technical question

Old November 28th 03, 06:40 PM
Dr. Quilter

Default technical question

Anybody has the last Keepsake catalogue? there is a pattern close to the
middle of the booklet of a boyish looking quilt, with aplique trucks,
and 4 patches, and larger squares, in red, green, orange, blue and red.
Found it? I decided to make one like it for my friend's baby, since I
visited her wish list from Babies are us and found out she was
decorating with primary colours and car stuff.

Of course I cannot follow patterns to the letter, so I took the general
idea, made three different aplique blocks (sports car, bug, and truck)
that I kind of copied from a fabric I had, and changed the colours
around a bit, eg. the border is fire engine red. I used my blanket
stitch in the new machine, and fusible aplique, a first for me. Top
turned out pretty nice, though very different from my usual quilts. I
used Hobbs 80/20 for batting, and a flannel with cars, stop signs, etc
for the back.

I have had it sandwiched and quilted in the ditch for a few weeks, but I
need to do the free motion and stuff. They came last night for
Thanksgiving but it wasn't finished, I decided cleaning the house was
more important and I hate finishing quilts in a hurry anyway, so I
showed it to them and told them I would visit when I am done with it.
She wants to go to Babies are us with me anyway to help me shop for what
I need for Sofia, now that she has seen what I already have.

So now I am trying to finish it calmly. My question is as follows. Like
I said, I quilted all seams that join the blocks, plus the middle seams
in the four patches in the ditch to anchor it all, with red thread. Then
I am doing free motion loops and stippling with variegated thread in the
white areas around the stars and aplique vehicles. So far so good. I
have to decide what to do with the long filler rectangles (from the tiny
picture in the catalogue it looks as if they did some kind of jagged
pattern, not sure if I like that). Ideas? But my real question (as
President Bartlett said the other day on West Wing, why use one word
when you can use 10, seems to be my perfect motto), DH really liked the
idea of quilting concentric circles, reminiscent of wheels, on the large
squares, as in the KQ catalogue. I said sure, no problem. Should I use
the walking foot or try it free motion? It was relatively easy to do the
outer circle with the walking foot, albeit the quilt has to be turned
and turned slowly to follow the line. I could not do the small one
right, though. And my free motion is not that perfect that I can do two
concentric, paralell circles, mistakes are too obvious. What would you
guys do?

Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Old November 28th 03, 07:38 PM
..Mickie Swall..

You have recreated Toy Trucks on p.101 of the Holiday Update 2003
Keepsake Catalog. I see the two circles, one inside the other, in the
solid square patches. The only way I would attempt to do them is to
trace around a suitable sized cup or plate and then stitch on the lines.
On the other hand, why not do a spiral? Using the walking foot, start
in the center and stitch your way around ending in one of the corners.
Use the edge of the foot to guide you, or else pencil it in and stitch
on the lines.
HTH Cute quilt, Marissa, hope you will share some pictures!
Mickie

Old November 28th 03, 07:52 PM
nzl*

some different hubcap patterns perhaps?
circle with straight lines joining those circles somehow.
theres gotta be heaps of those designs to view online somewhere.
good luck,
jeanne

"Dr. Quilter" wrote...

Old November 28th 03, 10:56 PM
Patti

Hullo Marissa
I'm glad you are not in a hurry, because you will need to do a practice
square with this, to see whether you could do it on the quilt as a
whole!
There is a very good way of sewing beautiful, exact circles, but I have
never tried it on a large quilt.

Decide the radius of the circle you want (in your case this will be
several, sequentially).
Measure this distance from the needle.
tape a drawing pin/thumb tack onto the machine (point up!!), so that the
point is the desired distance from the needle.
Place your quilt piece onto the point of the tack, firmly, and begin to
sew, Keep moving the quilt slowly round and you have a lovely, perfect
circle.

You can then repeat the exercise as many times as you wish. I would
start with the centre, smallest one and work your way out, rather than
the other way round. Oh! I would use the walking foot.
..
In article , Dr. Quilter
writes
snipped

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 29th 03, 12:32 AM
Polly Esther

Dear doctor, it will not kill you to handquilt those little circles. It
really and truly will not. You might even learn to enjoy it. I was going to
suggest that wobbly circles ought to be just fine. After actually finding
the quilt picture and falling in love with it, it just seems to me that the
circle in a circle is great. You can mix SM and handquilting. Of course you
can. Go thread a needle and give it a try. What's the worst that can happen?
Polly

Old November 29th 03, 01:29 AM
nzl*

theres an interesting 'free' quilting stencil design to download on
http://www.quiltsewmuch.com/new40090.html
i just came across this today, NAYY.
might be another idea to incorporate somehow.
jeanne

"Polly Esther" wrote...

Old November 29th 03, 05:22 PM
Dr. Quilter

I did mark them with a cup and stuff, but still have trouble following
the line, especially on the small circle. I have to put pictures of the
last 3 baby quilts I've made on my webshots page...

Old November 29th 03, 05:23 PM
Dr. Quilter

oh, I know how to handquilt, and I handquilt some projects, but I am not
sure I like the combination of both in the same quilt....

Old November 29th 03, 05:23 PM
Dr. Quilter

I like your suggestion and since the small circle is the problem, I
thought of doing spokes or something like that, but it sounded too
bicicley... hubcaps are a great idea!

Old November 29th 03, 05:25 PM
Dr. Quilter

hmmm.. I'll try that. normally I am a wizard in my practice squares, the
problem comes when trying to squeeze the quilt through the machine's
under arm space... imagine, for a circle with the walking foot, it is a
constant turn, so I am not sure how to roll it!

Patti wrote:

[...]

.
In article , Dr. Quilter
writes