well, of blanket?

The difference between putting a young child to sleep under a blanket vs
in a 'blanket flavoured' sleeper is that air can circulate much more
readily around the child beneath a blanket and so s/he is much less
likely to overheat. Very young children are much less able to regulate
their own body heat and can be at risk from febrile convulsion and
dehydration when overdressed in bed.

Most of the time
when my children were young, we were living in IL, WS, and CO, they slept in
safe flannel and never seemed to need anything heavier.

Safe flannel? You mean that stuff that bursts into flame at the
slightest hint of a spark?

YES! You make an important point, Tom! Lots of people don't realise how
dangerous flannel (or, as we in Oz call it, 'flannelette') is! The
fluffy nap is so easy to catch flame and the layer of oxygen that makes
the fabric a warm one is what feeds the fire. Mind you, it's hard to
know what *is* the safest fabric for children's sleepwear: synthetic
fabrics melt and 'outgas' while natural ones smoulder and then flame.
It's interesting to note that the 'danger' component doesn't really come
into play while the child is actually *sleeping* in the garment: it's in
the time before bed that vigilance is needed.

No fabric is perfectly safe and hardly any are outright dangerous. The
key factor in most cases is for the parents to observe how warm or
cool it is and ensure that the child is wearing it when appropriate.

Polartec comes in thicknesses ranging from thinner-than-flannel to
over half an inch thick, so it's great in regard to you being able to
choose just how warm or cool you want the fabric to be when you get
it. They do, in fact, make Polartec prints specifically designed for
babies.

I used rugby fleece to make sleepers for my kids. Both were compulsive
blanket-chuckers and with the sleepers, I knew they were adequately
covered. When DD was five, though, she began having night terrors. This
turned out to be directly related to overheating in her sleeper and I
had to discontinue its use.

FWIW, I never used snap tape for making baby clothes and I *hated*
fiddling with buttons while dressing a wriggly toddler. I used snap
fasteners which I applied myself, using the purpose-built tool they came
packaged with. They were just so easy to rip apart when dressing/undressing!

Mind you, IME young mothers just aren't interested in hand-made baby
clothes today! They want 'cute' little adult-replica clothing put
together by 'label' manufacturers so the newborn can appear as a
miniature adult in jeans, joggers and proprietary sweatshirts! Urk!
Whatever happened to white, lacy baby wear? Sigh...

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old September 25th 04, 10:20 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

I would use fleece over flannel any day!
Why? Flammability questions aside, fleece does not produce lint. If you've
ever had a child with respiratory problems and/or environmental allergies,
fleece beats flannel by a country mile. Flannel produces lint until it is
no longer flannel! I like the look and feel of flannel, but had to limit
it's use with my children - especially my oldest. Good quality fleece was
not available where I live 18 years ago, so I used a lot of good quality
jersey knits and jogging fleece. If I could have had access to the range of
Polartec that is available today......
I do not use flame retardant fabrics because the compounds made my
children's eczema flare up badly. Cotton flannel does not always 'poof' up
into flame, but the linting factor makes it quite flammable. Lint is so
flammable that we used to save the dryer lint for campfire starters!
Cynthia
snip