"created diamond"

Old September 13th 04, 01:11 AM
Lawrence

Default "created diamond"

Hi.

Out of all the diamond simulants out there....is there a "best kind/type"?

all of them tout that their diamond simulant is better than others, or how
close it resembles a real diamond so closely, etc etc.

-lawrence b. lugar

Old September 13th 04, 05:56 AM
Jack Schmidling

"Lawrence"

Out of all the diamond simulants out there....is there a "best kind/type"?

all of them tout that their diamond simulant is better than others, or how
close it resembles a real diamond so closely, etc etc.

Your subject line is in conflict with the word "simulant". "Created
diamonds" as in synthetic, are real diamonds and not to be confused with
simulants.

Any clear stone can be considered a diamond simulant if one chooses to call
it that.

Other than hardness where diamond is king, there are several materials with
other characteristics that are considerably more attractive than diamond.

Your idea of "best kind" may be subjective but the important factors are
brilliance and fire. Hardness is nice but unless you are making grinding
wheels, it is not terribly important and of course, has no effect on how it
looks.

Brilliance is a function of refractive index and color/fire is a function of
dispersion.

Cubic Zirconia has a refractive index close enough to diamond that a
difference in brilliance is in the noise if any at all. A well cut CZ could
be more brilliant than a typical production cut diamond.

The dispersion of CZ is significantly higher than diamond producing color
and fire that no diamond can produce. I suppose they exist but I have never
seen a dimond as beautiful as the CZ's I routinely cut from a few dollars
worth of rough.

For the sheer joy of fire, strontium titanate is probabbly the king. With
ten times the dispersions of diamond, it is a light show on your finger and
nothing I know of looks quite like it. As far as I know though, it can not
be had in pure white and you have to settle for a hint of yellow. If one
has one of these, they would probably never wear their boring old diamonds.
The rough is quite a bit more expensive than CZ but orders of magnitude less
than diamond.

Don't know if this answers your question but these are two that I am
familiar with.

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.netfirms.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Gems, Sausage, http://schmidling.netfirms.com

Old September 13th 04, 05:56 AM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Well, synthetic diamond of course is number one.

But if you mean diamond simulants - it's a toss up between CZ and
Moissanite for the average observer, with a slight edge to Moissanite
for being a little more problematic for 'knowledgable' people to
distinguish. Depends on your end use I suppose.

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

Lawrence wrote:
Hi.

Out of all the diamond simulants out there....is there a "best kind/type"?

all of them tout that their diamond simulant is better than others, or how
close it resembles a real diamond so closely, etc etc.

-lawrence b. lugar

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old September 13th 04, 04:29 PM
Abrasha

Lawrence wrote:

Hi.

Out of all the diamond simulants out there....is there a "best kind/type"?

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old September 18th 04, 05:38 PM
m4816k

"Lawrence" wrote in message
Hi.

Out of all the diamond simulants out there....is there a "best kind/type"?

all of them tout that their diamond simulant is better than others, or how
close it resembles a real diamond so closely, etc etc.

-lawrence b. lugar

I'll always go for a hand cut CZ. Moissonite is way overpriced for my budget
(especially compared to an alternative), and besides, some of it's optical
characteristics (brilliance, if I'm not mistaken) are several times above
same in diamond, and that's a significant diference. After all, it's
marketed as "a gem like no other" (or whatever the logo says), and that says
it all for me.

Old December 26th 04, 09:38 PM

I think you are trying to ask : is there any artificial method to
create
diamonds ...

"Simulant" is not diamond; but "Synthetic diamond" is diamond.

You might check

http://www.ScienceOxygen.com/gadget149.html
for information about diamond.

diamond buying Lawrence Jewelry 5 August 28th 04 03:34 AM
Need feedback on Diamond band saws. Garry Lynch Glass 6 August 21st 04 06:38 PM
Fake pink diamond Yoshiyuki Mochizuki Jewelry 4 July 22nd 04 07:38 AM
My Antwerp diamond experience and advice on price please! simon3000 Jewelry 9 May 27th 04 04:56 AM
Diamond Pricing Mystery t0rk-- Jewelry 1 February 11th 04 06:21 AM