Jerry-talc question

Old September 12th 03, 03:25 AM
Liam Striker

Default Jerry-talc question

Hi Jerry. I tried your talc trick to try and replicate a glass texture.
First firing got a huge bubble. Slowed down the schedule to 200 deg/hr and
the glass mashed down the texture in the talc about 50% after firing to
1400, and still had a bubble although much smaller. Do you have any tips
here?

Thanks
Liam

Old September 23rd 03, 10:15 PM
Jerry Maske

Well, bubbles are the result of something between the bottom of your
glass and the shelf/talc/mold. Talc doesn't cause bubbles. In fact,
glass painters use talc on their kiln shelves so the back of their glass
doesn't have any texture on it. So I'm not sure what caused your
problem. Bubbles that come up from the bottom of the piece are, in my
opinion, the hardest problems to solve.

Now, about the change in the shape; can you say a bit more about what
you were actually doing? My memory isn't as good as it used to be and I
can't remember what you wanted to do. I'll do my best to help you
through all this.

Jerry

--
? Angel Antics Glass Crafters ?
Fine Art Glass, Kaleidoscopes and

Old September 27th 03, 03:29 AM
Liam Striker

I was trying to duplicate a pattern of texture from one glass to another.
An impression was made in a bed of talc from one glass, and another was
slumped over the talk to try and achieve the same pattern. placing cold
glass over the talk somewhat mashed the pattern in the talc. I then stilted
the glass on the ends by 1/4" and slumped down into the pattern. Better
results but still some flat spots. And of course I had bubbles.
As far as the bubbles go, It was trapped air. I assumed that it would be
able to disperse thought the talc, but I guess it couldn't

Liam

Old September 27th 03, 03:17 PM
Javahut

LIam, I just had a thought about this particular bubble situation,
Are you using a shelf primer of some type on the shelf under the talc? Are
you putting a shelf primer on your Hydroperm molds?

Some shelf primers will "gas off" at particular temperatures or at
particularly rapid ramp cycles. Something to think about.
With Hydroperm you do NOT use shelf primer, the glass will not stick to the
plaster, leaves a very smooth surface in the glass, very nice.

If you are using Talc to pick up a pattern, you don't need shelf primer
because the glass is setting on the talc, not the shelf.

Just a thought.

. ..

Old September 29th 03, 03:11 AM
Michele Blank

i remember seeing a fellow's work that incorporated a paste of kiln wash as
opposed to a liquid that was applied with a cake decorating kit and used to
create some really cool textured pieces. Perhaps mixing the kiln wash thick,
applying the pattern piece, then letting dry before firing your new piece???