OT word of the day

Old December 31st 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT word of the day

Satin
Sateen

The difference between these is wholly in the fiber content.
They are both satin weaves.
There are two basic varieties of satin weave, warp face and filling
face. Warp face is the most common of the two. In warp face the weft
thread passes over one warp thread, and then under several.
In filling face (filling is often used as an alternate term for weft),
the process is reversed, so that the weft thread passes under one warp
thread and over the next several.

Satin is usually made of silk, or filament synthetic threads,
sometimes a blend of both.

Sateen is usually made of cotton, or other spun yarns.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old January 1st 09, 06:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Tailor's Ham

A firmly stuffed ham shaped cushion, used for pressing seams and darts
in garments so that they retain their shape well.

Some older sewing books give instructions for making your own ham, and
almost always advise making them entirely out of a "strong woolen",
and stuffing with sawdust or horsehair. There are exceptions, velvet
or velvet covered hams seem to have had a devoted following for
pressing silks and delicate fabrics. I confess I have one and use it
for pressing velvets mostly. (1)
There are still instructions for making your own available, including
online. In this day and age with more diversity of fabrics, and
electric irons, often hams are made of all cotton, or half cotton and
half wool. The stuffing should still be very firm however, and I have
found sawdust from kiln dried wood to be optimal, with horsehair or
synthetics a very distant second. Hair and synthetics tend to be more
difficult to stuff evenly, and it is more difficult to get the desired
firmness, especially with synthetics. They also begin to smell a bit
after a while. Cotton wadding would probably work if you could stuff
it firmly and evenly enough without damaging your seams.

(1) with velvets I usually give the hard pressing to the lining and
interlining, and am much more gentle with the outer so as to save the
pile.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old January 1st 09, 07:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I actually have a pressing cloth for velvet!! It's like a synthetic
velvet itself; but tougher, presumably?
(I also have a tailor's ham!! I used to take my clothes making very
seriously g)
..
In message , NightMist
writes

[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 1st 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

I have a tailor's ham and HAD a velvet board. Haven't seen that in years.
Wonder where it went.....

Butterfly (have a stack of 5" squares of velvet and sequined velvets cut and
ready for a someday quilt. Just need more velvet to cut. )

.

Old January 1st 09, 06:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default A glitzy velvet quilt was: word of the day

You are using SEQUINED velvets in a quilt? Only real velvet, or are you
including velveteen? Colors, goal, purpose?? Details woman, details!
PAT in VA/USA

Old January 1st 09, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Patti wrote:

I actually have a pressing cloth for velvet!! It's like a synthetic
velvet itself; but tougher, presumably?
(I also have a tailor's ham!! I used to take my clothes making very
seriously g)

I still have my tailor's ham, too, Patti! I used to follow the very good
instructions in the Vogue Sewing book, and the ham was quite helpful. Of
course, I don't make my clothes at all any longer, so I don't quite know
why I hang onto that ham, but I do. G

.
[...]

Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old January 1st 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I just think: well I might need it again some day g.
If I didn't think that so often, of course, I would not have accumulated
so much 'stuff'!!
Sometimes I get a 'ruthless throw away inclination'. So I start. Then
I start encountering all the 'sentimental value only things'. Then it
all becomes a fruitless task - I know I'm never going to willingly throw
them away!
..
In message , Sandy
writes

Old January 1st 09, 07:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

My mother had a tailor's ham. Think my little sister got it, along
with her darning egg. I got the rest of her sewing box.

Ginger in CA

Old January 1st 09, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

A-Ha!
I knew somebody would latch onto this and ask questions!
I wanna know too!
I do have some velvet scraps. Which you can have if rayon pile-silk
backing would go with what you are doing. Since I dye the garment
finished or in pieces rather than the yardage, I bet they would match
your color scheme. (G)

One of these days I am going to make one myself.
There is one down at the historical society that is scalloped fans
scattered across a crazy quilt. Embroidered seams, and the fans are
light colors while the crazy pieces are darks. All silk velvet, and
backed with what appears to be bombazine. It dates from about 1880.
Very drool worthy.

NightMist

Old January 1st 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Ooh! that reminds me, too. I have a darning mushroom g
This is a fun thread g
..
In message
,
Ginger in CA writes

need a word nzlstar*[_2_] Quilting 6 March 20th 08 12:54 PM
OT one more new word Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 39 March 13th 08 12:46 PM
Your Word for the Day 1/19 Karen C - California Needlework 0 January 19th 04 06:45 PM
Your Word for the Day 12/10 Karen C - California Needlework 20 December 19th 03 04:07 PM