built-in thread cutter

Old November 18th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default built-in thread cutter

Please explain to me what is meant by 'built-in thread cutter'. There are 3
thread cutters on my Berninas - but they are simply convenient places where
when you've finished stitching you can pass the threads through and
ker-chunk the threads to cut them instead of reaching for scissors or
clippers.
Are there SMs that somehow (?) reach up to the underside of a quilt and
neatly clip the bobbin thread? when you're out in the middle of a quilt
maybe doing a drop and drag sort of tying off?
Assuming the answer is yes, are they neat about it or sort of sloppy
like the 'tie-off' stitch that is not very pretty?
The built-in thread cutter concept calls to me; sure would be nice when
doing pretty stitches and wanting to move over to the next spot without
being concerned about finding all the long threads to clip them later or
(worse yet) getting snarled in one. Polly

Old November 18th 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Polly, the answer is yes. My friend has a Babylock with an automatic
thread clipper, top and bottom. It's grand. Only problem is, the open
space for wrangling a quilt for quilting is really small. Smaller than
on my machine even. And mine is nothing to write home about.

Sunny
Old November 18th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

as I understand it it's as in your 2nd paragraph, cuts both threads
right at the quilt, I've not examined the results in detail to figure
out whether or not the tieing off is a problem and causes a bump, the
kind of machines it's a feature on are already top of the range, I
suspect it isn't a problem.

Anne
Old November 18th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Hmmmmm. I saw that Mickie was longing for a Bernina with a longer harp And
a built-in thread cutter. There might be a way to get me to welcome a new
SM - that sounds so good. Polly

Old November 18th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

My sweet Janome 6600 has the automatic thread cutter. When I reach the end
of a row of stitching I have the option of backstitching, using the locking
stitch with a press of a button and it will then sew 5 stitches spaced in
teensy tiny steps (NOT piled on top of each other) or I can just stop
sewing. Then I press a button and both top and bottom threads are cut
automatically- like magic! (If I am in needle down mode, it will snip the
threads and leave the needle up- when I start sewing again I'm right back in
needle down mode- very handy!) It leaves a tail of both threads about 1/4
in. long on the bottom/bobbin side when it cuts them. Then the next
stitching starts off with another tiny 1/4 in. tail on both top and bottom
threads. If I'm mq'ing then I go back and snip those tiny tails on the
bottom side. Otherwise they are so short that I don't even bother with
them. I LOVE that nifty option on my sm!

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..

Old November 18th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
I.E.Z.

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
[...]

What she said - I love this feature! It makes free motion quilting so much
easier because you press the button and move on to the next spot - no more
reaching under the quilt for the bobbin thread.

Iris

Old November 18th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Yep, the 6600 as it but my Brother 1500 had it 5 or more years ago.
Once you get used to it you are in trouble. Kind of like the knee bar
that lifts the presser foot. I think you will find the cutter on more
and more machines these days Polly.
TAria

Old November 18th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mickie Swall[_2_]

Guess I should have called that an "automatic" thread cutter which
at the push of a button cuts both top and bottom threads and pulls
the top thread to the underside of the quilt. The auto thread cutter in
my Janome MC6500 also prepares the threads for starting the next
sewing stitches so the threads sort of pile up on the underside to
lock the beginning stitches, and never does the needle un-thread
itself! The presserfoot remains in the down position throughout.
As spoiled as I am with this feature, however, a friend of mine says
the cutting action takes too long for her and she is much faster with
her scissors.
Mickie

Old November 18th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

And the Pfaff I used in the class in Houston left a fairly long (about
1") tail when it cut the threads.
I have seen some which did a very good job of clipping the threads, but
it does seem to take longer than using my snips to do it.
Note: when I am really working at it, and want to clip the bobbin thread
in the "middle" of fabric, I gently tug on the top thread to pull the
bobbin up a bit and clip both at the same time, from the top. Eliminates
the bobbin "tail". G

Have Fun,
Pati, in Phx

Old November 18th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Thank you all for reporting in; I was very curious about what the SM thread
cutters could do. I'm right persnickety about loose threads and do what
Pati C does - I pull the bobbin to the thread to the top. If the SM cutter
is going to leave a thread that I would have to come back and hunt for and
clip closer, I'm not sure that's a great gain. It is truly not a big deal
on real quilts but when I can bear the blizzard of Minkee, they at least
need to be tied some. An SM cutter sounded pretty good for that. Polly

"Pati C." wrote And the Pfaff I used in the class in Houston left a fairly

Thread Cutter Pendant bluemaxx Beads 5 February 23rd 07 09:45 AM
I built an Ironing Center for myself! Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 19 October 20th 06 06:40 PM
after market thread cutter [email protected] Sewing 8 February 1st 05 07:03 PM
Substitute SM thread cutter needed Dot Quilting 7 April 13th 04 01:56 AM
My stand that DH built Joan Robertson Needlework 1 October 21st 03 01:48 PM